iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Full Metal Jacket STB 3.0  (Read 15186 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Full Metal Jacket STB 3.0
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »

The ideal solution would be to incorporate the bearing-point tip design into the core profile and eliminate one of the parts.  This would eliminate the need for the nut completely and also reduce the overall cost of adding the bearing point to the new body style with the tip swap system.
But then the bearing-point tip would only fit the STB 3.0, while the other way it can be used in any S8.

I found that after a lot of swapping tips I was having to push harder to insert or take out the assembly. The O-rings look fine but perhaps there is some invisible rubber residue in the well  :-\ Anyway, I had some window cleaner at hand and put a light spray in it: the tip slipped in with no difficulty! I guess next time I should use some real lube  ::)

I'll try to make a video tomorrow showing the swapping in action.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »

The OWB tip works way better with the ID adapter and clean bearings.  Much pleased.  I had an extra...

Also pleased that a little mineral oil applied to the well wall with a toothpick made removing and replacing the tip assemblies smooth as butter.

Interesting to note that the barrel/bearing seat of the tip assembly has two grooves and o-rings, but the bearing well in the top body only has one groove.  I wondered why at first until I realized the barrel is reversible.  I realized this even before I made the mistake of putting it back in backwards.  :-[  (Hint:  If your OWB top wirewalks, its OWB is in upside-down!)

This all got me to thinking that it would be cool/possible to have a double tipped removable assembly such that you would simply pull the thing out and reverse it for change of tip style.  Not easy, but possible I think?
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »

I just received from Maurizio two new tip barrel cores.  I installed on one a  bearing-point tip ("eyes tip" ?) from Spintopwin. Now I have 4 tips that I can swap in an a few seconds!  8)

Because the back nut was too big to fit through the top openings, I made a custom nut by machining down a nut on the lathe: it now looks like a threaded cylinder. I used some teflon tape on the thread to stop it from unscrewing.

I think I am going to use the last barrel core for a custom fixed tip. Then it will be the ultimate top!  :)

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »

I saw these were available for pre-order a while back and, due to budget constraints, couldn't buy. Will this top be available in the future?

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »

Very nice!  I like the "eyes tip" name.  I still have one of these kits on my wish list.  It looks like I missed the preorder on yoyoexpert. :-\

I just received from Maurizio two new tip barrel cores.  I installed on one a  bearing-point tip ("eyes tip" ?) from Spintopwin. Now I have 4 tips that I can swap in an a few seconds!  8)

Because the back nut was too big to fit through the top openings, I made a custom nut by machining down a nut on the lathe: it now looks like a threaded cylinder. I used some teflon tape on the thread to stop it from unscrewing.

I think I am going to use the last barrel core for a custom fixed tip. Then it will be the ultimate top!  :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 02:18:19 PM »

I added the diabolo tip that Jospin makes (see: Diabolo Style Strummol8 Tips) to my STB 3.0 kit.  :)
I ran out of cut-outs for the (5) tips (standard fixed tip, bearing tip, one-way bearing tip, eyes-tip and diabolo tip)!

I set it up as fixed tip, because it's a monster at regens!  8) But it's also completely compatible with bearing and even one-way bearing play!
It's amazing that this is his first project using a lathe: the quality is professional!

As other tips that have an aggressive narrow neck, the tip does not walk much, so it's not for wire-walking-based tricks.
Perhaps the only thing I would change is make the head even a little bigger.

Excellent work, Jospin! Thanks!

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »

I added the diabolo tip that Jospin makes (see: Diabolo Style Strummol8 Tips) to my STB 3.0 kit.  :)
I ran out of cut-outs for the (5) tips (standard fixed tip, bearing tip, one-way bearing tip, eyes-tip and diabolo tip)!

I set it up as fixed tip, because it's a monster at regens!  8) But it's also completely compatible with bearing and even one-way bearing play!
It's amazing that this is his first project using a lathe: the quality is professional!

As other tips that have an aggressive narrow neck, the tip does not walk much, so it's not for wire-walking-based tricks.
Perhaps the only thing I would change is make the head even a little bigger.

Excellent work, Jospin! Thanks!
Glad it worked out for you!  I have quite a few top based projects in mind for both my metal and wood lathes... the problem is always time... and materials ha ha.
How much bigger would the ideal head be?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »

I would make it the same diameter as the shoulder. That is MY ideal, but perhaps it would be too big for others.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »

I would make it the same diameter as the shoulder. That is MY ideal, but perhaps it would be too big for others.
:o
I accidentally made one 10 mm instead of the 9 mm I specified and it looked huge... I can't imagine what the full 12 mm would look like!  Doesn't mean I won't find out though...  ;D