iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinning Top of Death  (Read 2852 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Spinning Top of Death
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »

Muahaahaa -- meet my next gladiator top, glow and all. The victims will put up good fights now and then, but you know what's gonna happen eventually.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

trav1121

Re: Spinning Top of Death
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »

I saw this around last week or so. The big top completely annihilated the beyblade top(and the other ones for that matter). Luckily no one got hurt by the beyblade shooting off so fast after being hit(could have easily knocked out a tooth or put out an eye). These videos of things melting things/smashing things to pieces are very intriguing because I personally would never attempt such a thing in fear of loosing a finger(or getting burned very badly).

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:31:12 AM »

At the end, the guy said that they should really be using a taller metal safety enclosure, and I agree.

To me, the most amazing thing about this video series is that the woman seems to be as much into these guy stunts as the guy. At first I thought, "Why can't all wives/girlfriends be like that?" But that would be the end of human civilization, because then there'd be nobody to save guys from themselves.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »

At the end, the guy said that they should really be using a taller metal safety enclosure, and I agree.

To me, the most amazing thing about this video series is that the woman seems to be as much into these guy stunts as the guy. At first I thought, "Why can't all wives/girlfriends be like that?" But that would be the end of human civilization, because then there'd be nobody to save guys from themselves.

I agree on both counts. This experiment has the potential to be deadly.

A very surprising top behavior is what happened at 8:10 (slow motion at 9:02) when the top changes its spinning axis.  :o

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

A very surprising top behavior is what happened at 8:10 (slow motion at 9:02) when the top changes its spinning axis.  :o

That caught my eye, too. Immediately started thinking about how to make that happen in LEGO. Might even be doable given that it works with a spoked rotor. Guessing that the rotor's roughly isometric symmetry in the video made it easier for the spin axis to flip from the stem to one of the spokes and stay there for a while.

Really love their slo-mo sequences. The balloon filled with glitter was sheer video magic! The evolving air flows made visible by the glitter tracers were absolutely mesmerizing.

Everybody has an inner physicist, and a good one at that. Often, all you have to do to get in touch with it and tap into its expertise is to give it a really good look at what's going on. High-speed video is great for that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:32:50 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »

good vid, Thanx...

"all you have to do is to give it a really good look at what's going on."

this statement can be applied to many different topics:16th century poetry comes to my mind; about John Donne's works, I tell the students to READ  ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »

Not exactly a top due to the hydrostatic support, but close...

This Finnish couple clearly loves rotary motion as much as we do. They're just better equipped than most of us and sometimes take it in different directions than we usually do. Would love to go visit them and get in on some of the fun.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »

Oh my!!!  That is some crazy stuff.  I suddenly do not feel so warm today.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

trav1121

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »

These people do some dangerous stuff lol. Luckily I live in Alabama and we don't see frozen lakes too often here. Crazy. I would not have the guts to do half the stuff they do, one slip and I'm gone x_x