iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bearing tips for 4" Watts tops? Mods, trade, buy, I'm open to suggestions...  (Read 4924 times)

BillB

Hi everyone,

I have a collection of 4" Watts tops and I'm interested in installing bearing tips into a few of them. If I understand the process correctly, this is a project. Does anyone here know how I would go about approaching this?

I'm also interested in any ways that could significantly improve spin times. I'm trying to develop a new act where I get 7 tops spinning simultaneously, but I'm stuck because the spin times are too short.

Thank you for any tips & suggestions.

I'd consider trading some of my 4" tops for a matched set of six, 4 or 5 inch, bearing tip tops, but I'd rather not part with any of them.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Welcome to the forum, Bill!

A bearing tip can increase spin times a lot when the top is on the string or when it is spinning in a rough or soft surface. But if you spin a top on a hard and smooth surface (e.g., glass or steel), you don't gain much spin with respect to a fixed tip top. A somewhat rounded tip may work better that a very pointed tip as it will make the top stand straight up instead of drawing circles. I have never tried it, but perhaps some lubricant on the spinning surface could work (or may just make a mess).

We previously discussed your show and I am sure we are all very excited that you are planning to include more tops in it!

There is a Spanish street artist who is working on a spintop routine inspired by the spinning plates routine:  The Candelabrum.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

Bill, welcome to the forum.  I always look forward to doing some spinning at the KC juggling fest this Sept.(?) and I understand Team Rootberry will there as a special guest.  Hope we can get together with the other KC area spinners that usually show up and spin some. (Neff, DavidID I'm talking to you  :) )

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

Changing a tip to bearing is not easy. I have made lot's of bearing tips for my Grandson. You need a machinist lathe with a compound feed. And you have to hold a few tenths tolerance. I sure don't want to make anymore.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Welcome, Bill.  Are you also a big yoyo guy?  Maybe I am thinking of the wrong guy?

One way or the other, we are glad you are here!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!

I agree bearing tips will not help any if you are spinning on plates or something, only if it is in your hand and you can balance it while it spins.  When a bearing tip is locked in place, the precession causes it to fall over faster.  A fixed tip can circle around and correct itself.

Removing center weight and adding rim weight will add spin time.  Hollowing a completed top is harder than making a hollow one from scratch and painting it like a Watts Top.  At KC Juggle fest I can show you one of the tops I make that have a corian ring at the fat part of the top, they spin pretty good for a larger top.  However, the best 4" top you can buy* is made by John M - a hollow top made of sturdy HDPE and a fine, fine metal tip.

I am excited to see your show and hope to meet you in KC!

BillB

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome and great tips/advice, it's much appreciated. Sorry for the delayed response, I'd been traveling for the past week :)

Yes, I'd love to spin at the KC fest, I'm a relative noob to tops but looking forward to learning more, especially regenerations.

I'm probably not the yoyo guy you're thinking of.

(kinda lumped all my responses into one here, I'm at a hotel briefly before heading to the airport but wanted to say thanks)

Rock on!

Bill

BillB

My babies... It's so difficult to pick a favorite, they all have their own personalities :)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

WOW!!  Besides Walters shop (which I haven't been to), that's for sure the largest collection of Watt's Tops I've ever had the pleasure to see.  I can understand why you would have a hard time choosing one above the rest.  What's the earliest and latest numbers do you have?  I'm impressed.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:40:58 AM by lincolnrick »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

24 of them and a nice looking cat, too!  Wow, indeed.  I agree with lincolnrick.  That is quite a collection and I am impressed.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Twenty 4", three 5" and one 6"?  My arm just hurts from the idea of boomeranging all those!  ;D

What a collection!  8)

Mike: his last name rimes with strawberry and blueberry, not with French white wood.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:57:33 AM by ta0 »