iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Herman Miller tops  (Read 3270 times)

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
Herman Miller tops
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Herman Miller tops
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »

Thanks for the link and welcome, Rob.

If memory serves me correctly, you are one heck of a woodturner.  With all the demands on our people who make big tops, have you ever considered making some of the larger tops?  It surely seems like there is lots of interest from others for some more big ones right now.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:14 PM »

Thanks for the link Rob!
The page mentions that the famous designer couple Charles and Ray Eames were spintop collectors. In fact, they made a couple of films that are real eye candy for spintop lovers.

And welcome as an active member!

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »

Hey guys!  I actually started woodturning to make big tops and then never really got into it.  Mostly it was getting the big blanks together, between the cost and the time, I never did it.  I have been thinking about doing it the way Alan does though, it's really a great way to save time and money (turning time that is, not gluing time).  I just need to get the lathe out ;)

I did make one big top early on for John Hornbeck.  Solid oak, probably 6 - 7 inches.  The only problem was the tip.  John wanted a bearing tip so we tried to get a YYJ tip to work on it and I don't think that was the best solution (and this was before I had started any of my metal work).  He might still have it but I thought I saw it up for sale at some point.

Rob