iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinning an American Football like a Top  (Read 1950 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Spinning an American Football like a Top
« on: October 18, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »

I know I have talked about this before but I can't seem to find it in an old thread.  I am at TJ Chumps (a little south of where we hold our whirled top fests) and watching our undefeated Cincinnati Bengals take it to Buffalo (sorry Jim Neff).  There are TVs and football games everywhere at this sports bar.  Out of the corner of my eye I see a player score and take the football and spin it on one end like a top!!!  It seems like I have seen this activity more and more in the NFL.

I need a good spinable football in the Hall of Fame.  I have been cleaning out some old non-top spinning related items and adding more shelves.  There should be plenty of room for a football that Austen and Eli can spin and challenge each other with next time they are up this way!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

kyo

• Gold Member
Re: Spinning an American Football like a Top
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:54 AM »

any football works really, I use to do it when I played as a kid.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Spinning an American Football like a Top
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »

Funny that you started this thread at the same time that Top-ologist posted his PhiTop

A search of youtube came up with these videos:

the geek (our) way:

There must be a way of doing this forcefully using a kick. But I don't have an American football to try. Or to do a boomerang (challenge made!  ;) ).

I also found that you get penalized if done in the middle of a play: "To clarify, an NFL spokesman told deadspin.com that penalties will only be called for ball spinning on non-scoring plays. Inside the endzone, players are free to spin the football to their hearts content"

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:14:29 AM by ta0 »