iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintastics Trompo Grande CRACKED :(  (Read 5885 times)

trav1121

Spintastics Trompo Grande CRACKED :(
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »

I received my Trompo Grande in the mail today and low and behold, unlucky me gets one with a crack in the bottom where the metal tip is inserted. I was very excited to start my regen journey with this top, but now I'm scared if I spin it and it lands on the tip(on a missed catch) that the crack will worsen and lead to a chunk of plastic breaking off. I also notice that the tip kinda just fell out and is very loose. Anyone else have this problem? And is this an easily fixed issue that I shouldn't worry about? I've read about how great Spintastics is and this is my first top from them. It's size, shape, and weight seem great to me but this issue with the tip is kinda a let down :( Hopefully yoyosam will be willing to replace it(sadly another six day wait if they do :( ).
On an unrelated note, we really need a "general/random spin top discussion" thread for questions like these. I feel bad for posting a new thread for question that can be easily answered/issues that can be easily addressed lol

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Re: Spintastics Trompo Grande CRACKED :(
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »

Recently, my two Trompo Grande tops had the tips go loose. Jack kindly told me that to cut a square from a shipping bag, then press the tip and patch into the top. Excise the rest. Problem solved! Super happy and super simple.

In your case, I think you have a defective from the get-go top. Sorry. I think your best bet is to contact YoYoSam.

Odds are I'm actually going to use my Trompo Grande tops for when I get ready to fully explore and learn regens myself. As they are a little larger than many of my tops, I think it might be easier. Just in my work on lasso from hand using bearing tips, I am finding that size really doesn't matter, just well practiced.

It might be time for me to order another couple of these tops. I do like them.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

trav1121

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »

Recently, my two Trompo Grande tops had the tips go loose. Jack kindly told me that to cut a square from a shipping bag, then press the tip and patch into the top. Excise the rest. Problem solved! Super happy and super simple.

In your case, I think you have a defective from the get-go top. Sorry. I think your best bet is to contact YoYoSam.

Odds are I'm actually going to use my Trompo Grande tops for when I get ready to fully explore and learn regens myself. As they are a little larger than many of my tops, I think it might be easier. Just in my work on lasso from hand using bearing tips, I am finding that size really doesn't matter, just well practiced.

It might be time for me to order another couple of these tops. I do like them.
I emailed them. I'm not sure if this small crack will affect play as it's on the outside of the bottom of the top and surprisingly doesn't exceed into the tips slot. There are these small bits of plastic that seem to be preventing it from running any further. I've also been practicing my lassos with a smaller bearing top (with the logic that if I can catch the smaller my catches on the bigger one would be more consistent). A lot of players seem to prefer the bigger tops as they appear to spin at a slower rate making them precess slower giving you more time to do the trick (also makes them better for regenerating and getting many reps).

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »

I'm not sure if this small crack will affect play as it's on the outside of the bottom of the top and surprisingly doesn't exceed into the tips slot.

as they appear to spin at a slower rate making them precess slower giving you more time to do the trick (also makes them better for regenerating and getting many reps).

this statement is how shall i say......."wrong"  ;D
the faster the rpm the slower the precession  ;)

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »

Have had many orders from yoyosam and even visited their small retail shop a couple of times. Only one issue once with a juggling beanbag with a bad seam. They replaced it immediately with no hassles and an apology. I would suspect they will take good care of you.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »

On an unrelated note, we really need a "general/random spin top discussion" thread for questions like these. I feel bad for posting a new thread for question that can be easily answered/issues that can be easily addressed lol

The creator of this forum would rather you ask the question instead of having to go look for the answer yourself.  If the topic needs to be merged with a pre-existing topic, he will do it.  If you don't know where to put a topic, just put it in Latest Spin, and he will move it if necessary.

If the Grande is not cracked at the tip hole when you get it, it will crack eventually, but if you don't play over extremely hard surfaces it will hold up for many years.  Use tissue paper or even saran wrap around the tip to get a snug fit on a loose tip.

The QSH is far better than the Grande IMO, the aluminum body makes a huge difference.  I don't like the capped crown and the dependence on electrical tape, but that can be modified. 

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »

Have yoyo sam replace it. For now just go to the dollar store and pick up some C.A GLUE. Use it on the tip and inside of top. And get out there and have some fun. For the money you just can't beat SPINTASTIC.

trav1121

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »

as they appear to spin at a slower rate making them precess slower giving you more time to do the trick (also makes them better for regenerating and getting many reps).

this statement is how shall i say......."wrong"  ;D
the faster the rpm the slower the precession  ;)
Oh, my bad. I read that larger tops do spin at a slower rate and precess slower on the rollecoaster trick notes on ta0.com, I probably just misunderstood what it was trying to say? Lol I have no clue what I'm talking about tbh Most of the info I relay is from something I've read here(whether I understand what I'm reading or not). Thanks for the correction :)

The creator of this forum would rather you ask the question instead of having to go look for the answer yourself.  If the topic needs to be merged with a pre-existing topic, he will do it.  If you don't know where to put a topic, just put it in Latest Spin, and he will move it if necessary.

