iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Traditional game of Ecuador  (Read 8051 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Traditional game of Ecuador
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:38:31 AM »

In a 1998 Sports Illustrated (swimsuit edition!) a full page is dedicated to describing the sport in Ecuador in which teams push a puck by hitting it with eggplant-sized wooden tops. Here is a video I just found from the competition in the town of Cotacachi, in the north of Ecuador (there seem to be variations between the towns where it is played).

The video talks about pushing the top 9 km. 
The corresponding article, in Spanish, has more details: Desafío del Trompo de Cotacachi.  Also here there is another one. And this is an article in English with several photos: Trompo, a National Competitive Game Played Out on The Streets of Ecuador.

The contest (Spintop Challenge of Cotacachi) starts in the middle of August and ends November 2nd (Day of the Death). It has been going every year since 1995. Every week there are matches along different routes in the town. The winner is the team that gets to the goal with the fewer number of hits ("caves") of the puck ("bola"). The articles mention 10 to 15 teams, each one with 10 players and up to 10 alternates.

It seems most of the competitors in this town buy the top from a certain local craftsman, Alfonso Morán. The competition tops are between 15 and 20 cm (6 to 8 inches) tall and cost 20 to 30 us dollars. The wood is called cerrote ("the only wood sufficiently tough") and one player comments that they typically last 3 or 4 years. The puck is made of wood plated with brass. The stone where the puck is placed (the "tee" of this spintop golf) is called cuyumba.

The organizers recommend the public to observe at a distance and to not park cars along the route  >:D
There is a monument to the top at the entrance of the town, but I have not yet been able to find a photo.

The article in English mentions that in Ecuador "there are city, regional and national tournaments before a triumphant trompo winning team is announced."  I wonder if the similar game in Venezuela that we have discussed before has the same origin or if they developed independently.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:59:04 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Traditional game of Ecuador
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

Ahhh!  This brings back fond memories.  I used to follow Sports Illustrated more than I do now.  And when this issue came out I was stunned to read this top spinning article.  (I loved to take out the swimsuit pictures and lay the magazine in our youth room and watch the boys look through it trying to find the "good" pictures).

I immediately called Don Olney and he said since there was a top spinning article he probably would be allowed to have the swimsuit issue around the house!

Looking back on this article, I can smile and see how some of this influenced our top festival here in Miamisburg.  I sure wish we could get more towns involved (like in Ecuador) but I am thankful that we have been able to keep things going with the fun battles.  In recent news along those lines, one of our vaulters for next has Puerto Rico background and his dad is excited about getting people involved in our event.  I also met someone from a local STEM school (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) throwing a yoyo and he told me they are getting a yoyo club together there.  That should be a hotbed for potential top spinners, too!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

I could teach them a much more efficient way to move that puck around.  :P

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »

A good photo of one of these tops and pucks from flickr

From the description:
The competition size trompo is made from solid hardwood. This one is 8 inches high and weighs nearly a pound and a half. The small wooden "bolo," right, is the part that is knocked flying down the street by the spinning top, often more than a block. The trompo pictured here has since been placed safely in the hands of a 12-year-old aspiring Ecuadorian champion.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:14:33 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »

Good video, thanks!

It was filmed at the 16th inter-school tournament of the county of Cotacachi, one of 3 counties that have this tradition.

It says that there are historic records from the 16th century describing the game. What it is not known is if it was brought by the Spaniards or if it was an indigenous game.

PS: I edited the video link so it starts at the beginning (note to others: if you want a youtube video to start at, say, 65 seconds, you add at the end of the URL the suffix "#t=65").

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »

I just talked with Don Olney.  We were chuckling about this famous SI Edition and he told me he just found three of them!!!

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »

Excelente información