iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: From Worlds 2016 in Cleveland  (Read 43516 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: From Worlds 2016 in Cleveland
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2016, 08:38:15 AM »

Yes, work back home may have gotten in the way of our serious work in Cleveland (or the recap).  Good luck to everyone who is catching up and trying to get back on track after a wonderful worlds.  Personally, I had funeral visitation yesterday and a funeral today from a call I received while in Cleveland.  It all worked out but I went to worlds with the worry that I might have to leave early because of all of this.  I am thankful for being able to stay for the entire time at the Renaissance.

It is great to read posts from ammmmmigo Mmmmmmmarco.  Glad to hear Shootist and his gang are heading to Miamisburg.  Hope your recovery goes well from your procedure.  Kirk - thanks for highlighting some of the amazing work by Ko.  He did some terrific things in practice.  It is too bad that his style did not translate on to the stage very well. 

Chris really did a fine job, especially after a few early tangles.....three of them, I think he told me, which makes his freestyle even more amazing.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:40:51 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »

this was just uploaded!!!
--NEFF--
ihave it downloaded for archival  ;)
Have you found any others?

no not yet unfortunatly, but they seem to be uploading second place footage now so im hoping in time they might upload the rest of the freestyles, it sucks cus i didnt see any of them on the live feed eh  :(

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »

heres takas 4a performance  8)
very nice taka!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »

Good job, Taka.  I also liked the way the Japanese players added so much to their top spin routines with costumes, special tricks, extra equipment etc.

Thanks for posting this, Jack.  By the way, Jack, I made a trip to the post office late this afternoon.  I am interested in seeing how long it takes for my little letter to arrive.  3 days?  4 days?  more?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2016, 12:35:50 AM »

Worlds16 memories.
We are now back at home and getting back to the regular spin of life. 
Sunday afternoon we left Cleveland for nearby Madison Ohio where my Mom lives.  A phone call to Mom and we agreed to meet at the barn.  A bit after we arrived Pedro, the next door neighbor, came over to chat. After introductions we discussed why we where in Cleveland.  Tops came out of the car and Pedro still had the skills to boomerang and scoop. The his daughter Alex came over. "Oh that is so cool.", she said.  After just a few throws she left.  I wondered what was up.  In a few minutes she returned with her brother and 2 cousins.  None of the kids had ever even seen a top.  A few lessons and we were having 5 man battles in a trash can lid. Alex dominated. She beat me several times.  Mom Maria was also a quick study. (or perhaps just needed a reminder.)  We left 4 sidewinders poorer, but richer in hugs, sincere thanks, a wish that we lived closer and with a promise to have Mom over for dinner.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:55:55 AM by Kirk »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »

I am still pretty busy, but here are a few photos.

Neff rolled into the ballroom with a tool cart converted into a spintop cart. He even added a water bottle carrier.  :o  8)

Lots of tops around! Many modded or made from scratch. And Eric wasn't there!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »

The venue was great and for spintop players better than Tokyo and Prague as there was lots of space with carpet to throw.

You can see the Japanese practicing in the ballroom:

This is a photo of Taka's tray during practice. The white koma with a pointy tip has a bearing. He said it will become a commercial product. It was almost unbeatable on the battles we did . . .

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »

The white koma with a pointy tip has a bearing. He said it will become a commercial product. It was almost unbeatable on the battles we did . . .

That koma was soooo nice!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »

I have to apologize to Eli who wanted to do the corkscrew challenge and to Tyler Young who went to the post office on short notice to mail the trophy. I kept asking the hotel front desk if they had received the trophy, but they told me that "shipping" did not have it. I guess we could have had the contest without the trophy, but the last day was pretty hectic and I completely forgot. When I got home I could check the tracking and had indeed been delivered to the hotel, on Wednesday! After calling the hotel and speaking with "hotel shipping" I finally found that a Priority Mail package would not be handled by them but directly with the front desk. They had it all along!  >:( I asked them to return it to sender. Hopefully it will arrive ok. By the way Kyo had big problems with their "shipping" department.

Ta0 - wasn't the winner supposed to receive some grade EH string?
I am sorry. Backstage I asked Mark if he wanted to hand you the string together with the Chico 2.0 but as we did not have a bag to put all the goodies together he asked me to give them to you afterwards. We had to leave to Miamisburg right after the awards and I forgot.  :-[ I'll put them in the mail.

Before Ann arrived, I tried to get a consolation prize for Jack. Here is a video of the soon after crowned best female yo-yo player in the world, Betty Gallegos from Mexico, dedicating a spintop throw to Canada and Jack:

:)
I would have asked the same from Ann, but she was already being stalked by Mike and I did not want to freak her out  ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:06:40 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »

Now wait!!!  Stalking is way way way too strong of a word.  Her dad reads this forum and I do not want their family thinking anything weird was going on.  Actually, I mostly worked through him so she would feel safe about the whole thing.

I am so glad she came on the last day so we could get the mission accomplished!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2016, 01:29:28 AM »

Stalking is way way way too strong of a word.
Maybe I exaggerated a little bit for literary effect  :P But I did hear that you were stalking ghosts on the 4th floor.  ;D

What is not an exaggeration is that anything could come out of Jim Neff's bag:

Yes, the plate plus cup spins (or it wouldn't work). Yes, the boy behind is spinning a top. Yes, I almost shattered that chandelier with Figaro!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:37:42 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2016, 10:07:11 AM »

By the way, Jack, I made a trip to the post office late this afternoon.  I am interested in seeing how long it takes for my little letter to arrive.  3 days?  4 days?  more?

Before Ann arrived, I tried to get a consolation prize for Jack. Here is a video of the soon after crowned best female yo-yo player in the world, Betty Gallegos from Mexico, dedicating a spintop throw to Canada and Jack:

:)

one of the things that im most happy about when i look at whats happened so far in my life, is finding you all here on the forum eh.
couldnt have asked for a better group of guys.

ta0 thanks so much for that vid, thats really quite a thing isnt it  ;D
i still need to watch beatriz's winning performance,it must have been really something  :o

mike.........i await that little letter......life goal..........almost completed  ;D

ta0 and mike you have now attained........beloved cookie status @-@
youll be receiving a pm (at first i wrote that last word plural.......buuuuut that seemed.....wierd @-@) in near future gentlemen @-@
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:42:16 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »

Jim's spins teapot

jim.......you are a scary skilled man @-@
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:42:47 PM by ta0 »

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »

By the way Kyo had big problems with their "shipping" department.

The hotel shipping/security gave us fits with the bigger boxes we were expecting.  Kyle's personal 3d printer was damaged in transit (the coupler to the z-axis stepper was completely broken and some of the guide rails had been broken loose) and the CNC router cover was broken (the hinge had been broken off), in addition, they lost both items for a day and a half even though Steve had personally hand delivered one and gave instructions on where it was to go (one box was actually sent back to Steve's house because the shipping label was still on it).  It was a mess for sure.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »

The hotel shipping/security gave us fits with the bigger boxes we were expecting.  Kyle's personal 3d printer was damaged in transit (the coupler to the z-axis stepper was completely broken and some of the guide rails had been broken loose) and the CNC router cover was broken (the hinge had been broken off), in addition, they lost both items for a day and a half even though Steve had personally hand delivered one and gave instructions on where it was to go (one box was actually sent back to Steve's house because the shipping label was still on it).  It was a mess for sure.

ya i must say when i was speaking with the hotel over the phone about sending the string, they were very cantankerous and not at all the kind of individuals id expect to be handling PR eh. sorry to hear about the loss  :(
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up