iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The rabbit and the spinning egg  (Read 4676 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
The rabbit and the spinning egg
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

On the last newsletter from Grand Illusions this video from Tim's toy museum is featured.  I almost did not watch it as it seemed to be about a simple magnetic attraction between a bunny and an (Easter) egg . . . but boy was I surprised!

I am amazed he can get such fast and continuous spin.  I need to do some experiments . . .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:39:42 PM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: The rabbit and the spinning egg
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

Thanks for the video, I have to search around for my plastic egg.  For the collectors, it is from Chadwick

It is never a bad idea to watch the toy videos from Grand Illusions.  I don't recall seeing this one posted on the forum before.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »

Thanks John for identifying the brand. I found one on Ebay and got it (just $0.99 . . . plus $7.99 for shipping by regular mail  ::) )

It arrived today and it was even better than on the video: instead of being attracted by the bunny, the egg is repelled.  As you approach it with the rabbit, the egg starts to spin at a good clip and will continue doing so as long as you chase it  :o

To me the effect was very surprising.  After some thinking and experimentation by replacing the bunny with a magnet, I figured out how it works. It is actually a very simple setup.  But there is genius in simplicity.  If you want to think about it, here is a clue: the egg always spins in the same direction, but that direction is determined by the type of rabbit.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:35:08 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »

Ahhh.....the type of rabbit!  Like the domestic or the wild rabbit?  Or the cylindrical or the compact rabbit?  Or the fully arched or the semi-arched rabbit?  Or maybe the jill or the jack rabbit?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

Ahhh.....the type of rabbit!  Like the domestic or the wild rabbit?  Or the cylindrical or the compact rabbit?  Or the fully arched or the semi-arched rabbit?  Or maybe the jill or the jack rabbit?

;D  Like in left-handed and right-handed rabbits.  Considering that the rabbit can also be attractive or repulsive to the egg, there are 4 different types of rabbits.

Second clue: given a rabbit, you can modify the egg to be attracted or repelled to the rabbit, but you cannot change the direction it rotates; that is solely given by the rabbit.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 01:17:34 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »

eh eh i'll have a "welsh rarebit" while i think it over

:D

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 11:40:50 AM »

Here is a different version of the bunny and egg replaced with a mirror and a ballerina. It's German but I found it on the French site toupie-shop.com mentioned by Hydrus.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »

For completeness, I'll add to this thread the Magic Top/Magische Kreisel, from Germany, or as the instructions said, Magneto No. 149, that is in Lourens Bas collection.

Contrary to the others, this is a true top (well, if the tip was more rounded it would certainly be).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 09:45:50 PM »

Science youtuber Steve Mould discovered the toy and made a funny video explaining it:

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 04:41:16 PM »

If you haven't yet, and you like science, put Steve Mould in your YouTube feed. His videos aren't usually this silly, but he does a very good job of asking/answering science questions.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 06:59:57 PM »

If you haven't yet, and you like science, put Steve Mould in your YouTube feed. His videos aren't usually this silly, but he does a very good job of asking/answering science questions.

Agree. I usually learn a lot -- even about familiar subjects.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955