iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How To Be a Player Vol 2 (Spintops)  (Read 12834 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: How To Be a Player Vol 2 (Spintops)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »

I guess the chances that Chris has kept the belt all these years so he can donate it to the hall of fame are remote . . .

I think Alan made his first giant top (The Great Bambino) around 2001 or 2002, so that was after the Duncan video.
Here is a photo comparing Watts' 63 and Figaro:

#63 : 8" width, 11" tall
Figaro: 10" width, 10 1/4 tall

Surprisingly, although Figaro is hollow, it is over a pound heavier.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:21:41 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »

Who is the guy who wears the mask and comes running on the stage yelling "TOMPO!!!"
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »

Who is the guy who wears the mask and comes running on the stage yelling "TOMPO!!!"

You mean the guy at 17:27 who grabs Steve? I am guessing he is the same big guy who used to participate on the top battle at nats (throwing some "rocks") and was in charge of the wedgies (I cannot recall his name). Steve wears the Mexican wrestling mask and shouts Trompo at other times (and stops Neff from yoyoing in a spintop video  >:D )

" . . . and this is a Duck", another classic.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »

Could it be this guy?  Here is his bio from yoyowiki........

"Jake Maloney also known as El Jake is a yo-yo player from the US and a member of Duncan Crew World-Wide.  Jake is known for performing in his Mexican wrestler mask, as well as his helpful attitude when demonstrating and teaching people to yo-yo."

I remember talking to him once about his track and field background.  Someone told me he was pretty good with the discus throw and he told me about some of the meets he won and placed well in Michigan while in high school.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:22:53 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »

Yes, you got it, I was thinking of Jake.

Now, this thread is becoming a mystery: where in the world is Chris?   ;)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »

Speaking of Elvis (which I think is a nom-de-plume Steve used on occasion), there something shown called the 'Elvis bind' at 25:58.  I've seen this before and cannot figure how it's done.  Any tips on how to achieve this cool bind?

Have you tried the trick? Where are you having problems?

I don't know why I was stuck on this. Just tried it and it worked first time.   :-\  :)

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 03:14:40 AM »

Just to fill in some information..

Lao (at least as of a couple years ago, I assume still) lives in Tallahassee. He teaches at SAIL high school. It's a magnet emphasizing creative learning, etc.. lots of cool classes, he teaches what is effectively a skill toy class. They do juggling, yoyo, spintop, kendama, etc. and I know he's even managed to get school trips arranged to go play disc golf in various cities.

His brother Alan is also in Tallahassee, great juggler/diabolo player/etc.

---

Jake Maloney competed as El Jake for a while as he was on scholarship and part of the deal is that he couldn't compete in any event outside of school, at least not as Jake Maloney.. so he created the alter-ego as a stage name.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

I'm at lunch right now so I don't have much time, but I think I have that belt still. Well most of it. I think a stripper broke it.

kevinm

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »

I'm at lunch right now so I don't have much time, but I think I have that belt still. Well most of it. I think a stripper broke it.

That sounds like it may be even more interesting than the emu story.
How to be a Player, Vol III !

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »

Well most of it. I think a stripper broke it.

one hell of a strong stripper i suppose @-@ not sure if id let a girl that strong get ahold of my belt @-@

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »

I wore that belt for... maybe 5 years straight?  It was not an expensive belt. I'm not even sure if it was real leather.  Anyway, somewhere in the early oughts I was attending a bachelor party for a good friend of mine which happened to be at a fairly tame strip bar.  I wasn't really into it and my friends noticed so they paid one of the gals to get me up on stage for some humility.  The gals had a routine where they take of the guy's belt and display a variety of uses for it, some of which I had not seen before.  Anyway, the gal grabs the end of my belt, and the end of it ripped by the buckle.  She held up the 3 inch belt piece for all to see.  Then she did a miniature version of her belt routine which was very, very, funny.  I think I still have that belt somewhere...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »

Oh my!!!  A belt and an even BIGGER story live!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 12:19:47 AM »

Well, back to HTBAPVII.  The week that I spent with Steve Brown and Mark McBride running around Tallahassee shooting video and coming up with ideas... that was the best week of my previous life.  I need to watch it again to see what stories come to mind.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »

I would like to hear some of your comments and inside stories like: which park was used for Lao's spinning and what pond did his top roll into......did you ever throw any other tops other than Duncan during the week......do you suppose that cow is still there......who's kitchen is being used for the opening of the ripcord package (pretty funny stuff)......did you ever hear any stories about the sideburned Duncan demonstrator on the old clips.......wonder who's grocery cart that was that Steve Brown balanced on his chin.......were other parks used for some of the other clips?

Just a side note: notice what t-shirt Felix is wearing.  Go Pac-Man!!!

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »

I just spent the weekend hanging out with Lao and his brother at the Groundhog's Day Juggling Festival here in Atlanta.  Duncan sent Sean Perez up from Orlando with someone else to man the booth who's name I don't recall.  While I was at the table, I was talking spintops and pointed at Lao and told the guy "He's the guy who invented Corkscrew" to which he replied, "wasn't that invented in the '70's?".  If I remember right, he was positive that "How to be a Player" came out in the 80's.  I don't remember Lao throwing a top all weekend but Alan and I did for a while, he even got his son a Ripcord to play with.

Steve's top is a Watt's top. I don't remember the number but I do remember that it weighs about 9 pounds and I thought it was a 9" but I might be mistaken.