iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello Here is a video  (Read 15210 times)

TML

Hello Here is a video
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:52:47 PM »

Hi everyone,
This is Tai-Min from UC Physics department. Here is a video from Taiwan of kids at elementary school playing tops.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNK_vwj2IbU[/youtube]

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Hello Here is a video
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »

That's fantastic! Amazing! Thanks Tai-Min!

Is it a regular school doing spintop for physical education/after school program, or is it a special school in traditional arts? I couldn't believe when I saw the kids spinning the giant tops! And the initial wire walker is a killer!

TML, are you from China? Could you translate the main gist of this?
Great post to start as an active member. Welcome!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:56:35 PM by ta0 »

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »

That was awesome.  Great post Tai-Min.
Here is some related information.
http://goodsfromjapan.blogspot.com/2006/10/koma-spinning-tops.html
http://knows.jongo.com/res/article/5022

TML

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »

I am glad you love it. It is just a regular public elementary school in Taiwan (Not in China). As the principal said in the video, every new students got a top on their first school day. I will try to translate the contents in the video later when I get chance. And I am from Taiwan, not China.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »

Great video. It gives new meaning to the phrase "too big to fail"  :)

I love the games and the wire walker is epic!

I have one of those Infinate Illusions wood tops of similiar shape.  The queen showed me how to spin it, but I haven't developed the skill yet.
Erratic Wobbler

physboy2357

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:54 PM »

Welcome Tai-Min.  I'm glad you gave in!!!  and a great video.  I think we need to get everyone together and reenact that wirewalker over everone.

TML

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »

Aaron, that sounds a good idea!
I just visited the website of that elementary school. There is even a TOP MUSEUM at that school. You guys may want to check it out. http://www.mhes.tyc.edu.tw/top/default.asp
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:30:11 AM by TML »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

Those are some creative tricks and lots of big tops!  Thanks for posting this.  I laughed out loud as I watched it!  Is this school anywhere near where you grew up Tai-Min? 

As a matter of introduction, Tai-Min has been making great progress with his top spinning.  He is one of the crew that received a quicksilver and had it fine tuned.  He let me spin it.  It is really terrific.

My dream (this is my dream and I'm not sure this is Tai-Min's dream yet) is that Tai-Min will learn lots of tricks here in the United States.  I understand that someday he will be headed back to Taiwan and when he goes back I'd love to see a top explosion in that country because of his great skills!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »

Sorry about that Tai-Min. I was aware this was Taiwan. In fact, I see many more pictures on top spinning coming from Taiwan than from China. Do you know if some of these spintop traditions are more Taiwanese than Chinese?

When I first saw a picture of one of the gigantic tops on flickr I thought that perhaps it was a recent invention from street performers for the sake of tourists. But after seeing these school children I realize this must be a traditional art.

Curiously, the way that at the beginning of the video several kids boomerang their tops to a plate, throwing the tops straight up, looks very similar to the way the Aerobie Megatop is thrown.

I am still amazed the wirewalking top can go that far without losing all the spin!

physboy2357

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »

What blows my mind is that the tops have what look like spear heads as the tips (~55s).  Don't see any other way to catch those than with mini shields.

TML

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »

Hi,
I've done the translation. Hopefully my poor English won't kill you guys. :P

Allow me to introduce a little bit more about Taiwan. It is an island nearby China. It was known as "Formosa" in western world in 16th,17th centuries when Span, Holland, and Portugal ruled part of this island. It was governed by China and Japan (1895 ~ 1946) around several decades ago. Now it is governed by Republic of China (Not the People's Republic of China). The culture in Taiwan is mixed with Chinese, Japanese and aboriginal culture. So does the top culture I think! For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Taiwan.

0 :00 ~ 0:22
The “Walking on the air” is the most attractive trick performed by the students at Mei-Hwa elementary school in Taoyuan, Taiwan. While enjoying spinning tops every day, this skill has helped them win a lot of awards at several traditional competitions. Look! It's a piece of cake to throw a top through a swinging pendulum.

0:22 ~ 0:34
Principal Yang says: “We give every new student a top and a string at the orientation on their first school day. We encourage students to play tops and hopefully by doing so, we are able to preserve our traditional top culture.”

0:34 ~ 0:51
The coach at Mei-Hwa, Chien-Wu Wu, is the champion of a competition for throwing a 100 Kg top.  He also studies a lot of top cultures in Taiwan. “What can walk without feet, talk without a mouth, and overturn without a head?  ”. Coach Wu asks an old riddle. “The answer is obvious. It’s a top.”

0:51 ~1:04
People say tops probably have more than 4000 years history. In Song Dynasty in China, they were called “Chien-Chien”. After Ming Dynasty they were called “ Tuo-Lo”. In Taiwan, they were called “Kan-Lo”.

1:04 ~ 1:29
Dasi, Taoyuan is the birth place of tops in Taiwan. The camphor wood is the best for making a traditional top because this type of wood is very uniform and easy to find. Coach Wu says: ” There is an old saying, ‘Camphor wood top can run, cypress wood top can roar, and Guava wood top can really bite’—the last one says Guava wood is really hard! “ . It kind of gives the standard choices of woods for making a top.

1:29 ~end
A good top should be symmetric, uniform so it can spin long provided that one throws it with enough strength. Don't you think life is like a spinning top, always keep running.   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:13:13 PM by TML »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »

Thanks Tai-Min, it is very kind of you to relate the translation.  It makes the video even more interesting!  I hope to go to Taiwan someday...

BTW, your english is terrific!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:30:42 AM »

Thanks a lot, Tai-Min!

I was looking at the pictures of the school and it is really hardcore top spinning! It has a great statue of a boy spinning a giant top in front:

One day I want to take myself a picture besides that statue (maybe you can beat me to that, Tai-Min ;) )

I think the freight to import one of those giant tops would be quite expensive. Mmm, could one of us build one? This photo shows an alternative, a giant top made out of a tire:

I love the giant humming top at the end of the video (reminds me a Mexican Charro hat). It is great how the kids spin it in a team effort.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Thanks for the great translation and the great photos.  Yes, that one of the statue of the boy with the top is terrific. 

It's interesting how they are so interested in preserving their tradition and culture by throwing tops.  I wish more groups were interested in that.  There are a couple of asian communities in our area that have had me visit on occasion to help them remember their tradition and culture (which I find quite humorous since I know virtually nothing about their background except top spinning).

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »

thanks Tai Min for sharing that great video! its wonderful to see those kids doing such trick with traditional tops! Wow.