iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland  (Read 45611 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »

Any battle tops?
Of course!  >:D There will be at least one. It will probably be of the "precision" type, everybody throwing simultaneously into a raised platform, the last one standing getting the points. We will need to secure some kind of platform once there.  :-\

What tops are used for this?
Depends of what people have, but not bigger than a Giulia. If everybody has a fixed tip, that's what we use.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2017, 09:29:30 PM »

Any battle tops?
Of course!  >:D There will be at least one. It will probably be of the "precision" type, everybody throwing simultaneously into a raised platform, the last one standing getting the points. We will need to secure some kind of platform once there.  :-\

What tops are used for this?
Depends of what people have, but not bigger than a Giulia. If everybody has a fixed tip, that's what we use.

Why a platform? I'd say if you have to, a circle of chalk would be sufficient if it was acceptable. Otherwise, a length of rope or string or even paracord to make a rough circle. But, if one wants to spend a little money(which I don't recomend), I'm sure they have plastic wading pools or hula hoops. I just figure a stick of yard chalk or some cord would be easy to stuff into a pocket or luggage and someone probably already has one or both of these items.

Wasn't the battle top of choice at Nationals a wooden fixed axle that one was supposed to put a bottle cap on the crown? Anyone selling those? While I"ll probably never use it for battling, it would be a good item to have around and be familiar with.

Whatever happens, it definitely sounds like people are going to have a lot of fun at Worlds!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:44 PM »

Why a platform?
We have done all types of battletops. A small platform from where tops can fall makes for a fast paced battle that is not "violent" and probably a good choice for this venue. If the platform has two levels it is even better (3 points last standing on the upper level, 1 point last standing on the lower level).

If the weather is good and people want, we could have a Nationals-style battle outside (it shouldn't be difficult to find a snow sled over there, even is summer). I miss the Ultimate Battletop Championshp of the Universe and Mark's incredible trophies (but I never was even close to winning one). What we will never be able to do again is a light bulb battletop.  >:D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »

Ahhh....the light bulb battletop contest.  What a good memory!  As I sit here on the Eiffel Tower (writing this just to see if it will post) I can envision some fine "cheap" sleds being available for some good battles.  By the way, I was already in Iceland with my wife.  I would like to say that I checked out the facilities but we just had a short layover in the airport on our way to Paris.  We rent a car and head to northern Italy tomorrow.  My life is truly a whirl...wind!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »

As I sit here on the Eiffel Tower (writing this just to see if it will post)
As far as I know, that is a first for the forum.  8) Enjoy your pre-contest trip!

X-ray machine operators at airports are starting to see an up-tick in conical shaped objects  :P

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »

Cuper finally bought his plane ticket!  Talk about last minute! :o
He is arriving Wednesday and we meet at the airport.

ITSA got spinning medals for everybody competing and a surprise spinning award for somebody special  :)   :-X

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »

Most of the contest will be at the Silfurberg Hall of Harpa:

I just hope there is carpet outside the hall  ;)

The forecast for Reykjavik during the contest is about 56/48 degrees F or 13/9 Celsius and some rain and wind. It's going to be a big change from south Texas!  :'(
The aurora borealis forecast is low for the contest but if anybody is already there this weekend it's high (but probably too much twilight light to see it, anyway).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:32:35 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »

The theater looks nice and well lit.  As ta0 says, hopefully there are some spaces to spin outside that hall.  I hope to be in OK shape to do some stuff as I slipped on some wet and damp sidewalk in Venice and have been limping around in Florence.  At least I found a good circus arts store with juggling stuff and unicycles, but no tops (as far as I could tell).  It is called Jokolarte.  http://www.jokolarte.com

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »

I hope you are not limping by the time of the freestyles! :-\

You should have asked at the juggling shop. I also found one in Amsterdam and did not see the tops until I asked. They had a Tompo Space Saturn and three 5 Estrellas Turbo. In addition, there was a finger top and a whip top (that I bought). I did a very little demo for the clerck and left some of my ta0 cards on their bulleting board.

But, more amazing, through the window of an antiques shop (that was closed) I could see half a dozen old pegtops!  :o

I will open a new thread when I am in Reykjavick

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »

ATTENTION: Tom Connolly is in iceland!!!

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2017, 01:42:05 AM »

Will there be a live video stream?

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2017, 03:48:28 AM »

Will there be a live video stream?
Just saw an update on the Wold website with a spot for a live stream.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2017, 03:50:49 AM »

Ha ha!!!  A circus arts store and me not go in?  I thought you knew me better than that.  I would have left my wife sitting on the curb to go in and check out all the unicycles and clubs and rhythm sticks and more that I saw in the window.  Sadly, though, it was closed!!!  We will see what can be found in Iceland.

To answer Diz, I would be surprised if they do not have a live feed.  We will soon see about that, also.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up