iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker  (Read 11028 times)

• Gold Member
Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker
« on: July 02, 2016, 03:04:29 AM »

Hello Again Everyone,

So, I can do a wire walker, with my new Quicksilver (Fixed), at least I think... But I have a question...

The wrap/bind that you do, when doing the wire walker... Is it supposed to make the spintop move on it's own, or does it require a hefty "nudge" to glide on the string, when doing a wire walker?

I can do it, but it requires quite a nudge. The videos make it seem effortless and as if the spin is doing all of the work. I notice that the "nudge" is facilitated by the spin, but I can't help but wonder if it is anything like the "elevator" in "Diabolo", in which the wrap does all the work.

I figured I would ask, because you all surely know more about this, and it saves time to ask, rather than countless hours building bad habits, and still not being able to do it!

Thank you!

I noticed in ^^^^ this video that gravity is helping to add the "nudge" or "oomph" that I am referring to. Is this so? Should my throw hand be higher than the off hand?

I have looked at ta0's trick list as well for an explanation, but this is the only part I am struggling with.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:08:25 AM by 113 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »

Do you have the C tip or the standard tip? The C tip walks very slow.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »

I agree with Neff the C tip is not easy to wire walk.  The rules for sports division competition require that the hand with the top not move until the top leaves the hand.  Then it is OK to raise the hand to allow a bit of down hill running. (I don't know where to find the rules on line any more)
Remember to have the top leaning just a bit away from the direction of travel when you start.  Clean string helps a lot too. Tie the string through your belt loops and wash your pants or use one of those delicate item mesh bags.

In Spanish, Wire Walker literally translates Bridge
EL PUENTE-TROMPOS COMETA

Short Circuit has a cool name in Spanish, Crazy Mouse.  Only a little bit harder than wire walker and a great surprise to onlookers.
RATON LOCO-TROMPOS COMETA

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »

Dear Chris,

I have a quicksilver fixed axle. I don't know if that is a c tip? Would you please tell me what a "c" tip is?

Dear Kirk,
I have seen "Raton Loco" before. Thank you very  much for the videos. I will try cleaning my string, but perhaps my problem is the "c" tip? Does the Quicksilver Fixed come with a "c" tip as standard?

Thanks again!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »

A tip with a large diamenter neck with thin line gives long wire walkers. I wont play with my bearing tops, they wont walk the line. Spintastic sells C tips. I just make the same tip but bigger. It's so much FUN. I put the C tip on all my small tops. But you have to cut them to make them work.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 05:52:55 PM »

Sorry.  "C" tip is top jargon.  It is call that because it was item "C"  on the old Spintastics web site.  The "C" tip is shaped like an hourglass. The other tip is shaped like an arrow point.  New QSH tops come with the C tip.  I'm not sure about the older ones.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 03:50:55 AM »

Dear Cecil,

Thank you for your input, interesting, some people say c tips are bad for wire walking. Correct me if I am mistaken but most of the tops you have made are not C tips, right? Do you cut the tops to make the bigger tips fit for wire walking tricks? What kind of tops do you use this for?

Dear Kirk,

Thank you for elaborating, I get what you are saying about the hourglass top, the quicksilver does have a "c-tip". What kind of top would you reccomend for tricks like wire walking, 'raton loco", stairway to heaven, cable car, and other things like that? I specifically like this style of play...

Also, if c tips such as the quicksilver are not good for wirewalking, then what are they good for? (Fixed tip that is)? Regenerations? I am not too intersted in regeneration play at the moment. I may be, but for now I really like the "wire walking" style tricks. What would you reccomend for that style of play?

Thank you,

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »

As Neff said the "C" tip walks slow and so may not be best for learning wire walking tricks.  When I was learning wire walking the Cometa Cobra was my go to top.  For learning, the Spintastics sidewinder goes too fast and the "C" to slow.  With fresh, clean string the C tip walks OK. The slower speed helped me learn wire walker to crazy 8.   
Yes the C tip is designed to regen tricks.  You are wise to learn wire walkers first.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »

My Quicksilver Hybrids do NOT have the C-tip. As far as wire walker is concerned, I have never had a problem performing them once I learned. I did learn using my Trompo Grande tops(which are fixed tops, also not using C-tips), and then dialed it in better once I got my fixed tip Hornet that does have the C-tip.

