iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Miamisburg  (Read 25435 times)

Austen

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Report from Miamisburg
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »

https://flic.kr/p/xEb6p7
I like to send pictures like this to my friends with no explanation. When I got on the stilts I picked up the giant spoon and informed mike I was off to horrify his neighbors. Hahaha The festival was amazing and fun as always and it was great to catch up with old friends. We as a top spinning community do not get together enough but it is always a great time when we do!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »

That Top Spinning Plinko is the best $20 down payment I ever made on anything.  Great work, Mark!  Hmmm, if rascals are worth 10 dollars each maybe I have already made another $20 down payment?

Oh, and by the way, my back has been an absolute mess since the festival which proves I cannot do worlds and a Miamisburg top fest back to back.  It also proves I am older and need to listen more closely to my own advice to JNeff.  Hope you had a good birthday, Jim, and hope your back is doing well.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »

Joe made a comment that he was trying to get you to come to the Philippines and see his Spintop.

:o :o 8) 8)  ;D ;D

That would be a dream come true. I can volunteer to blow on the top to decrease the drag!

How come Jim's cake had balloons instead of tops?  :D

Is the toilet seat spun like a plate?

This is the kind of top I expect to see at the Hall of Fame:

Is Eli preparing to freestyle at worlds next year?   ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2015, 01:46:36 AM »

lucky cookie!!!! @-@ also that top looks heavy so you must be a strong cookie aswell Eli

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »

A Few Random Highlights

Launching a boomerang from the ground to Mark on the top of the stump (left handed)
Getting some coaching for improving my drumbeat.
Improving my whip top technique and the loud low hum of the tops.
General good times
Spin Top Plinko

3 Brothers walked up from the car show looking and watching. Rachel asked "Would you like to learn to throw a top?" Then when they found out that $116 was the prize for first place, they decided to join the competition.  Mike rearranged the bracket order to give them time to learn how to get a spinner.  Rachel and I coached them with a bit of help from Austen.  I wondered if the middle brother would ever learn to wind the top, but he learned and had the hottest throw of the three.  In the end they got second place! They were so thrilled also to receive tops provided by LarryD.   Jay's son, Daniel, a seven year veteran of the contest,  anchored the winning team for Daniel's first win.

what top was that that attempted to murder you there kirk??? i dont recognize it  ???  :-[

Photos to follow after we get done helping Dad sell his house.
I think it is Mark's JohnM HDPE top.  I need to not clip my nails before doing one of Jack's grind tricks.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 08:39:46 AM »

Yes, the Bicker Brothers were one of the great stories of the fest.  And, yes, they really were the Bicker Brother.  Bicker was their last name (which I found to be quite humorous).  Their involvement was one of the benefits of being in the middle of the car show.  Kirk and Rachel did an amazing coaching job with them.

Eli was not only handling that big top quite nicely but he was also snap starting it!

I told Mark to see if anyone else wanted his carboard creation.  If no one else did, then I would take it for the Hall of Fame.  I actually wanted first dibs but I was trying not to be greedy.  Later in the night I heard that Chris from Ann Arbor took it and will continue the project.  Hope he does well with it.  If not, it could still end up in the Hall of Fame!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

How to store your buttons. From the Spin Top Hall of Fame.

Hey! I'm excited/humbled to see my name resides somewhere in the Hall of Fame, even if it's only for a quote I like.  (I'll bet Jim saw that and thought "Uh, that's the guy that broke Cyclone, I remember him")  Thanks Mike!   8)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »

The list of members who have broken other people's tops is getting pretty long! Haha

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

I had a wonderful time at the Miamisburg Fest.  I was born in Dayton (Miami Valley Hospital) August 28, 1952 so even the location was special to me.  Felt like I had known everyone all my life! Was glad to learn the big top throwing technique up to the hand, my 5 pound Kauri top I have always thrown to the floor to pick up.  Have something to try out when I get back to the Philippines next week!  Mine doesn't have a bearing point so won't be putting it in John's sneaky between the fingers spot.

Jay, we forgot the group photo, sorry, having too much fun.  But I also regret not getting a picture of me giving Jim Schreiber's pie pan to Mike for his Hall of Fame.  If anyone got one can they post it?  Thanks.

Here's a compilation of some of the video I took.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »

I see I missed a LOT!  Great compilation.  Thanks Joe!!!

Of course you are in the hall, sir lincolnrick.  Forum posters get top priority!!!

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »

Is Eli preparing to freestyle at worlds next year?   ;)

Yes, I am planning on competing in Cleveland next year.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »

Yes, I am planning on competing in Cleveland next year.

Yes!!!!  ;D Actually, I was sure you would! I know you will be in the medal hunt. That little freestyle with the little top on Joe's video tells me you are ready to rock. Fortunately for me, I will probably be behind the judge's table as there will be plenty of players.

Great video Joe! It answered several questions as, for example, how do you spin a toilet seat! By the way, that lid spun beautifully! At the end of the Colombian top wire walk there is a peek at Jim's bags and I had to laugh! Wow!  :o  8) Most impressive was Kirk's left hand boomerang to Mark on the stump: well done! And you did a great job boomeranging Autograph! I generally throw Figaro for the Figaro's Gallery photo, but perhaps you can spin it yourself (but don't tell Mike, he is not allowed to throw it  :P ).

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »

Woo hoo!!! I'm glad to hear of another competitor! Ug, I really have to practice.

Mike, the two missing Rascals didn't go that far... just to a safe haven... visible from the Rascal playing area.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »

I had a wonderful time at the Miamisburg Fest.  I was born in Dayton (Miami Valley Hospital) August 28, 1952 so even the location was special to me.  Felt like I had known everyone all my life! Was glad to learn the big top throwing technique up to the hand, my 5 pound Kauri top I have always thrown to the floor to pick up.  Have something to try out when I get back to the Philippines next week!  Mine doesn't have a bearing point so won't be putting it in John's sneaky between the fingers spot.

Jay, we forgot the group photo, sorry, having too much fun.  But I also regret not getting a picture of me giving Jim Schreiber's pie pan to Mike for his Hall of Fame.  If anyone got one can they post it?  Thanks.

Here's a compilation of some of the video I took.

thanks for posting that vid eh!!! i really enjoyed that, so much intersting stuff on there  :o

eli: what top were you using when you did that freestyle in the vid there eh??? bravo that freestyle was very nice  :o

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »

I recieved a nice phone call from the city about our event and next year.  They wanted to know if we were happy with the space!!!  Heck yes!  It sounds like we have a good shot at getting the stage next year.

Ok, Mark Hayward.  I am biting.  Yes, I have been out to check the rascals.  Yes, there are two missing.  And yes, I would like them back!!!  I will look closer around the hall for the missing pieces of silver.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up