iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Miamisburg "Whirled Top Festival", 2016  (Read 18754 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Miamisburg "Whirled Top Festival", 2016
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »

I see Mike found one of my vids already  :)   Here are all of the vids for the day.... enjoy: 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYwPQn2nGjNSLE5qBw_oz4xOYG3wqVnOx

I am working on the pics... there is a high chance they will posted today as well...   It was a fun day hanging with everyone, watching and learning from the professionals... so much fun.  I also learned juggling... ok to be fair I got the count up to 3 and 4... now it is time to practice... Thanks to everyone for coming to Miamisburg for a day of fun  :D

thank you so much jay for recording all that!!! the rest of my day will be spent watching and rewatching these @-@

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »

Thanks so much, Jay!

Ko never gives up, does he?

Next time I want to see the spinning inflatable pool with water and fishes swimming inside!  :P

Each time Jim was on a video I braced myself for the unexpected. But this, although it had no spinning, was over the top! :

:o  :o  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »

Jay, thanks for the videos! I started the playlist and could not stop until the end. So nice to see everybody having such a great time. From Dale and Val having a day named in their honor to the whip tops to Ko's final success with the big top to of course, Jim Neff. What a guy! Always something new. I was like Ta0, on the edge of my seat each time he showed up on screen. So much fun.
And thanks to Mike for once again hosting the Whirled Top Festival. I know as chaotic as it looked, a tremendous amount of planning and work went into this affair and Mike handled it like the pro he is.

El Diabolo

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »

I had a great time (short though it was) in Miamisburg. Visiting with old and new friends... dodging rain... and obtaining two of the prettiest tops I've ever seen from John Markus... a wonderful event that's becoming an annual pilgrimage for me!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:57:26 PM by ta0 »

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »

Looks like a great time was had by all!  It also looks like I need one of those John Markus tops!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:07 PM »

Love that top, El Diabolo!!!

So, Jack......did you compile that video "Here's how a spin top battle works"?  Or is this something "TheDavidBarton" put together?  Either way.......thanks!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 11:09:51 PM »

Love that top, El Diabolo!!!

So, Jack......did you compile that video "Here's how a spin top battle works"?  Or is this something "TheDavidBarton" put together?  Either way.......thanks!

i am but a finder of things my dear sir  ;D

i kind of figured youd know who that was that recorded that lol!!!

edit: come to think of it i do have some barton's in my family but i dont think i know that fellow  ???
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:12:03 PM by Jack »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »

Yes, I guess I do know him.  He was one of the competitors.  He was the one spinning the bearing king.  He and his family are from Waynesville, Ohio which is only a half hour or so from Miamisburg.  I met them in Cleveland at worlds and talked to them about our fest.  I was thrilled to see them come over.  And now I am thrilled about this video.

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »

My whole family had a Wonderful time at The Miamisburg Whirled Top Festival. This event is like a family reunion of sorts. We always look forward to visiting our spin top family and meeting new friends ever year. This year I received more instruction from Johm M on the spin top trick called Suns. While some of us are fortunate and gifted to learn Suns in a day, I'm not one of those people. I have been working on Suns for some time and I think the Johm M tips will help. Our next big adventure was with the Whip Tops that we had inside the church. Whipping a Top is a lot of fun and Miamisburg is the place to come for that action. We always enjoy the festival and getting together at Bullwinkle's to have great food and fellowship. 

I'm already Looking Forward to next Year and hoping I can do Suns by then.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:20:36 PM by Shootist »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »

Glad you had a good time, Shootist.  It is like a family reunion and I am thrilled to have you in the family.

Thanks for mentioning the whip tops.  It is hard to find a place to whip and not get kicked out.  Some of us have some stories about whip top rejection.  We may have banned jneff's black whip material, but the other stuff is still welcome.....and people got into it this year.  Even the great Austen and Eli show had to sit down and take a break after their whipping sessions.  It makes me smile to see that they are human and actually do breathe hard sometimes.

Also along the whipping line is the fact that we were able to whip in a room with a piano.  When there is a steady whipping beat one can play some tunes in time with it, which makes me laugh.  We had some things rolling but it would eventually fall apart.  I am going to request that people work on their whip rhythm for next year and be ready to join me in a duet.....or maybe a trio.....or maybe more!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »

Also along the whipping line is the fact that we were able to whip in a room with a piano.  When there is a steady whipping beat one can play some tunes in time with it, which makes me laugh.  We had some things rolling but it would eventually fall apart.  I am going to request that people work on their whip rhythm for next year and be ready to join me in a duet.....or maybe a trio.....or maybe more!!!
I am not a drummer, but Mike and I got most of the way through 1 verse.  Trying to keep a rhythm really helped my whip consistency.  Strangely I was more consistent whipping left handed.  It got hard to hear the piano over the loud hum of the top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »

Well, done!

By the way, has anybody figured out how to consistently get the tops to whistle? Sometimes I am hitting the guy as much as I can but it remains silent. But then out of nowhere a lash gets it to "whistle" and it can be easy to keep it whistling. But stop and re-start and it goes mute again. It is somewhat frustrating. It seems to me that there is another variable besides pure RPMs, perhaps you need to hit some resonance, but I am not sure.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »

By the way, has anybody figured out how to consistently get the tops to whistle? Sometimes I am hitting the guy as much as I can but it remains silent. But then out of nowhere a lash gets it to "whistle" and it can be easy to keep it whistling. But stop and re-start and it goes mute again. It is somewhat frustrating. It seems to me that there is another variable besides pure RPMs, perhaps you need to hit some resonance, but I am not sure.
I think the piano is the key.  :)  Well really, I think that you get more speed on the top from moderate hits that are well placed than by thrashing the top.  It sounds like some laser tachometer tests are in order.

Jay

• ITSA Jr.
    • Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »

I finally edited and have the pics posted.... close to 300 this time.  Feel free to tag yourself on Facebook... that would be awesome.  For those that do not have FB, I have a different link for you :)

http://www.miamisburg.org/tops.htm

Enjoy everyone     

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »

Wow!!!  Thanks for all those pictures.  That is so nice.

The first 9 seconds or so of this clip show how close we were to a little whip top duet...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up