iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: K'Neffy string twister  (Read 24052 times)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
Re: K'Neffy string twister
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »

It threw me off a bit when the parts came in because the colors don't match the gear box in Chris's video.  You might find these photos helpful when you start to put yours together. 

Hades

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »

Omg that's going to be real helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do this :-)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 12:52:24 AM »

Renee. Can you post the model numbers for me. I'm getting ready to order another one.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »

Renee. Can you post the model numbers for me. I'm getting ready to order another one.

I used the list that Chris Neff had put together. 

91313   4   Gold Metallic Gear- 1In.
90902   1   Standard Orange Connector (I added this for the stopper)
90904   8   Standard Red Connector
90908   2   Standard White Connector
90911   4   Gold Track Splice
90951   8   Standard White Rod- 1.3125 In.
90953   5   Standard Yellow Rod- 3.4375 In.
90960   8   Standard Black Rod-.75 In.
90985   1   Red Gear 2.25 In.
90994   20   Blue Spacer
91224   4   Silver Spacer (3 Wide)
91440   5   Standard Metallic Blue Clip Connector
91900   5   Standard Bronze (Clip) Connector

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »

Thanks Renee, I will look at it again. The last time I used the list some of the number did not match. I'm old - so I'll look at it again. I want to make a six driver using 1/4 RED OAK two.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »

The last time I used the list some of the number did not match.

The first time I tried to order, they were out of a couple of the parts on the list.  One of them, they had the same part but in a different color, so it had a different number.  But, they were still totally out of one of the pieces.  So, I waited a week or so and tried again.  That time they had all of the parts in stock.

I've thought about making a twister out of wood to withstand the enthusiasm of the grandkids.  They've had a lot of fun with this one, but the center axle got a little bent at some point.  I will eventually replace it.  The twister still works, but it wobbles a bit like an unbalanced spin top. 

I always twist my strings much longer than I need them, because it's fun to experiment with different strings.  When I finally trim them to spinning length, the kids have a great time making bracelets and such with the trimmings. 

Hades

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »

That stopper peice that Renee is talking about in the video number 91902. I ordered 20 of them from ebay so I will have a few extra. I did not need that many, but that's all they had. I did want to order from knex. I don't know if it's just me, but it takes them forever to fill an order. I'm sure they have a lot of parts to shift trough. It says it can take up to 15 days just to get the order ready to ship. I ordered on 6/12 said I will get them on the 26th. When I get the ones I ordered from eBay I will have a few extra if anyone needs one PM me your address I will send free of charge.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 01:52:51 PM »

That stopper peice that Renee is talking about in the video number 91902. I ordered 20 of them from ebay so I will have a few extra. I did not need that many, but that's all they had. I did want to order from knex. I don't know if it's just me, but it takes them forever to fill an order. I'm sure they have a lot of parts to shift trough. It says it can take up to 15 days just to get the order ready to ship. I ordered on 6/12 said I will get them on the 26th. When I get the ones I ordered from eBay I will have a few extra if anyone needs one PM me your address I will send free of charge.

If you have any of those stopper pieces left, I would love to have one.  The clothes pin has been working, but the 91902 has to make it easier. 

Hades

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »

Yeah I have some let pm me and I will send you a few out

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 07:12:52 PM »

Anyone has any idea on where I could buy knex part ( namely, what I need to do the string twister ) in canada without being hit be a horrible shipping ?

I didn't check but I'm 99% sure that shipping will be prohibitive if I order from the .com site!

Thanks,
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »

Shipping kills the price every time. Make sure your order is correct, and maybe order some extra parts. You don't want to pay shipping again.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »

So, Am I crazy but the knex site don't seem to sell specific parts anymore ? Can anyone else check if I'm crazy ?

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »

If you're into a little more work than plugging some k'nex together and are able to find some basic gears (and have basic tools like a drill) you can make one pretty easy.  Mine's home brewed and works pretty well, I was able to salvage the gears.  Initially I tried making my own gears... and you can see my twister does not have homemade gears...

My sting twister was loosely based on this:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:16:40 AM by Jospin »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »

Yeah I had found that video but I have no idea where to salvage gears...
I'm okay with building it up once I have the gears per say!

I'll hunt down on stuff I could destroy :)
Cheers,

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »

Maybe a string-maker would be a good project for 3D printing.  :)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up