iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Duncan Beginner  (Read 2162 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Duncan Beginner
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »

I have never seen a plastic Duncan Beginner before. I suspect that the did not sell many. Interesting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321424634686&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
Re: Duncan Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 06:00:54 AM »

I have not seen the beginner, however I do not know my older Duncan tops very well.

I do not understand the point (pun intended ;D) of the tip shape on these tops. The tip itself looks like a UFO!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »

I do not understand the point (pun intended ;D) of the tip shape on these tops. The tip itself looks like a UFO!

Good eye, czyoyo!  I hadn't noticed that. I have a plastic beginner in my virtual Duncan museum:

but that one has a regular tip.  The one in the auction has the wide tip:

We have called them UFO tips before.  They were in the 1972 Southern California contest kits. They are uncommon so I guess they did not make them in that shape for long.  I guess they were expecting it to help with string tricks, but in practice it hinders play.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »

I have both a wooden and plastic beginners.  The plastic has a regular 'no mar' tip, but the wooden one has the older harder plastic tip. I do have an Imperial with the UFO tip.