iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: a gasing tragedy.........  (Read 2885 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
a gasing tragedy.........
« on: November 28, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »

awhile back i mentioned i was going to post a gasing that had given me a strange experience and so here it is. i made this a cpl months back from some green wood somebody had out at the road. it was risky i know cracking was a 50/50 but we can always hope right :) , well i got the thing made fighting it all the way on my little lathe, hinge pin tip jb welded in, then the linseed oiling began and then i though id done it, it had a small crack in the top of the crown but the crack had stopped moving so all was well and it spun great. a week or 2 later i thought i could see the crack moving a little so i put a small amount more of the oil to it and set it aside, later that night i was reading when it sounded like something had fallen from the ceiling on to the table........but nothing was on the table except the gasing when i looked.....so i sat back down and kept reading but then i started to hear a sort of crackling and this time i traced it back to the gasing!!!!! i was horrified to find that the noise i heard was my beautiful gasing exploding!!!!!!!! literally!!!!!!!!!! cracked from crown to tip weeks after production. so my friends i let it dry for a month or 2 now and a horrific 1/2 inch crack from tip to crown is what we have today. the first pic is the other side which u cant see the crack from, and the second is the cracked side, both with a BK for size comparison. it will be fixed someday i promise u that. a final note which is worth mentioning despite the crack it still spins very well ;p anyway thanks for reading enjoy............

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: a gasing tragedy.........
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »

oops forgot to post its somewhat smaller sibling i made out of the same wood that day which oddly enough did not crack ;p not sure why it looks all lopsided and asymmetrical in this pic its not irl
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:06:59 PM by Jack »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »

It is very interesting that you actually heard it cracking all by itself. And that it was that loud!  It is almost worth the work it took making it.   

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »

What sound does a breaking top make?  The sound of wood splitting must certainly be at the bottom of the list I would put together.  That's quite an unusual experience.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »

what a wonderful story... and who cares if it's cracked or how big the crack is if it still spins good, this is fantastic.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »

It is very interesting that you actually heard it cracking all by itself. And that it was that loud!  It is almost worth the work it took making it.

ya lol almost lol  :D

What sound does a breaking top make?  The sound of wood splitting must certainly be at the bottom of the list I would put together.  That's quite an unusual experience.
it truly was odd, ud expect a noise like a tree falling and sort of crackling as it came down which it did do for several days after but the initial bang sounded like a cross between a champagne cork popping out and hitting 2 pieces of wood together quickly  :-X

what a wonderful story... and who cares if it's cracked or how big the crack is if it still spins good, this is fantastic.

here here as they say ;)