iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: top spinning at the IJA fest at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana  (Read 20129 times)

Jack

• Demigod member

Ah yes, that was one of my early ones. I make them heavier now, and in a different shape

thats interesting what are you doing differently? also is the extra weight intended?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

. . .  I'm not exaggerating when I  say we had 5 or 6 sessions with 7-8 of us. I don't remember so many at past conventions.
:o  8) 8) 8) 8)

Could this be an indication of increasing popularity in the juggling community? Would it reach some critical mass?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member

. . .  I'm not exaggerating when I  say we had 5 or 6 sessions with 7-8 of us. I don't remember so many at past conventions.
:o  8) 8) 8) 8)

Could this be an indication of increasing popularity in the juggling community? Would it reach some critical mass?

If the Rochester Juggling Club is any indication, there is, indeed, an increasing popularity.  All it took was a visible presence at the RIT Juggle-In by some enthusiastic top spinners (yourself included!), and the seed was sown.

Now we have 5 or 6 jugglers who take time out from juggling at our weekly Sunday meeting to throw tops....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Thanks for your recaps.  I really appreciate it and am thrilled to hear about the interest!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member

Hres is a picture of Rick holding a repaired Cyclone. I tried to get him to throw her again but he would have none of it.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member

Curtis Carlyle did a few top tricks on stage and also MC'ed the final show. Nice funny guy. He probably can throw a top with his mustache or more likely whip it.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member

A few more photos of a Rascal Fest, Mike flaunting his John Markus top, Marc Daniels for Louisville who performs tops in his act also, and Anna , a Russian top enthusiast.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member

We had a contest were we tried to throw a top onto a Upside down Hot Fudge Sunday vase. I couldn't do it well but Rick and Marc were experts.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Thanks for the photos, makes me feel I was there.

So many props lying around!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Yes, great pictures.  I appreciate you posting them.  Did Mark Hayward eventually show up?  Glad you got one of Anna.  She really showed a lot of interest and that pic could help Ta0 when he sees her at the Austin fest.  I didn't know Marc Daniels showed up.

The woman with the green tie dye shirt is no ordinary individual.  I joggled with her back on the 90's and she was tough.  Her mile record from 1989 lasted for 24 years.  Her name is still in he record book as part of the mile relay.  She confessed that she had several tops at home including a Don Olney Toycrafter top from the 1992 IJA fest in Montreal!!!

Jack

• Demigod member

A few more photos of a Rascal Fest, Mike flaunting his John Markus top, Marc Daniels for Louisville who performs tops in his act also, and Anna , a Russian top enthusiast.

excellent! thank you for posting the pics  ;) can someone tell me about that red top n the second pic?? i recognize the face i just have a terrible time remembering names to faces without prolonged and varied context, i am sorry really  :-[  great pictures jim  :D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

That is me (Mike Hout) holding a johnm creation.  It is made with a diabolo tip and utilizes the colors of the Ohio State buckeyes.

johnm

• Ultrahero member

This looks tiring and none of the action is accessible but the spintop gang picked center screen to set up camp.  If you look fast you can see the JNeff pile of fun sometimes near the center of the frame.  Mike is regularly visible and sometimes with the saucer sled out.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

This is hilarious!!!  It proves that I really do sit more than I used to.

On Thursday afternoon you can see the gathering of people in a circle around the world's largest collection of rascals!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

I'm really late to do this, but here goes:

I arrived late Wed. and found Mike strumming a guitar. He had established a 'top zone' where he and JimN had set up.  We moved from there to the front entryway because that was the only carpeted spot we could find.  Mike then showed me a johnm top, which I played with for quite some time.  A sly look came over Mike's face, then he brought out the big top, another johnm creation.  Both of these beauties spun so well I did not want to stop.  I got some tips from Mike on the current bane of my existence, the drumbeat (thanks Mike). We talked for some time and retired for the night.

The rest of the festival went like this:  JimN shows up up with his two (at least) huge bags of toys.  Lots of chinese tops which are monobolos and require a set of handsticks.  He's really good with those.  And lots of weird things to spin atop a stick, like a spinning plate,  but I don't think I ever saw a plate. I saw colanders, a frying pan, bowls of various shapes and sizes, etc.  These attracted a lot of jugglers who would come over and give things a try. And lots of diablo type contraptions, including a bicycle tire
mounted on either a diablo or monoblo setup.

An outside session with the big tops.  Curtis C. tried but was unable to get Autograph up and spinning.  He gave it a really good try. JimN of course threw Cyclone, which finally gave me peace of mind that it was fully functional.  Turns out a friend of his actually fixed it for him.  This also was when JimN threw his 7 monoblo setup.

We taught quite a few people to spin actually.  The top zone was always busy with lots of people returning day after day.  I had fun meeting Marc and being the champ at the upside down ice cream vase for a while, thanks to Marc for bringing that.  One thing about Marc was that he used a 7 foot string (I asked) with a Bearing King top.  I've now got Chad Lunders tasked to make me one that long here in Lincoln.

Mark Hayward did show up Friday (?) night, and someone gave him a teeny-tiny top.  After a few tries, he boomeranged it!

It was great to see Kathy again. Her girls learned to spin and she may be hooked again herself. 

I got JimN to show me a super long wirewalker, using a Korean top (my definition) and fishing line. I now know the secret and will be working on that trick.  Thanks Jim.

I know I've forgotten much, and will repost when I think of more highlights.  Mike and Jim have done a great job of reviewing the week in Purdue, I don't have that much more to add. Oh and Mike, the bathroom was really nice but I was expecting a lounge of some sort with attentants, scented soaps, etc. going by your exuberance  ;D ;D

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up