iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: how to make a fire-top  (Read 5274 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
how to make a fire-top
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »

well ladies and gentlmen heres how i made my fire-top. super easy and as far as i can tell very effective to boot  :o
i appolagize for the bad camera angle  :'( i need to invest in a proper tripod (you have no idea the rube golberg machine of a tripod i macgyverd for this vid lol  ;D it was composed of an antique stool a bent bookend a rock and an iphone..........@-@ yup). i hope its clear enough to work with though  ;) enjoy and if anybody decides to make one for gods sake post some pics/vid man!!!! lol  ;D

heres some pics of my original one that was in the first vid:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: how to make a fire-top
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:13:28 AM »

That is a simple but effective way of making a fire top!  Thanks for the ideas!

From the video:
. . . It may burn your face off . . .  Other than that, it is a hell of a fun time, man!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »

Thanks for the video Jack, most informative. I have a follow-up question. When you light/launch the firetop, is it tip up or tip down?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »

Thanks for the video Jack, most informative. I have a follow-up question. When you light/launch the firetop, is it tip up or tip down?

thank you sir  8). so what i do is i wind the top, then tilt the spintop so that the tip is facing my right and the crown is facing my left (so the spintop is on its side), i then light the crown and re-orient the spintop into the normal crown down position and throw it hella quick  8)
hope that helps, play safe my friend  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »

I modified my fire top using Jack's wire idea. I tried it today and worked, maybe too well: the flame was scary!  >:D

Friday starts the Texas Jugglefest in Austin and I will take it there. Hopefully I'll have some video.

By the way, I will also be there Saturday spinning tops.
http://juggling.place.org/jugglefest/

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »

I modified my fire top using Jack's wire idea. I tried it today and worked, maybe too well: the flame was scary!  >:D

Friday starts the Texas Jugglefest in Austin and I will take it there. Hopefully I'll have some video.

By the way, I will also be there Saturday spinning tops.
http://juggling.place.org/jugglefest/

wonderful!!! the world needs as many fire tops as can be procured!!! yours looks delicious!!! ;D  i wish you a safe spinning at jugglefest  ;)
video would be awsome but not at the cost of not having the best possible time at jugglefest my good man!!!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:01:43 AM by ta0 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 12:18:48 AM »

This reminds me that a high school friend did some experiments with rubbing alcohol and water mix. He soaked rags in it.  you could pick up the burning rags..  I don't remember the proportions but I do recall being surprised how much water he used and still got a nice flame.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 01:32:40 AM »

This reminds me that a high school friend did some experiments with rubbing alcohol and water mix. He soaked rags in it.  you could pick up the burning rags..  I don't remember the proportions but I do recall being surprised how much water he used and still got a nice flame.

your high school friend sounds.................like i need him in my life  :P

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 12:04:48 AM »

Here are a few throws of the firetop at jugglefest. The top with the wick is top-heavy and not the easiest to play with. I need to practice more.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 12:29:52 AM »

Here are a few throws of the firetop at jugglefest. The top with the wick is top-heavy and not the easiest to play with. I need to practice more.

i enjoyed seeing that waaaaaay too much  ;D thanks for going to trouble of recording that  ;) such fun such fun  >:D
what did you use for the burny liquid there???
we need a patch for this firetop bussiness!!! at least a digital one, i cant firgure out how to do it  :'( someone help us playhahahaaaaaayz!!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:58:32 AM by ta0 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 12:45:05 AM »

ta0,
I  think you had the blue-est flame of any I saw.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »

what did you use for the burny liquid there???
We were using Coleman camp (lantern/stove) fuel. It burns clean.

ta0, I  think you had the blue-est flame of any I saw.
There seem to be two different burning modes. Apparently the blue (stove-like) mode happens when I start the top with less fuel.