iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top ID?  (Read 1888 times)

TopEd

• ITSA Jr.
Top ID?
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »

Can anyone positively ID this wood top? I think it was from The Toycrafter but could be wrong.

https://flic.kr/p/PzGEpz

---
Ed

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Top ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »

well thats interesting  ???

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:20:32 PM by Jack »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:46:46 PM »

Yes, that is a Large Toss from The Toycrafter. It came in a wooden box (with the drawing of a plunge top  on the side ??? ).
It is 3" in diameter and 4" tall. It is a nice solid top but the tip is undersized (it is the same as the regular size Toss 'n' Spin). It sold for $55 in 1999!

Here are the pegtops that Toycrafter sold at the time (from a page archived online):

The yahoo UFT collectors club had a batch of them made. They say UFT on the crown, do no have the little button there, and came in a bag instead of the box.

TopEd

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:18:57 PM »

Awesome.  Thanks for that ta0.  Good to know I've not completely lost the plot.  It's a lovely top but very rarely sees any use.  Being solid wood it's heavy and that tip is atrocious.
Any idea what the purpose of the added section on top of the crown was for?  Spins freely but not well enough to be used for say holding during tricks... unless it needs to be oiled/lubed.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:44:33 PM »

I've got a Large Toss (don't know where the box went) like yours TopEd. I don't think the idea of a proportional size metal tip had been thought of yet, so no matter what size the top was it had to taper down to fit Don's little plastic tips.  I also have a UFT made by BC still in the box! Well, a clear plastic kinda box.