iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Why do you like tops so much?"  (Read 5429 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
"Why do you like tops so much?"
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »

After posting my umpteenth top video on YouTube yesterday (below), this comment appeared: "Why do you like tops so much?"

Fair question. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I replied:
1. Deliciously complicated physics and math behind such simple objects.
2. Many interesting engineering challenges in tops made of LEGO.
3. Many interesting visual design opportunities, both in resting and spinning tops under naked-eye, video, and even still photo viewing.
4. I just like them.

How would you have answered?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:10:31 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: "Why do you like tops so much?"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »

A top can be different things. At times it's a tool I use, a design I am working on, an interesting physics phenomenon or just simply art. The many aspects of the top are what make it so appealing to me.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »

One day while waiting for my car to be inspected at a gas station I was playing/practicing with a top. A guy walking by said "a miss spent youth?" No, I asked what he did for a living. He answered a carpenter. I asked what tools he used. He said a hammer. I said as That Yo-Yo Guy I presented school programs and used spin toys to teach science so this top is a tool that I use to make a living. He was completely  dumb founded, and had no reply. :) :)
Practice hard and play safe.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »

My answer is very simple:

"I simply like them".

I saw a video of Andre Boulay playing with some tops in one of his Dark Magic promo videos and I was "whoah, I don't think I'd seen that before". I found out what it was, watched some more videos and decided "OK, I hope to do SOME of that some day".

I've already exceeded my initial objective, which was to be able to perform corkscrew. I've since stalled but that's OK, I'm getting ready to move forward again.

I simply like them. I find them fun to play with. I choose to enjoy my spare time using skill toys. May others be able to fill up their spare time with something they enjoy as well. I don't think people should have to really qualify why they do those things that they do. There's skill toys I have zero interest in(or at least it's that way for the moment). I don't criticize other people's choices. I also reserve the right to change my mind regarding any skill toy.

Now, I think I need to get to YYE and order some more "recreational rotational devices".

Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 02:43:55 AM »

hello Jeremy

I've had to answer this question about yoyos and tops too

to me ,it's the moment "in suspension" when the yoyo sleeps or the top spins
it's fugitive, won't last long ,defies the laws of physics....during this "extra" time
everything is changed(......)

in addition
yoyos and tops are great tools for communication:it's present somewhere in everybody's head, like kites , it touches the young and the old,it embodies culture,poetry,the fun of playing (...)

to develop this question it would require an interview:
that would be  another project: talking about tops for 2 minutes and posting the vid on the tube ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »

Can't believe this question has only drawn 4 replies in almost as many weeks! Has it been hashed and rehashed too many times already?

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »

Hmm perhaps as in the Eames classic film "Tops" 1969, there just are no words to explain it. :)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:39:17 PM »

Hmm perhaps as in the Eames classic film "Tops" 1969, there just are no words to explain it. :)

No doubt about it, the attraction partly defies explanation for me, too. But I can still point to some of the things that draw me to tops.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »

Can't believe this question has only drawn 4 replies in almost as many weeks! Has it been hashed and rehashed too many times already?
I have not answered because I would have to write a book!  ::)  ;)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »

I have not answered because I would have to write a book!  ::)  ;)

Fair enough, I guess, but you've already written one book. What's another?  >:D

Off topic: One unexpected benefit of joining the ITSA is that it got me a one of your ITSA business cards. And there I found your avatar, but this time large enough to make out the details. Never could figure it out from the teeny tiny version the forum. Cool!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »

I suspect that others, like me, are a bit afraid to answer.  If we did, we would also need to answer questions such as, " Why do you like... the beach ...  your wife ... trains ... "

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »

Tops are a PHYSICAL - MENTAL - AND A ARTISTIC CHALLENGE. I have met and came into contact with so many different people. And I love SHARING. I think I know what fun is, and TOPS ARE FUN. And there is nothing like having a big top hit you in the face.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »

Off topic: One unexpected benefit of joining the ITSA is that it got me a one of your ITSA business cards. And there I found your avatar, but this time large enough to make out the details. Never could figure it out from the teeny tiny version the forum. Cool!

You have visited www.ta0.com, haven't you?  ???

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »

You have visited www.ta0.com, haven't you?  ???

Yes, when I first joined the forum. Guess the image failed to register at the time. When you're 68, things do that now and then.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:20:33 PM by ta0 »

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »

I first spun a top in.  Became serious about learning in 1962.  Started making Watts' Tops in 1993.  Why do I enjoy them so much??  Been part of my life over parts of 8 decades.  Just fun and challenging.
 :) :) :)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

trav1121

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »

They are challenging, fun, and have a great community behind them. They also are an "ageless" toy that people have been enjoying for thousands of years, with so much history behind them. What's not to like? 8)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »

They are challenging, fun, and have a great community behind them. They also are an "ageless" toy that people have been enjoying for thousands of years, with so much history behind them. What's not to like? 8)

agreed @-@

also....

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:28:45 PM by ta0 »

trav1121

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »

agreed @-@

also....
Great meme haha. Indeed.  8)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:27:41 PM by ta0 »
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up