iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: record breaking ?? whipping top  (Read 6106 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
record breaking ?? whipping top
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:15:18 PM »

from the video description
A giant spinning top weighing a whopping 1,306 kilograms was recently spun in square in Shuicheng County, in southwest China's Guizhou Province. Twenty strong men span the top as fast as they could and then constantly whipped it to keep it spinning. The process lasted around 20 minutes and amazed the large crowd that gathered to watch

This is a different top but the commentary is in English and mentions Guinness

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:42:58 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: record breaking ?? whipping top
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »

Great videos!  Thanks for posting them johnm.

That is some serious whipping in the first one.  I could not help but laugh the first time I saw the intensity of the action.

At the end of the third video is a group shot with a bunch of people with whips.  It looked like a great team effort.  Wish we could do something fun like this at Miamisburg!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

great finds! you know every time i see a video of one of these giant tops spinning im always amazed at how those people are silly enough to think that being so close to a top spinning like that is a good idea, think runaway QSH times a thousand @-@, death spinning round maybe is the thrill i suppose..... thrilling to see from the safety of my rocking chair though  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:00:28 AM »

from the video description
A giant spinning top weighing a whopping 1,306 kilograms was recently spun in square in Shuicheng County, in southwest China's Guizhou Province. Twenty strong men span the top as fast as they could and then constantly whipped it to keep it spinning. The process lasted around 20 minutes and amazed the large crowd that gathered to watch

When I saw it I doubted that top weighted way over one metric ton as it looked to me to be smaller than 1 cubic meter and most woods float in water and therefore weigh less than 1,000 kg/m3. But the inscription of the top says in fact 2,612 Chinese pounds (which are equivalent to 0.5 kg, a little larger than American pounds) or 1,306 kilograms.

It also has two other inscriptions saying 95 cm and 115 cm, which I am guessing are the diameter and height (it is consistent with the height of the people). Even if it was a full cylinder (no pointed end) that gives about 0.8 m3. I first thought the difference (at least 500 kg) must come from the weight of the center steel axle. But even a 3 inch steel bar, 130 cm long weighs only 46 kg.  Mm, perhaps the tip section has a large steel cone? :-\

At the end of the third video is a group shot with a bunch of people with whips.  It looked like a great team effort.  Wish we could do something fun like this at Miamisburg!!!
I am sure sooner or later we will . . .  :)

great finds! you know every time i see a video of one of these giant tops spinning im always amazed at how those people are silly enough to think that being so close to a top spinning like that is a good idea, think runaway QSH times a thousand @-@, death spinning round maybe is the thrill i suppose..... thrilling to see from the safety of my rocking chair though  ;)
I would actually be more concerned about receiving a major whip lash! I bet that happens from time to time!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »

I would actually be more concerned about receiving a major whip lash! I bet that happens from time to time!

omg i didnt even think of that, that would probably open ya right up @-@

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
big top : china
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »

hi all

here a vid from CCTV
the top measures 80X80 cm (around 32 inches)
they claim it's the biggest top it takes place in the Wuhan region
 they don't know Joe  ;D ;D

http://cctv.cntv.cn/2014/07/02/VIDE1404269641457280.shtml

have fun watching
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »

I merged your post Jim, because it is the same as the video from Wuhan above, but narrated in French instead of English.  ;)

here a vid from CCTV
the top measures 80X80 cm (around 32 inches)
they claim it's the biggest top it takes place in the Wuhan region
 they don't know Joe  ;D ;D

The dimensions of Joe's top are much larger. But the weight claimed is more than double: 1000 kg for the whip top against just 450 kg for Joe's! Still, that would be less than the weight claimed by the other giant whip top on this thread. I think we need to send Ludo to officially certify the weight  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:22:13 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:51:53 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »

good tune
i saw them on stage at the time

"mongoloid" has always been my favourite

jim

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Whipping top tournament
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 12:17:15 AM »

[Moderator Edit: merged with previous thread about this whip top]

A whipping top tournament in china, 2016. Kind of late to post this though. Everything after 1:01 is unrelated.

Who knew they had peg tops?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:49:03 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 10:55:50 AM »

Thanks for posting this, Texture.!)

It's very nice to see Mr. Lin Senhai making a demo at the whip to event and the exchange between the giant and target top culture of Daxi, Taiwan, and the whip top culture of mainland China.

The subtitle is really off about the weight! (2.6 kg instead of 2.6 Chinese Tons!) ;D  >:D

This is what the youtube post says:

The fifth Whipping Top Competition opened Saturday in Liupanshui City of southeast China's Guizhou Province, attracting 123 teams totaling some 2,700 players from across the country to showcase their fantastic stunts.

"We are lucky to have the chance to be here. The ways people in the mainland play whipping tops are different from ours, but they can be combined. I feel it's a great idea to combine your whipping way and our fixed spinning," said Lin Senhai, a famous player from Taiwan nicknamed “Taiwan's king of whipping tops".

A gigantic top made by the whipping top association in Liupanshui became the focus of public attention.

"The whipping top is made from a kind of wood from Cambodia. It is 2.6 kilograms in weight, 1.15 meters in height with a diameter of 0.95 meters. We need dozens of players whipping together to make it spin,"said Zhao Kuining, chairman of Liupanshui whipping top association.

As a sport entertaining both the old and the young, whipping top is enjoyed by more and more people. This year's competition has attracted players aged from 2 to 85 years.

The news that hotels in the city were all booked Friday made people excited. Liupanshui expects that this event brings more people to visit.

I didn't know there were whipping top competitions. I wonder what are the rules.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:10:09 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »

If the goal is to have the loudest, then I propose that the record is held in the fellowship hall of St. Jacob at the 2018 nationals.  That was crazy with several going and so many individuals whipping tops and whipping other people.  At one point Val Oliver walked over to me with her hands over her ears and said something like "it's too much" and exited the room!!!

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 06:28:29 PM »

Whip top tournament photo:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:10:06 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 10:12:04 PM »

Whip top tournament photo:

That actually looks like a Tuj Lub competition.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »

Cuper found this photo with the caption: "Chinese participants whip the 2,000 kilograms spinning top to keep it spinning during a spinning top game in Xiayi county, Shangqiu city, central China"

I suspect this is again 2000 Chinese pounds and not two metric tons.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:54:38 PM by ta0 »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 04:20:40 PM »

Similar photo:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:49:26 PM by ta0 »
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up