iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spin-top love  (Read 3709 times)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Spin-top love
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:39:42 PM »

At school/work I found two little plastic rats in our halloween haunted house and I tied them together by their tails then tortured the kids all day by singing over and over ...."rats in love".  Today the boy in this picture ran up to me and held up his top and heart shaped string loop singing ...."Tops in Love"   I cracked up and just had to get a photo  ;D

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
Re: Spin-top love
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »

If no one has said it yet today, let me be the first --- Thanks for being a teacher!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »

What Silvertop said. That's a lucky bunch of kids.
Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »

Sweet!

Spintastics is love?  :D

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »

Great picture.  I never took pictures of my kids in school with their tops and diabolos.  Sorry about that now.  Keep taking pictures.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

kevinm

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »

Great picture.  I never took pictures of my kids in school with their tops and diabolos.  Sorry about that now.  Keep taking pictures.

that really is a very interesting photo. it's really a great composition. certainly not your average snapshot.
but enough about photography, SpinQueen, do your kids there play with yo-yos as well as tops,
or is all tops? 

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »

We played with yo-yos a few years back when I was into them.  Every now and again I'm tempted to bring one of my yo-yos to school but then I'm afraid that the kids will switch over to yo-yos.  I can't have that, since tops are my first love.  I'm a bit of a Pied Piper with kids....whatever I do, they seem to follow.  I think it's because I'm the biggest kid on the playground ;)

I think I may try and reintroduce yo-yos this Spring to mix things up a bit, but I'll have to keep a closer eye on the kids with yo-yos since more kids tend to get hurt from them.....I hate those damn responsive yo-yos...OUCH!

kevinm

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »

well you must have nerves of steel to teach kids either one. i'm kinda jumpy myself, so i haven't been around a bunch of kids with tops, but i would have guessed as missile hazards go, tops would be more dangerous. not to mention your kids boring holes through their hands.
at any rate, my hat is off to you for your success in the school yard. i was never the biggest kid, so maybe that's why i have so many yo-yos now.... compensation of sorts...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »

Interesting comments about yo-yos.  I have tried on several occasions to get yo-yos going around here but, for some odd reasons, it never seems to fly.  My idea was that we could do our top spinning in the summer in preparation for our top fest in late August and then have a yo-yo event some other time of the year.  I'm pushing harder this year and have talked with Mark Hayward about coming over to help us crown a "Miamisburg Yo-Yo Champion".  It will be interesting to see if they take off a little more or if it becomes a thing people really only do once a year.  Of course, my real hope is that we continue to develop more top spinners but I have wondered how yo-yos will fit in the mix.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!