iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: another toupie festival  (Read 8578 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
another toupie festival
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:24:12 AM »

hi all
the spin goes on !
next monday The Konecny Brothers arrive in Paris !
it's going to be a week of fun with the first days at Ludo's
and then straight North to the 2nd festival of the season
Feb 25-28 at Loon Plage
it's been a collaboration with an association which runs a museum of traditional games  it's called "wellouej"   http://www.wellouej.com

info on the festival in the local media

http://www.dunkerque-tourisme.fr/fr/Dunkerque-Flandre-Cote-d-Opale-terre-d-histoire-et-de-conquetes/Moments-d-histoire/FESTIVAL-DE-TOUPIE-DU-MONDE

http://quoineuf.fr/loon-plage/v/20160225/951805/asso-wellouej/festival-de-toupie-du-monde.html

more news to come

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: another toupie festival
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:15:35 AM »

Wow!  You have been quite busy!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »

Wow is not enough!  :o :o :o
It is so cool that you are getting Jakub and Daniel to this festival.
You and Ludo deserve a spintop monument!

"wellouej" ? Joue well!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »

hi all
we're doing good with the "before" activities...
...had some Korean raviolis on Monday night after the Bros' arrival,chatting about the ITSA projects and johm marcus creations;tuesday walking tour in Paris and birthday party at Quentin's (20!)lots o' spin and juggling (3diabs,5 balls jakub skills..);today walking tour again :montmartre and eiffel tower
the festival starts tomorrow , Ludo driving the group up North and me joining on friday morning with high speed train...the joke is that we may have some unexpected guests : namely the largest camp of refugees is located 4 miles from the venue and  it's due to be dismantled this week  ;--)

more news
later
jim

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »

Reading your report I sure wish I was there! Good luck with the festival!

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »

Guys, it's awesome here! Paris is beautiful city and hanging out with Quentin is a lot of fun. Here at Loon-Plage, the venue is great and all the wooden games here, we've never seen most of them and we're enjoying other games with tops than just freestyle or battling. Throwing tops all day long, you cannot wish more!

We'll try to post some photos on our Instagram account, you can check them right here:

Thank you so much Jim and Ludo for inviting us, we're enjoying every minute, you are doing great job!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »

salut la compagnie !

it was simply the BEST TOUPIE FESTIVAL EVER

the public came , stayed,asked questions,old timers speaking of tops after war period the 50 ties and 60 ties:toys that would be cheap and never break....
2 wood turners were there : they attracted attention and the magic of shaping a top with a chisel is truly part of any spintop presentation
jakub and daniel did many shows on stage with a cool synchronised routine
they also played juggling , passing balls and clubs with the local jugglers : universal language, they learned the taiwan throw long string+ big top with ease,played battle,taught children the basics and so on...
besides the collection to visit the workshops etc there was also this incredible organization for catering and hosting

each day the asso WELLOUEJ would cook REAL FOOD for 30 people , peeling patatoes and vegetables in the morning , teaming up for the service and getting all the things ready for lunch and dinner....they had a 5 room apartment and a cottage to host everyone for FREE...on this point i must tell you that in france it's very different from the US !! during a festival or a yoyo event , we do things together , we don't book hotels and don't eat at pizza places , it's more based on friendship and sharing , homemade foods , sleeping at the locals',even sharing the various shops ' benefits !

the city major , and deputy came for the speeches , we gave them a small top and they quit the protocol to play like children

Newspaper article (click for larger photo):

Previously at the Eiffel Tower:

2 good vids of the brothers on stage to come

jim (tired as if i had been playing a rugby match)

PS : Ludo and I did a good "long wirewalker" with taiwan top : measured at 55 feet-16.5 metres
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:37:40 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:39:38 PM »

Fantastic! Congratulations on a very successful festival!
Jakub and Daniel are the perfect spintop ambassadors! Ludo and you are simply amazing!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »

Sounds like the perfect day.  What a nice article in the paper with great photos.  And you had the mayor there?  With other city officials!!!  You know how to work it.

I am glad it all went so well.  I am happy for you.

Congratulations!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:15:19 AM »

Daniel and Jakub on stage

sorry for the poor quality but enjoy the skills ;D ;D

more photos here   

jim

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:14 AM »

I must say, that it was without doubt the best juggling (especially spintop) event, I've ever been to. I've experienced so many new games with tops and tried I think every one of them (taiwanesse tops, battling tops, old games,...). Organisers did amazing job, everything was perfect, the venue and food especially. We got some new tops that we would definitely like to share with you, especially the ones from Pierre, he's an awesome woodturner! Prepare for little review and few photos. Also big thanks to Ludo for hosting us in his house for many days and Quentin and Jim for being our guides. It means a lot for us, that Jim and Ludo invited us.

Every day we played till midnight and we had many challenges. Thing that impressed me the most was the amount of people, who attended the festival and tried tops, hundreds of people probably. From young children to older people. And support from the city mayor and people around him was very good. I'm sure that this festival will continue for many years.

Also yoyo and diabolo demos were awesome, Quentin did great job promoting yoyo in all divisions and French jugglers (don't know their names unfortunately) did awesome job too. Exhibition of diabolo history was great too!

On thursday, we went to museum of old wooden games. We understood just few things that Quentin translated for us into English, but we enjoyed it a lot, we even could try few of them!

Just awesome event!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:02:42 AM by Hrosik »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »

I am very glad that Jakub and you enjoyed the trip and that you could show world-class top spinning to the public.
The newspaper says that you practice 6 hours daily. Is that true?  :o

I just realized the joke on the Eiffel Tower sign. There is a special fare for: "Entrance ticket with top"  ;D

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »

slide show
various views of the venue, spintops , diabolos, toupie hollandaise tables .....etcetera

and another video by a local TV

jim

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

The newspaper says that you practice 6 hours daily. Is that true :o
I wish it was :D neither of us have that enough time and maybe not even motivation. I practiced about 4 hours daily before EYYC and Worlds 2014, but 6 hours is just too much, you lose concentration and it's useless.

When we were standing under the Eiffel tower and Jim came laughing and said that he had had something to show us, it was great moment. People who decide about tickets for the Eiffel tower know, how to get the right people to the top (with top :D).

Thank you Jim for these videos, we have many photos and videos too. We will add them as soon as we process them.

Damien

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »

Thanks JIM for the report !!! So nice to see all the folk in Loon plage !!!

Congrats guys for the show !! Quentin super video , gestuelle parfaite !!!

hope to reach this festival next year !!!!

Damien,
Damien