If the Grande is not cracked at the tip hole when you get it, it will crack eventually, but if you don't play over extremely hard surfaces it will hold up for many years.  Use tissue paper or even saran wrap around the tip to get a snug fit on a loose tip.

The QSH is far better than the Grande IMO, the aluminum body makes a huge difference.  I don't like the capped crown and the dependence on electrical tape, but that can be modified.
Bad experiences with other  forums from different hobbies led me to believe that most people on the internet will jump on your case for something as silly as a question. You guys seem like a good bunch of people though, and it's a good change to not feel like an idiot posting a whole thread revolved around a question because it is difficult to find specific answers when you aren't sure of what to ask to begin with lol. And I figured that even if I got another Grande, a few good drops on the floor would lead to cracks anyhow(been having to play over my hard floor since the weather has been so terrible this past week). Thanks for the advice :).
Have yoyo sam replace it. For now just go to the dollar store and pick up some C.A GLUE. Use it on the tip and inside of top. And get out there and have some fun. For the money you just can't beat SPINTASTIC.
Not sure if they'd want a top back that I've glued and tampered with lol(their return policy states items must be in unused condition). I'm more than likely gonna just keep it and be extra careful playing over hard surfaces(I also have a 5$ off coupon along with 500 points on yoyosam, another one would be pretty cheap). I agree though, Spintastics are a great brand.

studio42

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »

I completely agree with this. I'm guessing many of us started with low-cost tops, so the $20 or so Trompo Grande and Bearing for me have been very enjoyable tops. I find myself more drawn to my Strummol8 bearing tops. Then I got the QSH(in bearing and fixed) and for the money, I was completely blown away with how good these were. Definitely a company not to be ignored!! I'm learning the lasso from hand mostly using my QSH bearing for now and will likely move to the fixed tip soon and then begin learning regens.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:08:49 AM »

This looks FUN. And love the music.

trav1121

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »

Yoyosam kindly replaced the top and said I could keep the other one for spare parts after I offered to send it back to them. Their customer service is great and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for any skill toys. Although the bottom is cracked on this Trompo, it still plays very well and has a decently long spin time for a fixed-tip plastic top. I've been practicing my lasso's with it with much success(much more than the YYF elec-trick and my bearing king). Will definitely buy more Spintastics tops in the future. I noticed that the websites that sell spintastics don't have many left in stock, or are completely out of stock, are they being discontinued or are they just really popular among top players?

studio42

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »

I think the new go-to place for Spintastics is yoyoplay.com. I think I read somewhere on here they aren't being discontinued.  I am guessing they do big runs to build stock then push them out to market in waves. It probably makes more sense for them to do it this way.

They got some good pricing too. Lower than YYE and YoYoSam.

I like their stuff. I do like other stuff better but I would not mind buying more Trompos and QSH tops when I have some funds available for that(month or two)

trav1121

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:56 PM »

I think the new go-to place for Spintastics is yoyoplay.com. I think I read somewhere on here they aren't being discontinued.  I am guessing they do big runs to build stock then push them out to market in waves. It probably makes more sense for them to do it this way.

They got some good pricing too. Lower than YYE and YoYoSam.

I like their stuff. I do like other stuff better but I would not mind buying more Trompos and QSH tops when I have some funds available for that(month or two)
Yoyoplay is actually more expensive than Yoyosam(on most of the tops). Yoyosam offers free shipping on all orders 10$ or more but you have to spend 50$ on Yoyoplay for their free shipping(shipping for a top is around 5$ or so). Yoyosam also has a reward program(that gives discounts with points) and will usually give 5$ off coupons and stickers with your order(not sure about yoyoplay). Yoyoplay does have more variety as far as colors and different tops though(like way more variety lol). Tbh I've never played with any top better than Spintastics(I've only played with bearing kings, duncan tournament, imperial, and elec-tricks) I'm sure there are better tops for a higher price but as someone said earlier, you just can't beat Spintastics for the price. I've got my lassos more consistent with this top and I'm now looking to buy a bearing version to practice rollercoaster to hand, and although you can't regen bearing tips, it should allow me more spin time to get the trick down before doing it with a fixed tip.