When I do the wire walker trick, I am apparently not doing it 100% "competition rule style", but I'm close so I can refine that. My hands tend to be right(throw) hand slightly higher than left. I just tighten up the string by removing the tension by pulling my hands apart. It doesn't take me a whole lot of effort to get the top moving. If I pull too hard, it wants to also gyro flop(which took me a bit to figure out!). If I don't pull quite hard enough, the top will leave my hand but then tangle up in the string. The difference between "not tight enough" and the working range of "just right" is not that much. Either way, I'm finding I'm not using a ton of pressure to make it happen.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »

Dear Studio 42,

So, are you saying that the fixed tip hornets with a C-tip are ideal for wire walking?  Or is the Trompo Grande better for wire walking? I can do a wire walker pretty well now, with my quicksilver fixed tip (c -tip), and would like to know what you would reccomend for "wire" style tricks"? I have been dabbling in regenerations, and see that the quicksilver is very well suited to them.

I have tried with my throwing hand "slightly higher" and have had great results, and realize that the problem is in variation of temperature. Thank you for your insight. I see now that it doesn't require that much "nudge" at all. It's all in the spin, not "pushing the top".. I also, realized that the top will only spin to the right, "if you are a right handed thrower" or "counter clockwise". So, that means I have to balance my top on the off hand, and then wire walk. I was trying to wire walk the wrong way.  Thank you for your advice.

Dear Kirk,

I have noticed some difficulty with the wire walker because of the c tip, but then again, I have no experience with other fixed axles. What kind of top would you reccomend for "wire" tricks?  Would you say the Cometa Cobra is a good top for wire walking tricks like stairway to heaven, cable car, raton loco? I noticed that I cannot do the "raton loco" with my quicksilver, as I suspect it is too heavy. What kind of top would you reccomend for such tricks? 

About the regeneration tricks? Challenge accepted my friend, and I have been able to do a "rollercoaster" all of 3 times since yesterday :D.

Thank you,

studio42

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »

Dear Studio 42,

So, are you saying that the fixed tip hornets with a C-tip are ideal for wire walking?  Or is the Trompo Grande better for wire walking? I can do a wire walker pretty well now, with my quicksilver fixed tip (c -tip), and would like to know what you would reccomend for "wire" style tricks"? I have been dabbling in regenerations, and see that the quicksilver is very well suited to them.

I have tried with my throwing hand "slightly higher" and have had great results, and realize that the problem is in variation of temperature. Thank you for your insight. I see now that it doesn't require that much "nudge" at all. It's all in the spin, not "pushing the top".. I also, realized that the top will only spin to the right, "if you are a right handed thrower" or "counter clockwise". So, that means I have to balance my top on the off hand, and then wire walk. I was trying to wire walk the wrong way.  Thank you for your advice.

I've found that I can do wire walker fairly decent on any of my fixed tip spintops. However, only my fixed tip hornet has the C-tip. It was just a bit easier for me to really get the wire walker down using the C-tip hornet because it was a bit heavier than my other fixed tip tops at the time(Trompo Grande, Bearing King at the time). Once i got it down, the transition to the other tops was better. Afterwards I bought a QSH fixed tip(as I already had the bearing tip). For me, really, the extra weight translated to extra spin time. This gave me enough time to learn to do the wraps to set it up. That's been almost a year ago and my throw has gotten better, my skill in general has improved a bit, which is translating to better spin times on almost any top I have, including the Short Circuit. What I will say is the Short Circuit Top, in my opinion, spins super fast and that wire walker feels like it's moving super fast. I tend to be a bit "slower" in general, preferring things to not move super fast, at least for now. That and the Blizzard top really moves fast. I also prefer metal tips over plastic when it comes to fixed tip.

