iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops: August 26, 2017

Author Topic: 2017 Miamisburg Whirled Top Fest (and 2018 too)  (Read 13289 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: 2017 Miamisburg Whirled Top Fest (and 2018 too)
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »

Wow! I wish I was that there trying Jim's spinning paraphernalia instead of hunkering inside with the edge of Hurricane Harvey outside.

But I'm planning to be there next year for Miamisburg's anniversary (and possible spintop nationals.)  :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »

I am dieing laughing.  We read lincolnrick's post and were howling because we just did the bow and arrow trick!  It was thrilling.  Jim caught one and let me get one, too.  It felt pretty good when I got that spinner from the expert William Tell shooting of Kirk.  There might be a photo.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »

Too much FUN!! Was bummed out about missing the Fest this year so I made some string.

Next year I think I will just tell Bev that we are going to celebrate our 55th anniversary in Miamisburg at the Burg anniversary.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 12:21:11 AM »

It is midnight and our 18th top fest has been put to bed.  I am the next one to be put to bed.  But first, I wanted to highlight a couple things before I forget.

It sure was slow going with the children at 5pm but more and more trickled in and we ended up with five teams.  The mayor threw out the first spinner and told us next year we are the featured event of the month.  The whole year the city will be celebrating the 200th birthday of the city and it feels good to have the city behind our fest to push it and publicize it.  We should have a nice crowd next year and there is also the added significance of possibly hosting nationals.  The mayor was excited about that.

Even though the youth battling started off slowly it sure picked up steam and by the end our last two teams were absolutely wonderful.  Time after time after time they threw all their tops in the arena and had long spins for exciting battles.  It was a terrific finish.  Everyone was thrilled with their top gift from Larry D and all want to send their thanks to him.  We then had about an hour before we were officially done with the event.  Amazingly, a number of adults (and youth too) were still too busy enjoying everything that they stayed and continued their activities.  I had to push to get everyone to move to Bullwinkle's Top Hat Bistro for the evening meal. 

The meal, like always, was wonderful.  Sadly, we struggled to hear each other speak when a group of youth football players came in with all their enthusiasm.  When they left, we chuckled at the quiet and enjoyed some good conversation.  Of course, we had to enjoy a story or two about autographed pictures and two pieces of pizza.

Some then traveled to see the 2017 version of the Hall of Fame.  It is always wonderful to hear people's stories surrounding different items and their memories.  A few Mexican tops were left over from a previous fest and they were shared with the visitors.  Once again, many thanks go to Larry D.  It seems like we can't get out of the hall without a good game of plinko and rascal spinning.

I am wiped.  I look forward to another worship service tomorrow with little comments about spinning and the "whirled" and hymns that hint at our top activities.  I might also be looking forward to an afternoon nap after that.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:23:47 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »

Salut Mike , hi All

"I've got a kick out of you " as the jazz song says

:D

You know, with Ludo we arrive as the same state as you : the festival is over
it's late you're washed  but (and) there this sweet sensation of the things done

you wrote " there is also the added significance of possibly hosting nationals.  The mayor was excited about that.

what a great challenge !*
ITSA will boost whatever is needed to make it true

bravo again for your PUNCH

bro-jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »

Thank you Mike for hosting another fun packed festival.  Thanks also to all those participants that help make these events enjoyable, what a great group!

I don't have a dog and didn't realize I wanted one of these, you probably don't realize you want one either but Jim Neff knew he had to have one.  I bet the Hickerson's would know what to do with it.

Jolly egg dog toy 12" size about $15 at Walmart

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »

congratulations sir on another successful festival!!!

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »

Another great festival Mike and another great sermon too. And I learned a lot about license plates. We had a smaller gathering but just as much fun. We got lots of free goodies and Don and David gave me some valuable Jack String which I sorely needed. JohnM was nice enough to give us a tour of the Physics Demonstration Room with lots of neat gadgets. Kirk, Rachel, Lynn, Owen and Jay all added to the tomfoolery. Lots of laughs.

If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »

You are so kind, JNeff.  It was great to have you at the fest with all your creative creations and it was also great to have you in church.  You were great at the children's sermon.  Little Mia will never forget that top spinning on her head.  And the spinning swimming pool had everyone mesmerized!  How fun.

Kirk and Rachel joined us for one of the extra verses on the closing hymn.....we are spinning in the light of God.  Everything was going well then I had a loud drop with my larger top (hdpe rotomold).  Oh oh!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »

I'm home safe and sound from another wonderful top fest in Miamisburg!  My thanks to both John M and the Earl of Whirl for the marvelous hospitality.  It's a long drive from New York, but worth every single mile!

One of the highlights of my trip this year was joining spinlynn, butterfingers and Rachel in earning our eight-trick patches.  I've talked about doing it for years, and have finally made it happen.  Now to start practicing for my sixteen-trick patch at the fest next year....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »

Glad you made it back safely.  It was a thrill to see you and the others get the 8 patch.  You guys were terrific!!!  There is a picture of the award winning crew out there.  I think Jay has that photo.  We HAVE to get it.

My only regret is that we did not get to play ukelele together.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »

That would have been fun!  We should try to set aside a few minutes next year, although it sounds like it may shape up to be a very busy festival next year in particular....

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 12:17:15 AM »

Wow what a great time! Yes we have top archery photos and many others.  We will get them posted after returning home from visiting family and friends.

This year's fest was different than others with no howling whip tops in the church. "Why?" you may be asking.  Well, the weather was so perfect we did not need to retreat to the AC of the church. So we just stayed outside and threw tops from about 10 AM to about 8 PM. 

Not only where 4 of the 8 trick patches awarded, but I got my freestyle patch. (at long last)  Also the on site official Spintastics patch judge decreed that with my coaching of the 8 trick recipients and my teaching many kids to throw tops at several different events over a several year period, that I should have an instructor patch. (very exciting!)  All 4 of the 8 patch recipients are well on the way to the 16 patch.

Thanks Jack for sending some thick grade Eh string. It is as good as the thin string that you make.
We all missed the Hickerson family and pray that all will be well and that we can see them next time.
I still have the tune to "Spinning in the light of God" running through my head.

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »

Already looking forward to next year. John Markus tops were available and he was kind enough to provide access to some interesting physics items to play with on Friday. I will make sure to play ukes with Mailman and Pastor Mike next time out. Valuable instruction received from Johnm and JNeff - thank you, gentlemen! Enjoyed throwing clubs with Spinlynn - will try to fit in more juggling next year. The contest was well attended on Saturday although it looked like only a handful of kids early on. My personal collection of Grade eh string diminished a bit as I tried to get everyone a piece to play with and take home. I asked Pastor Mike to consider putting a piece in the museum. Owen, I will get your string to you when we see each other at RIT this spring. I missed seeing those who could not attend and enjoyed my time with those who were there.

SpinLynn

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »

What a great gathering in Miamisburg! I certainly enjoyed spending time with everyone. Thanks to all who shared their tops and knowledge (and patience...). Thanks for John's welcome to Cincinnati and Mike's to his museum. Can we do it all again this weekend?