iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintastics Sidewinder solder and bearing mod  (Read 14401 times)

kevinm

Spintastics Sidewinder solder and bearing mod
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »

thanks for posting another excellent video!
i recently received a damaged blizzard top that would probably be
usable with that second bearing modification, did you have to fabricate the new, longer
tip, or did you modify an existing one from a different top?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:25:30 PM by ta0 »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:43 AM »

Chris can you describe such modification of the tip and lead solded?
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »

yocephus & pulp -

The solder I use for weight (about 5 grams), I just cut it to fit and file the ends until it fits snug and tape over it.  Seems hold spin better than with Spintastic's internal weight ring (about 6 grams).  I've tried both at once also, but the solder weight seems sufficient.

I can't seem to get a Spintastic's bearing over the post, so I used a SuperYo Nitro Bearing which has the same (or very similar) outside diameter, but with a larger innner diameter.  Two wraps of electrical tape keeps the post centered in the bearing.  I'm not sure if there is a better way of doing this, but this seems to work.  Trouble is, I only have 3 Nitro bearings, and not sure where to get more.

EDIT:  The tape on the rim of the cap is HVAC tape (electrical tape works ok), just one layer to grab the ring a little better.  Also, in case anybody was wondering, that's white spraypaint inside the green half of the sidewinder, I paint the insides of most translucent tops to make them more visible.

By the way, an Imperial ring works pretty good on Spintatic's Trompo Bearing also.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:06:17 PM by yophosis »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Re: Spintastics Sidewinder solder and bearing mod
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »

Better than expected.

kevinm

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 01:32:36 PM »

thank you for the explanation (and photos!!)
the tip on the blizzard i got does not go beyond the first bearing, so it may be time to see if i can figure out how to make a tip on the lathe my boss has stuck away in the back of the shop.
i want to try to make a tip for a rip-cord mod too.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »

A metal tip Rip Chord, fixed or bearing, would rock!  I've read a few people have chisled at trompo grande's tip and made it work ok for the rip-chord.

you can USED TO BE ABLE get long-post blizzard tips here:  http://www.spintastics.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=64
Just noticed tonight (1/8/2010) they've switched to the short ones at the online store.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:08:19 AM by yophosis »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »

so it may be time to see if i can figure out how to make a tip on the lathe my boss has stuck away in the back of the shop.
i want to try to make a tip for a rip-cord mod too.

:o a lathe is a terrible thing to waste  :o

I made this custom steel tip for my Ripcord because the plastic tip secured with the oring never fit straight and I seem to need more of a lip on the tip to stay on the string.  With the standard oring weight inside, this top really likes to be horizontal for me and I've had my best Joker Choker runs with it.  The tip presses in nicely, but I like to be confident that it won't pull out (like my currently one bearing Blizzard) so I have a delrin washer fit to the inner bearing position and pinch the assembly with a #6-32 screw threaded into the tip.

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:29:40 PM »

Mtntop makes custom metal tips for ripcords. I was gifted one of his tops, and it's a fixed that plays like a bearing. I can do double handed corkscrews with it on a good spin!
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »

A metal tip Rip Chord, fixed or bearing, would rock!  I've read a few people have chisled at trompo grande's tip and made it work ok for the rip-chord.

you can USED TO BE ABLE get long-post blizzard tips here:  http://www.spintastics.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=64
Just noticed tonight (1/8/2010) they've switched to the short ones at the online store.

I'm somewhat in the middle process of fixing up my Rip-Cord. I had a BK bearing point in my Rip-Cord but I have now rounded the point beyond repair. Since you can't get BK points any longer or Rip-Cord points separately, I decided to go ahead and put a Spintastics Grande Trompo point in my Rip-Cord. Instead of chisling at the point I went ahead and cleared out the middle of the top with a 3/8 drill bit. Starting with smaller drill bits first being careful not to crack the top. The Grande Trompo point fits well now in the Rip-Cord. The metal point adds more weight to the top but the top still plays well though.
More modifications later on...

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »

I'm somewhat in the middle process of fixing up my Rip-Cord. I had a BK bearing point in my Rip-Cord but I have now rounded the point beyond repair. Since you can't get BK points any longer or Rip-Cord points separately, I decided to go ahead and put a Spintastics Grande Trompo point in my Rip-Cord. Instead of chisling at the point I went ahead and cleared out the middle of the top with a 3/8 drill bit. Starting with smaller drill bits first being careful not to crack the top. The Grande Trompo point fits well now in the Rip-Cord. The metal point adds more weight to the top but the top still plays well though.
More modifications later on...
The Grande Trompo point added a little more weight to the Rip-Cord than I'm use to  , So now I also made a 1 inch diameter hole in the crown of the Rip-Cord...
A few more modifications.?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »

...So now I also made a 1 inch diameter hole in the crown of the Rip-Cord...

Curious how you made said hole?

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »

@ johnm : woah, that a pretty cool looking tip.  wish i had a lathe to work on too. was using my darn drill to make a acrylic tip when the tip "melted" near finishing and broke in 2.  :'(

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »

@ johnm : woah, that a pretty cool looking tip.  wish i had a lathe to work on too. was using my darn drill to make a acrylic tip when the tip "melted" near finishing and broke in 2.  :'(

Sorry to hear about your broken tip--don't give up!  I'm always impressed by the projects accomplished by people on this board with limited equipment.  However, in addition to its apparently low tolerance to heat, acrylic is a rather brittle choice of material for a top tip.  I would expect it to break after a few impacts on the ground.  A similar but significantly more robust material is polycarbonate (commonly called Lexan).  Polycarbonate is generally available in the same places that acrylic is but it tends to be more expensive but worth it--if you're going to invest the time to make something nice it might as well last.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 11:57:49 PM »

...So now I also made a 1 inch diameter hole in the crown of the Rip-Cord...

Curious how you made said hole?

When twisting the parts of the Rip-Cord apart, When looking at the inside of the Crown part you will see that there is already a 1 inch hole dimension. I put a 1 inch Boring bit inside the hole and continued to drill out the hole being all the way through.
I did happen to use a regular drill bit when starting to clean out the middle part so that the Boring bit would be more flush when making the hole.
One more extra thing I did was add super glue gel into the crown notches and waited for the glue to dry in order to sand smooth later on...
That's all for now.     

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:51:19 AM »

@johnm, thanks for the tip! will try looking for it when I go by some craft/hardware store next time.  supplies are quite limited in range here in Singapore thou, didn't see it the last round when i bought the acrylic. :)

Sorry to hear about your broken tip--don't give up!  I'm always impressed by the projects accomplished by people on this board with limited equipment.  However, in addition to its apparently low tolerance to heat, acrylic is a rather brittle choice of material for a top tip.  I would expect it to break after a few impacts on the ground.  A similar but significantly more robust material is polycarbonate (commonly called Lexan).  Polycarbonate is generally available in the same places that acrylic is but it tends to be more expensive but worth it--if you're going to invest the time to make something nice it might as well last.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up