iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First Top Turned-Sabaspin #1  (Read 13094 times)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: First Top Turned-Sabaspin #1
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »

I like the shape of the other one better. The Spintastic, and Ripcord, are the best shapes to start with. Cant Waite to see how you balance it.

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »

wow thats a nice looking top @-@ uve become a legit top maker my friend.
Thanks for your kind words. I'm working on it.

I like the shape of the other one better. The Spintastic, and Ripcord, are the best shapes to start with. Cant Waite to see how you balance it.
Just wanted to try a different shape to experiment. I might round it out a little more, let's see what happens next class. ;)

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: First Top Turned-Sabaspin #2
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »

UPDATE. #2
Yesterday I had another class, so I started working on #2. Last week we had glued two pieces of Almond Tree wood and sandwiched between them a couple of layers of two other woods (the names escape me right now but I will get them next week).
This was a harder turning session as the wood was really hard and the grain was crossed, but it was a lot of fun.
I had to cut the class short, for it was my wife's birthday, so I didn't finish.
I will be putting the tip next and turning it some more to reduce it a little, balance it and then sand and polish. Will wrap it up next week.
I don't know how well it is going to spin, I think its pretty heavy, but it will sure look beautiful once it is sanded and polished.
Here are some pics of the work in progress. 8)

A couple of weeks ago I finished #2 and hadn't had a chance to update. I made a mistake when drilling the hole for the tip and it came out a little off center, so the top wobbles a  little, aside from that I think it came out beautiful. I will have to play with it in the lathe again to fine tune it and I think it would benefit a lot from a larger tip for tricks, as the string is pretty thick for the C-Tip. Now I have to figure out how to make larger tips.
For now I stopped the top making in class, to learn other cutting techniques. yesterday I made my work mallet.
Here is a link to see the top:

Although not top related here is a pick of the mallet I turned yesterday in class.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »

Nice work!   Very good looking top as well as that mallet!
The shape and finish on both are beautiful, what wood did you use? 
What is the ring portion of the top made of?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:02 PM »

That is a great looking #2 top! If that is the quality of your first tops ever, you are going to get very far!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »

Nice work!   Very good looking top as well as that mallet!
The shape and finish on both are beautiful, what wood did you use? 
What is the ring portion of the top made of?

Thanks Larry!!
At first I had said that the top was made from wood from the almond tree but I was later corrected, it  was made from Algarrobo tree-Hymenaea courbaril (Fabaceae). I put the scientific name because that name is used for different trees throughout the Americas. The seeds from the tree are used in another very traditional game we call "gallitos" ( it means little roosters, but it is more inclined as reference for cockfighting). The seeds are drilled in the middle and attached to a string, then one of the players place their Gallito on the ground and the other must try to hit it and break it if you miss is the other players turn. The game ends when one of the gallitos  breaks. Like battle tops.
The stripes are composed of three layers of two different woodss but I don't know what kind they are, they were laying around in the shop where I take my classes.
The mallet is also algarrobo.
Here is a picture of the seeds "Gallitos".

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »

That is a great looking #2 top! If that is the quality of your first tops ever, you are going to get very far!
Thanks Ta0. Lathe on its way, it will take a while as it was a group order to save on shipping.  So I should arrive at # 10 soon. ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: First Top Turned-Sabaspin #2
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »

UPDATE. #2
Yesterday I had another class, so I started working on #2. Last week we had glued two pieces of Almond Tree wood and sandwiched between them a couple of layers of two other woods (the names escape me right now but I will get them next week).
This was a harder turning session as the wood was really hard and the grain was crossed, but it was a lot of fun.
I had to cut the class short, for it was my wife's birthday, so I didn't finish.
I will be putting the tip next and turning it some more to reduce it a little, balance it and then sand and polish. Will wrap it up next week.
I don't know how well it is going to spin, I think its pretty heavy, but it will sure look beautiful once it is sanded and polished.
Here are some pics of the work in progress. 8)

A couple of weeks ago I finished #2 and hadn't had a chance to update. I made a mistake when drilling the hole for the tip and it came out a little off center, so the top wobbles a  little, aside from that I think it came out beautiful. I will have to play with it in the lathe again to fine tune it and I think it would benefit a lot from a larger tip for tricks, as the string is pretty thick for the C-Tip. Now I have to figure out how to make larger tips.
For now I stopped the top making in class, to learn other cutting techniques. yesterday I made my work mallet.
Here is a link to see the top:

Although not top related here is a pick of the mallet I turned yesterday in class.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:58:56 AM by ta0 »

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »

Awesome! I love the look of that second top!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: First Top Turned-Sabaspin #5-9
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »

Hello. I've been busy at the lathe and haven't posted for a while.

Here is a video for #4 and 5. Both from mahogany from the hardware store (not sure if its authentic mahogany) but nice looking wood. #5 is probably one the best playing of all.

Here is a video for #6 which is made from a local wood called Capa Blanco (Petitia domingensis), very hard and heavy. This one is a little wobbly, but I think I can try to balance it out. Also really needs a larger tip for a thicker string.

Here is a picture of 5-9.

#7 I did it in two pieces, hollowed them out and glued the pieces together. Very light and pretty well balanced.

#8 is made from real Mahogany (Caoba)from a tree cut down locally. Very well balanced, my favorite.

#9 is made from Blue Mahoe also from a tree cut down locally. The top is a grayish purple, the pictures don't do it justice.

Will try to get a video done with them and daylight pictures.

Really enjoying turning the tops.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:04:15 AM by Sabaspin »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »

It looks like it is possible to have WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the stand is a terrific idea.
Beautiful, very well done, MORE please, many more.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »

Very beautiful! 

You make me want to go down right now and start turning........except I have this stupid meeting first!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »

Very nice wooden tops! I really like the Capá Blanco look but all the woods are beautiful.

I wish I had a more convenient setup for my (mini-metal) lathe. The garage has no air conditioning or heating, so most of the year it is either too hot or (like now) too cold. But like The Earl I am feeling the urge to turn something after looking at your creations.

Cosa

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 07:17:09 PM »

Wow!  These are fantastic, Juan!  I'm inspired to go out and turn on my lathe!
I'd never heard of Blue Mahoe, but now I'm going to be hunting some down.

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 01:39:07 AM »

Thanks to all for your coments.
Earl, Ta0 and Cosa lets have some top turning fever going on for 2016.

Cosa, ley me know if you can find some, if not I can get you some and send it, its fairly common here the hard part is getting some that is not cut into planks.

Happy new year to all.