iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Miamisburg  (Read 25547 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Report from Miamisburg
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 06:29:42 AM »

holy hell are auston's arms really that big  :o ??? also is he on the forum???
I am in the forum!! And currently standing on stilts! I should spend more time on the forum!!

hello there sir!!! let me say your abilaty to actually get that huge top spinning last year at the festival was very impressive eh!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 07:44:32 AM »

What a day, yesterday!  Never have I seen so many tops in such a short span of time.  Tops of every shape, color and size!  Lots of throwing, lots of gabbing, lots of learning from the "pros".

I took the plunge and bought myself a 4 inch HDPE top!  Until this weekend, I had never thrown a top larger than a Tromp Grande.  This thing is a thing of beauty, and plays soooo well!  Thanks again, John M.!

We had a bit of a celebration at the church yesterday, as it was Jim Neff's birthday.  There was birthday cake for everyone, and four of us (Mike Hout, David, Chris and myself) led the group in singing Happy Birthday with a four-ukulele ensemble!

Many of us, myself included, had the opportunity to spin "Autograph", the 9 1/2 inch big top.  After a bit of trial and error, I was finally able to boomerang that beast!  Having accomplished that, I proudly added my name to both the much-autographed top, and the companion book.

Later, at the community park, there was lots of top spinning with the local kids, complete with battle competitions.  All the while, there was a car show going on at the site.  Lots of very high quality hot rods to ogle, and big engines to hear.  What a blast!

After that wrapped up, we all (15 of us?) went to Bullwinkle's for a late (9 pm!) dinner.  Good food, good stories, good fun.

Then back to the church, where some of us continued to throw tops in the church yard by the light of the church's sign.  Once we were all assembled, it was off to the spintop Hall of Fame.

Spin top overload!  We started with a game of spin top Plinko, and then proceeded to the HoF, itself.  So much stuff!  The group was still going strong (it was after 11 pm by this time), but David and I had to say our goodbyes and head for the hotel.  I need to drive 500 miles again today, and needed some sleep.

Each and every separate aspect made this a wonderful, wonderful weekend.  I so much enjoyed not only all the top spinning, but meeting all the other forum members.  John Markus, on Friday night, and Mike Hout, on Saturday, were the best hosts imaginable.  I can't thank them enough.  They made this weekend the wonder that it was, and I really appreciate it. 

If you haven't been to the Whirled Festival of Tops before, put it on your calendar for next year!  You won't regret it.  I know David and I are already making plans to come back next year....

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »

Three of the four ukelele players jamming while Jim's birthday cake was being cut.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/markhayward/i14iM3

I will post more photos (properly) when I get home tonight.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:33:54 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 09:53:03 AM »

Thanks for sharing that great pic.  I still can't believe two people came with their ukelele's.......and one had books of music.  How fun.  Of course, we had plenty of extra instruments from our summer day camp where I tried to get a ukelele chorus going.  Actually, I should have brought them all out and watched Mark pick and grin while making Jim Neff sing happy birthday to himself.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »

Three of the four ukelele players jamming while Jim's birthday cake was being cut.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/markhayward/i14iM3

I will post more photos (properly) when I get home tonight.

That's me, the mysterious and elusive fourth ukulele player, behind the column, without my uke.  As soon as we finished playing Happy Birthday to Jim Neff, I thought we were done playing.  So, I went out and stashed my uke back in my car.  A jam opportunity, missed....

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »

Warning: long wordy post, sorry.

