iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New member and purchasing suggestions  (Read 9963 times)

Baughbberick

• Noah Barr (Google+ Profile)
Re: New member and purchasing suggestions
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »

Do not try any sort of nylon or polyester string like mason line, it is terrible for tops, the wind-up often collapses because it is so slick, and throwing it can be hazardous.  ACE Hardware, Menards, and Hobby Lobby have carried playable cotton string in the past.  I am not confident that stuff from JoAnn will work.

You have probably modified your release so the spin top comes out of your hand with the tip out, parallel to the ground, instead of pointing to the sky.  This is a great way to compensate for a short string.

I suspected that it might Neff, so I avoided it for that reason until I could ask. I'll check ACE and Hobby Lobby today and see what they have in the way of natural cotton. I also plan on recording myself in 60FPS so I can run the video at a lower FPS and analyze my throw just to help me reign in the consistency.

what do mean exactly by the tips groove being shallow?

Where the string rests when the top is being played out of the hand, it's too shallow for the cord I got is all.

Since the 20th, my consistency has gotten a bit better, since I got a flying disc to aim for spinners and constant practice for boomerangs; I'd say I'm about 90% of the way towards "I will throw this top and not break or injury anything or anyone." Soon will be the time for learning proper tricks and showing off at the park, hehe.

Also, update on that wonky tip... So Duncan, instead of sending me just the tip, or the parts kit that has the tip in it; sent me a whole brand new Bearing King that had a good fixed tip with it, it was in the mail after I got home from the library on the 20th; so now I have two, both in orange, one with a fixed tip and another with the bearing tip, haha. It's refreshing in an era of where good customer service is usually a faint hope at best, to receive such fast, competent, and complete service. Good on Duncan in my book, so definitely getting that Skyhawk when I have the funds.

So that's my update for today; hopefully I'll have my bike road ready by my next post and I'll be at the library more to participate in future threads.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

Yup, good on Duncan. Glad to hear you've gotten your consistency up. I'd agree you've subconsciously modified your throw/grip to make up for your short string.  P.S. Chris has a new method of making string that quick and easy. Until you figure out how to make your own, I would have Chris make you one or two (he'll even make a left handed string)!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »

We ordered the OWB for the Chico top
like 5 months ago / they keep jerking us
around / We are just waiting ???????
   Makes us look bad but I cant make them
 RFC

yoyoexpert has removed the listing for the chico owb  :'(