iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TopDog+Gyro Flop= Fail  (Read 6235 times)

Jeromy K.

TopDog+Gyro Flop= Fail
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:08 AM »

Thank you again Jorge for the Tops I love my TopDog and his Mexican friends. But this has a sad side to I have been working on getting my Gyro Flop down, I thought since the TopDog is so stable that it would be perfect to use. BOY was I wrong, with the audience of 3 of my 4 kids I went to do the trick (Dad has to show off) and POP the tip went one way and the top the other. YYJ came up with a unique Idea for the tip but I feel the functionality is lacking. I know they are not being produced any more but the tip is way odd.    Any one else had the same problem or is it just me and what other tricks should I watch for with this top?

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: TopDog+Gyro Flop= Fail
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »

Avoid any trick that doesnt involve the tip landing on a feather pillow...

These are sweet tops, but I only throw mine over the rug or grass.  The tiny tips usually fit pretty tight, but can develop cracks that allow them to dislodge more easily.  Tightly wrapping string between the upper and lower tip is actually one of the ways I've read to get them apart (Daveid said it I think?).

Good luck!
Erratic Wobbler

Jeromy K.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »

I didn't mention in the first post but Jorge gave me a few extra tips also, he was very generous. I will baby it for ever, I polished the ring on it now it looks really nice.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »

Well, yes it does happen, specially if you pull too hard during gyro flop. In fact, it happened to me twice during compulsories! One of those times it made me miss the trick  >:(. But the other was an amazing save: it came out while throwing the one-handed trapeze but it still landed on the little stub and I could correct and spin it on my hand!  :o

I know Jon Gates has told Dale from YYJ to get rid of them. But some like them because they are easy to mod. Mark Hayward used to make them more pointy for doing things like finger spinning in his performances. At one point Alan and myself we did "tip extensions" to facilitate some tricks. I will post a picture of some modified tips later.

I used to play with YYJ tops a lot as those were the ones I used for bearing tricks on my freestyles. But now that they are collector items I am more careful with them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:58:27 AM by ta0 »

Jeromy K.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »

I wish they would tweak them and re release them, I love how it plays the weight ring is in the right place to make it so stable. All they would have to do is make the tip one piece and mold a dual bearing seat in to the top, kinda how Yo-yo Factory does theirs. I think that would solve all the issues. I do have one more question about the top can you take off the cap?  Any way I will cherish this top, Thanks again.

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »

I do have one more question about the top can you take off the cap?

I had the unfortunate opportunity to see the insides of a TD a couple of years ago when one of mine ran across the basement floor and self-mutilated on some cast-iron exercise weights. As you can see from the tear-stained picture below, the lip on the brass ring that marries the cap to the base is slightly undercut and less than 1/32" deep. I can't imagine the two ever coming apart except under catastrophic circumstances. No idea how they fabricated the thing in the first place.

Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

Jeromy K.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:14:06 PM »

That is sad   :'( They must glue them or some thing.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »

About the tips coming out.
   Way back in the 60's I had that problem with Duncan tops.  Jim Schreiber told me to wrap it with tissue paper and push it in very hard.  It worked.  I still do this with tops from time to time.  Might give it a try.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:33 PM »

Gift wrapping tissue paper, or the kind ya blow your nose in?

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »

I use the nose kind.

Chris,
  I am totally impresed with your top yo-yo.  I'm interested in getting one.  When will they be on the market?

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 10:33:18 PM »

I use the nose kind.

Chris,
  I am totally impresed with your top yo-yo.  I'm interested in getting one.  When will they be on the market?

New brand of tops in the making . . . . "Neffy Tops"

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »

I use the nose kind.

Chris,
I didn't see this post untill today.  Currently i'm just making a few at a time for trades and stuff.  Send me a message if you are interested in a trade.

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:08:45 PM »

I had the unfortunate opportunity to see the insides of a TD a couple of years ago when one of mine ran across the basement floor and self-mutilated on some cast-iron exercise weights. As you can see from the tear-stained picture below, the lip on the brass ring that marries the cap to the base is slightly undercut and less than 1/32" deep. I can't imagine the two ever coming apart except under catastrophic circumstances. No idea how they fabricated the thing in the first place.

The weird thing about yyj products is that they somehow seam metal and plastic with pressure. I don't know how their yoyo's and tops don't explode more often, but anyone whose owned a Bulldog and broke it, knows that the plastic must have been under extreme pressure when the top was together. The cap has to physically be smashed into the body to fit!
Spin top is the new yo-yo