iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: From worlds in Prague  (Read 26659 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: From worlds in Prague
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »

Oh no!!!  Every top spinner's nightmare.....a top at the bottom of a river.  But this is no ordinary river or ordinary top!  So sad.

It has been fun to watch the videos.  I am finally at computers where I can enjoy them.  Lots of very good top spinning.  And from the looks of things it appears that Tyler tied the record for the least number of tops used in a routine.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »

Lost to the ages.  Sorry to hear about that one.

I've seen the videos and I'm really impressed.  All the routines had their high spots, some were higher than others, that's all.

Congratulations to all the spinners for getting to this point.  On stage must have been exciting and nerve wracking.

Hope everyone made it back safely and is looking forward to next year.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

Congrats CZ indeed! that was awesome.
there are some really great still photos linked from the yoyonews page of day two, that include lots of yo-yo stuff, and some
very good spin top photos, check it out:

http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/photoreport-day-2/

Thanks, Kevin. I am just looking at these. I'll embed them:

The same trick caught in the rehearsing room:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:31:42 PM by ta0 »

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »

Jorge: After you purchased that large reflective piece of glass you should have known your luck for this trip had run out. ::)

:( R.I.P. Chico 2.0. :(
Maybe some day it will wash up on the river bank downstream and a deserving kid will find it!
Spread the joy!!! :P

Mike: Yes I only used one top throughout my whole freestyle. A couple snap starts but all the same top. ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »

. . .
Spintop photoscan be found in this galleries:
http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/photoreport-day-1/
http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/photoreport-day-2/  (already linked in this topic)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.889403074416844.1073741872.167084646648694

Me and ta0 are going to upload more photos and videos later  ;)

Little by little I am looking at the photos already posted. Here I am embedding for easy finding the ones I found on those links:

Click on these for large versions:

yollector

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »

Hey Jorge,
 Sorry to hear about your Chico top.
Maby Jim could rent some Scuba Gear and look
for it in his spare time ?
                 RFC

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »

I just got back home yesterday evening. What a wonderful trip!  I could finally meet in person many old cyber friends and make new spintop friends, had lots of quality spintop play, anecdotes and new experiences ;D  I am now exhausted and with lots of work-related emails and phone messages to answer, but I will try to post reports and photos as soon as I can. I have not yet seen the videos and photos already posted.

Unfortunately, Ludo had a last minute second problem and we couldn't meet  :(  But I did leave a souvenir in Paris: a brand new Chico 2.0 spintop at the bottom of Seine river!  :'(  I was trying to frame a photo taking advantage of the Paris Plages event. It was the same top with which I ended up my routine spinning on my finger. It had a short but good life.

this is truly sad to hear  :'( but you know what ta0 you are probably the only person in the world to say that you lost your spintop in the seine river so thats something unique eh?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »

Small gallery here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.926485494032038.1073741830.851891878158067

If you guys, who have been there, are missing something just give me know  ;)

Great gallery of photos!

The spintop battling crew. From left to right: Tyler, Jan, Daniel, Jakub, ta0, Otvirak and Tomorex (Tomáš).
Otvirak and Tomorex have just registered on this forum. Of course, I got their photos with Figaro. They are also from the Brno region, the current spintop capital of the world!

Talking about battles, the small arena we used is on its way to the hall of fame  ;D

We battled with several different rules. One game that was new but worked well was the following one.  Each player threw in order. If you missed taking out the top currently spinning in the arena, the target top got 1 point and the attacking top was retrieved. If you could take it out the target top (or there was no top spinning to begin with) and your top remained spinning inside the arena, it became the new target. We played to 10 points. Sometimes you'll pick up more than 5 points in a row because nobody could knock you out.

The two little boys on one of the photos of Jakub's gallery are Felix sons. Felix also battled a little with us, as did Maurizio.

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 02:21:18 AM »

One more spintop photo here: http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/photoreport-day-3/

Maybe I should compete in photo contest with this one  :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 06:28:16 AM »

One more spintop photo here: http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/photoreport-day-3/

wait steve brown was there? did he come by and talk tops n whatnot with u ppl?

Otvirak

• (Bottle Opener, but abstinent)
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »

yes, steve b. was in the Prague, but i didn't see him with spintop...

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

Welcome Otvirak!
(This is Tyler)  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Bottle Opener!

Steve does not interact much with the top players, except with some old timers. But I have not seen him get together with the spintop crowd since nats 2005 when we threw large tops together at Lucky's. On the other hand, Felix was very interested in what we were doing and said he wants to get back into tops. He drove with his two young sons from Germany, were he is stationed.

Talking about old timers, it was striking the lack of "white hair" in Prague. Except for Dale and Val, all the old demonstrators and the senior players/organizers that you generally saw at US nats and previous world contests, were missing. In fact, there were very few people around older than me  ??? It was funny that when I got out of stage the announcer asked me how old I was and seemed surprised I could still play. I wish I had had time to finish the routine as I wanted, by jumping the top  :D

I finally saw the videos of the routines (the broadcasted version). Half of my drops happened when I was doing simply rcs or switching between tricks. I think the reason was that I was thinking and trying to decide my next trick. After the first couple of misses I got away from the order I had planned, tried to play safe the next few moves and then improvised the order, what is not advisable. And I missed the pirouette two times in a row, when it is a trick that is pretty reliable for me. Will I freestyle again? I was thinking no, but now I feel like I may want to redo the routine next year with more practice . . . We'll see.

Jan's routine was pretty smooth; I liked it and I am surprised that I had a higher score. The Cometa demonstrators in general have so ingrained in them to start from a freshly wrapped top that they could not stop winding during the freestyle, even though I warned them against it. I saw Marietta practice and the nerves got hold of her on stage. I am still amazed that Jakub pulled a vortex in his routine, wow! I think he also did a let-go-one-hand sun (I forgot the name Salvador gave them). Daniel did some difficult an original tricks, like the under the leg neckties combo. He dropped more than Tyler but I think the scores should have been closer.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

What was the temperature in the hall that day?  Was it hot on stage?  Did people tend to sweat more under the lights?  I doubt that anyone brought a fan along to keep their hands dry until they went on.  Since I sweat so easily, I always brought a fan the last couple years to worlds and it made a huge difference for me.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »

yes, steve b. was in the Prague, but i didn't see him with spintop...

sad  :'( . welcome otvirak  :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up