Sorry for the delayed report, after two full days of top talk my throat was so sore I couldn’t type.  ::)

Friday was a record setting day for visitors to UC for a top spinning gathering.  It is always great to see familiar faces and great to meet new dedicated players.  I always enjoy catching up with Mike, Austen, and Eli, and while at lunch we had a quick visit from Seth (Waxyaxle) before he left for a working trip to China.  What a shock to have a stranger pop out of the stairwell and say “I’m a top spinner” and “I’m a friend of Mark Hayward’s” which made us suspicious (Right?  Because who admits to that?  ;D ) , but Marcus Perry is one of us.  Chris also magically appeared from the stairwell.  My thanks go to Mike Hickerson for being the phone point contact which made it easy to find Don and David when they arrived.   It also made it easy to know that Mark was in town.  It was pretty funny when we were on the dock at the rendezvous point and recognize Mark’s car as he drives in, does a U-turn and drives away.  Mike had a good laugh as I feebly ran after Mark up the hill where he briefly stopped to taunt me into running farther before speeding away, while Mike just got on his phone to tell Mark what he had done (still not enough incentive for me to get a phone but a rather compelling argument).  Among the strongest memories is my relief upon finding Jim Neff safely here and comfortable waiting at the elevator in the building.  It is amazing to me to have people travel long distances here for just a day to see how I make a toy.  This interest in and dedication to the spin top from these players is motivational.  I hope no one got too bored with all my jabbering on and perhaps more-than-you-wanted-to-know details.  I appreciated all the great questions and genuine interest in my approach to top making.   We carried on pretty late into the evening and with the approach of closing time for many eateries, several of the long distance travelers moved on to finish their drives to Miamisburg while the rest of us had a meal in honor of Mike Hout at Chipotle. 

Saturday was a second great day.  Don and David were already set up on the church lawn when I arrived.  I really enjoyed our brief time as a small group.  The time when the gathering is large is a great joy with so many things happening at the same time but the almost one-on-one moments are special in a different way.

I didn’t immediately recognize Joe when he arrived and walked toward us since the church and neighboring food pantry was a busy place for the locals, and perhaps I didn’t really believe such a spintop hero would travel from the Philippines to join us.   But when it clicked in my head that “that’s Joe Mauk” it was pretty exciting.  I could listen to Joe’s stories about tops and life all day.  As small as the spintop community is there were a couple of remarkably small world moments involving Joe.

The group grew steadily with more and more activity on the church lawn.  It is always great to see Mike Hout again.  We were happy to see Kirk and Rachel arrive since we missed them on Friday.   A fair bit of activity was happening in the street also with random classic cars passing, the annual motorcycle parade, a new tractor parade, and even a large solid top stopping traffic at one point.  In this season of presidential politics, Mark was doing a bit of “stumping” that all sides can agree on.  Congratulations to the new friends of Autograph:  Don, David, Marcus, and Joe (anyone else I didn’t see?) and with his shoulder in good health, our favorite Miamisburg photographer/videographer Jay is so very close that next year he is a sure thing to join the club.  Regularly, various unexpected objects (like a toilet seat) could be seen circling Jim.

After what seemed like no time, we moved over to the new venue near the river mixed in with the classic car show.   The Mayor announced Mark Hayward Day with emphasis on the Miamisburg connection to Mark’s Guinness record,  and the battle contest commenced.  The advanced players spread out in the nicely shaded open area and resumed their earlier activities.  The evening proceeded to disappear as quickly as the earlier parts of the day.   The contest prizes were awarded and the clean-up/pack-up went smoothly.  Note to self, Jim is very receptive to bad advice, but on the plus side we learned from a good humored, armed, Miamisburg police officer what the potential consequences of approaching an armed officer might be should one choose to approach him with a large rubber snake. 

Primarily for Mike:
A note or two about the location change as Mike reviews his options for next year.  The added distance from the church was of no consequence because there was ample parking for those wishing to drive their gear over and the few extra steps for walkers were trivial. The venue allows the battle contest to be up on a stage with an amphitheater enclosure.  The large stage provides ample space for the kids and contest supervisors in contrast to the slightly tight quarters of the original site.  The height of the stage puts the actual battle above the view of most of the audience but greatly improves the view of all the kids having a great time which is likely what interests the parents most.  I didn’t pay attention to whether the cheering level was compromised by the lack of visibility of the battle itself.  If I recall correctly, the stage had the access stairs in the center.  A set of stairs on the edge(s) would allow you to invite the audience up onto the stage to view the battle if any spectators were interested, but that is likely out of your control.  The sound was great and carried well into the car show and was quite sufficient to be understood over the revving engines and music where we were.  The play area for the advance players was very nice.  We could spread out much more and worry less about interfering with each other (Jim’s long range toys had plenty of space).  Although the high temperatures this year were pleasantly lower than some previous years, we quickly noticed that the lack of buildings allow a nice breeze to improve our comfort level.  The open-on-all-sides position of the advanced play area allowed car show attendees to wander among the players to watch and chat whereas the boxed in grassy area at the previous site held the observers on the perimeter and did not encourage them to join in.  From the other point of view, the added pedestrian traffic took away some of our privacy and time with the dedicated spinners that we rarely see.

