iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• 2017 US National Spintop Contest: October 06, 2017 - October 08, 2017
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 National YoYo Contest is in Chico  (Read 24322 times)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: 2017 National YoYo Contest is in Chico
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »

I love it. Make them big and get them airborne. Big Tops ======  BIG FUN. P.S AND MORE BLOOD. And we all know the audience loves to see more blood.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »

Great report Dave! Thanks for all the work!

I guess that's Jose's son in the award pictures. He's obviously super proud at his dad!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Beau? Beau Compton, aka, RunBMC, a young lefty? Of course he should had competed! He used to post on the forum (before Facebook kidnapped him), went to the Miamisburg festival one or two times, and invented some tricks.

I want to thank The Earl for his donation of $100 through ITSA to support this nats.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »

I noticed, too.  The other thing I noticed was Jose's yellow t-shirt.  Want!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »

It great to hear the news and have a high level of play even though not very many.
Thanks Dave for running the show.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »

Yup, that's my son Felix. He had a great time and thought it would be fun for him to get on stage.
Future yoyo competitor I hope.
I noticed, too.  The other thing I noticed was Jose's yellow t-shirt.  Want!!
Great you noticed the shirt. I will be making more soon just made a couple for the contest. The back is even better. I can ask sizes before I order more if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

Thanks to Mike for the support and thanks to Dave for the great report.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »

Great you noticed the shirt. I will be making more soon just made a couple for the contest. The back is even better. I can ask sizes before I order more if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

By all means, let me know!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »

I cannot believe John Bozung won a second battle trophy at nats! Lucky guy!
I agree wit Dave, we should make the top battle a part of the official schedule and drum up the anticipation. It's a great event to bring new people from the yo-yo community to tops.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »

I think the battle top is one of the best ways to get people into tops.
I plan to go to the Bay area Classic and see about doing a spintop demo in the coming year. I definitely think there is more we can do to promote tops during yoyo shows. I even think we should have regional /state competitions for tops just like yoyo. I think this would increase participation. All we have to do is tag along with yoyo since they already have a good system.

TheSpinForce

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »

Wow its great to see the huge first place top being not only thrown, but REBOUNDED! I loved watching Jose and Toms routines, they both had some amazing top skills, and do agree those yellow shirts are pretty cool.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2017, 11:23:08 PM »

Thanks, o dazzling one, for the great report.  Love to hear about the new battletop board success.  Sorry to hear no tops were for sale by any vendors.  Love to hear about Beau throwing again.  Sorry to hear overall numbers were down for both yoyo and top players.  Love to hear about the t-shirts and the fine freestyles by all.  Wish I could have been there!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2017, 12:34:10 AM »

YoYoExpert was there vending and they didn't bring tops? Odd. Maybe it was a calculated decision. He brought a black Gulia to BAC and I bought that so it came home with me.

I'm just sort of surprised he didn't have at least a few of the new YYF tops, then right after they get back he drops a push for Bearing King tops.

Wish I could have gone, armed with all sorts of spinning toys. OK, maybe just yoyos and spin tops. However, things back home required me to stay put and I know I did the right thing. I'm just happy spin tops got to take main stage this year because they were absent from 2016. I can't say if I can go to Chicago for 2018 but that's a ways off.

I'll be cruising the videos this weekend and enjoying those. Well done to the winners. Some great performances!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

TheSpinForce

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2017, 02:15:45 AM »

Speaking of having more spintop related events at yoyo contests, I'd be very interested in helping with this. I find myself at a few contests in California like BAC, Cal States, Nationals and usually try to represent diabolo. These contests used to have diabolo freestyle a long time ago, but now no longer host that... I've been wondering how to bring it back; last year I had a trick ladder to the side during BAC. I'd gladly host that and a Spin Top ladder and/or battle tops... :)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2017, 04:44:17 AM »

Speaking of having more spintop related events at yoyo contests, I'd be very interested in helping with this. I find myself at a few contests in California like BAC, Cal States, Nationals and usually try to represent diabolo. These contests used to have diabolo freestyle a long time ago, but now no longer host that... I've been wondering how to bring it back; last year I had a trick ladder to the side during BAC. I'd gladly host that and a Spin Top ladder and/or battle tops... :)

I'm busy running sound at CalStates and BAC, but my crew is top-notch and can take over for me since I already take care of the grunt work, leaving them to do easy running. Of course, that's how I like it to be for them.

I can't do much with diabolo yet, but I always appreciate having your performances, as it breaks up the monotony of yoyos. I think the idea of battle tops is a good idea. Take people from beginner to battling for fun. We just need a spintop freestyle and my skills aren't up to that yet. I've stopped progressing. This is temporary. I just have to keep pushing and I get through it. At least I'm stalled on trying to learn lasso from hand, which is my choosing.

What is needed is a spin top retailer. I don't think I can talk JD into carrying tops. I just don't see it fitting into his business model. YoYo people are predictable. If we can get their interest, we can get a few to buy and make a real effort. Give them help and a challenge, most of those will rise to it. I think you're a great example because despite your spintop experience, you completed at 2 major events. Then again, your strengths are with performance and learning skill toys. The competitive aspect can be exploited.

I say get an 8-trick latter going. Spinner, scoop, boomerang, Merry go Round, crazy 8, Mach5, Sky rocket and cork screw. If you want to make it easier, add in arm walker and wire walker for fixed axle challenge.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up