Given my choice, I'd rather use the QSH fixed tip. I have the regular tip on mine and it's fine. The weight works good for me. I just prefer this top over the Hornet. Mind you, I have nothing against the Hornet, I just prefer the QSH better.

One Top I can barely do anything with is the MicroTop. I will say that spins for a much longer period of time than I expected and I'm sure if I wasn't so focused on keeping that top in my hand after boomeranging it and being shocked I actually did it, I could probably appreciate it better and might be able to wire walk it. I would NOT recommend this for learning this trick. The Love Tops are also not recommended in my opinion. The weight is right, but as they are smaller, the spin times just aren't as good as a result.  I have done it, I can do it.

Your skill level is higher than mine.  You should be able to learn this with any fixed tip.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 11:55:53 PM »

However, only my fixed tip hornet has the C-tip.

thats not a "C" tip  :(

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

Dear Studio42,

I am flattered by your compliment, but you know what they say "Videos or it didn't happen".

Jack and Studio42...

Alright, now I am really confused, haha... I know almost any fixed tip can be used for "wire" tricks, and yesterday I did my first stairway to heaven, and can flawlessly do a wirewalker and a cable car. But, I cannot do a "raton loco" because my top is too heavy. I am looking for a specialized top that would be ideal for wire tricks lol.  So... Apparently "C-tip" is jargon, lol, but like most jargon it can often be confusing to everyone lol. I did this with my quicksilver "c-tip" (I think the fixed is a c-tip).

So is this or is this not a "C-tip"?

If It is a c-tip, how does the hornet not have a "c- tip"? Spintastics calls it a "diabolo tip". What is the difference between a "C-tip" and a "diabolo" tip? And from what I understand a "c-tip" is not as preferable as a normal tip for wire walking. What is the "normal" tip called? A "T" tip?

Lol you guys are funny.

P.S. I have been considering the micro top actually, for my performances. People love novelty like that, and I am sure I would get a good reaction out of people with it. Is it really that difficult to use? How much smaller than the "love" top is there? Any chance for regenerations on it? lol

I may sound a little snarky in this post, but I am grateful for all your help. I just think it is funny is all. Thank you!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »

Jack and Studio42...

Alright, now I am really confused, haha... I know almost any fixed tip can be used for "wire" tricks, and yesterday I did my first stairway to heaven, and can flawlessly do a wirewalker and a cable car. But, I cannot do a "raton loco" because my top is too heavy. I am looking for a specialized top that would be ideal for wire tricks lol.  So... Apparently "C-tip" is jargon, lol, but like most jargon it can often be confusing to everyone lol. I did this with my quicksilver "c-tip" (I think the fixed is a c-tip).

So is this or is this not a "C-tip"?

If It is a c-tip, how does the hornet not have a "c- tip"? Spintastics calls it a "diabolo tip". What is the difference between a "C-tip" and a "diabolo" tip? And from what I understand a "c-tip" is not as preferable as a normal tip for wire walking. What is the "normal" tip called? A "T" tip?

Lol you guys are funny.

P.S. I have been considering the micro top actually, for my performances. People love novelty like that, and I am sure I would get a good reaction out of people with it. Is it really that difficult to use? How much smaller than the "love" top is there? Any chance for regenerations on it? lol

I may sound a little snarky in this post, but I am grateful for all your help. I just think it is funny is all. Thank you!

the top on the left is a qsh with a "C" tip, the top on the right is a hornet with a diabolo tip. a diabolo tip is the more generic term for a style of tip whereas "C" tip is a specific tip made by spintastics. so all "C" tips are diabolo tips.....but not all diabolo tips are "C" tips

yes the micro top is near impossible to work with beyond a boomerang

studio42

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 04:14:27 AM »

However, only my fixed tip hornet has the C-tip.

thats not a "C" tip  :(

Actually, thank you for the clarification. The photos you posted were fantastic for that. Diabolo tip. I thought they were one and the same. Learn something new every day!