A few spinners left to endure a long drive home before the traditional evening meal at Bullwinkles.  We did, however, have two additional spinners join us.  Lynn, from Columbus,  who knew Don and David from the RIT Juggle fest and did very well progressing through the various sized tops, and a man (whose name escapes me (sorry)) who is another small world instance for me since he once taught at Cincinnati. 

We then moved to the Hall of Fame and everyone knows that what happens in the Hall of Fame stays in the Hall of Fame unless you are Austen, in which case you post it on Facebook.

For me this was another great event.  So great that I think I heard someone say that Mark Hayward Day was even better than Jorge Alcoz Day.  I guess any day that you can get two pieces of pizza for lunch is going to have an advantage over most other days.  So many thanks go out to Mike Hout for hosting the festival and to all of the top players who came or contributed to its success.  Great job everyone, give yourselves a dollar.  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »

So great that I think I heard someone say that Mark Hayward Day was even better than Jorge Alcoz Day.
;D Now Mark and I will share something on our resumes (but I will never be able to be on the Late Show with David Letterman). I am glad this one even surpassed the "biggest gathering of large spintops in the US" day. I want to see an epic group photo like that one (with a caption with everybody's names).

I really wish I was there! I am already looking forward to next year's Worlds+Cincy+Miamisburg, even if it is not the actual festival. I guess I will have to meet Joe in The Philippines  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:37:16 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 11:05:50 PM »

I am really enjoying reading the posts about the fest in the Burg.  I so appreciate the time people are giving to share some highlights.  So, Jim Neff really asked a policeman about a fake snake encounter and what would happen (that's a good way to get shot, buddy!)?

Mark's gift to Topland and the Hall of Fame is pretty tremendous.  Spintop Plinko was a hit, even if I lost some money.  Did anyone get some pictures of it?

Since it wan't as hot this year we were able to spend more time in "the Hall" and we had some great rascal spin offs.  When you get nearly 50 of those spinning at the same time they make for some nice chiming sounds.

Thanks for the input about the venue.  I will seek out some comments from the city as we plan for next year.  We would not have had enough room for all the adults at our old location (I am so thrilled to be able to say that).

I could not stay awake this afternoon and took a long long nap to recover from the weekend.  What a joy to have plenty of good spin memories to dream about.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:25:41 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 11:26:21 PM »

I definitely didn't steal 2 of the rascals.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »

There were rascals there. How'd I miss that. But it was a great time. Great friendships can be made through Top spinning. Here is a happy group holding Marks Cardboard top and Joe's Twine Styrofoam top.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »

The Eli Austin show.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 10:43:03 AM »

Look familiar...One of John Markus many shelfs.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »

Ahhh yep. Thats right.  Who is the girl in the center??

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »

I need to look at that last photo everyday as it always makes me smile (or laugh uncontollably outloud).

Guess what is going on at St. Jacob Lutheran Church right this minute.  There are people in our fellowship hall trying to get black marks off of the floor.  Some seem quite mystified about how they arrived there.  I quietly wiped down a pole that had three black marks on it.  I also noticed one big long black mark on the top of a table.  Hmmmm.  Maybe in the future we will have to look into the possibility of not using the black whip?

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »

Hmmmm. "quite mystified". Did you confess Pastor Mike? Yes...the white rubber whips would be better. Big white rubber marks are less noticable.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up