iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: Top Spinning In Cincy  (Read 8775 times)

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
Top Spinning In Cincy
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »

For all who has been reading,  we at Cincinnati were honored again to host Mike Hout.  This time we had a very special surprise and got to meet John Buechele. 

Two great spinners for the price of one morning!

As usual, we take a lot of pictures.  I thought I'd share a few for everyone.

Here's some of us spinning in the usual field (no dumpster viewing).

As you might have seen in an earlier thread, we made a couple of changes to our QS's.  They're shiny!!!  You can even see our cameraman, Tai-Min, in the top.  Unfortunately, Tai-Min did not throw much, but took all of these great photos.

More pictures are coming quickly.
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
Re: Top Spinning In Cincy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

Ok, so those were to get this thread going 'cause I saw some viewers were around.  Here is much more fun.

As Mike has found out, what's a trip to Cincinnati without some big tops!

John quickly dove into the action.  Here's a bit of training.

As we expected, he caught on very quick (much quicker than myself, by several hours).

Mike was in good form right off the bat.

.     .     .

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »

As you all probably expected, in no time they were drawing a bit of a crowd with their daredevil top acrobatics.

And John was not afraid to get the top close to his head.

I noticed quite a crowd watching when John started a routine with one of our medium-sized tops.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

And how often do you get a Spintastic trick awarder come visit you?  So Aaron and I made use of this chance to demonstrate our Top-16 tricks.

and myself

Alls wells ends well.  Mike congratulates us on our advancement.

Well,  overall we all seemed to have a lot of fun today.  Hopefully the rest will add their comments.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:00:42 PM »

Well, I would like to know who make this biggest tops. The yellow and the green ones. And the one that is below this message:

I noticed quite a crowd watching when John started a routine with one of our medium-sized tops.

Are they fixed tip or use they ballbearing? Are plastic or wooden wrought? How much is their weight?
Who is/are who make them?
How much is their price?
If they are ballbearing top, how much is the time of duration, how much time they spin?
Thanks.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »

Well, I would like to know who make this biggest tops. The yellow and the green ones. And the one that is below this message:

Are they fixed tip or use they ballbearing? Are plastic or wooden wrought? How much is their weight?
How much is their price?
If they are ballbearing top, how much is the time of duration, how much time they spin?
Thanks.
I cannot speak about many of the details, but I do know that they are roughly 9 inches (23 cm) in diameter and weigh about 6 pounds (2.75 kg).  All of them are bearing.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »

Fantastic fun! You two look really happy with Twister and Charlie Brown on your hands!  Ohio is becoming more and more an attractive tourist destination for me  :D

Salvador: these tops were made by them, specifically by John, usando el torno de la universidad.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:48:27 PM »

This 56 1/2 year old man has been training pretty diligently for today.  Still, I find myself a bit on the sore side after all the throwing with the big tops!  So far, it feels like a good soreness and not any persistent injuries (although I did have some pain in my right shoulder).  Wow, was it exciting to have a run that included rollercoasters, magnetic wires, apogees, drumbeats, under the legs and a ghost catch with the giant top!!!  Has Figaro had this much fun before?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

physboy2357

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »

It's a wonderful thing when last minute plans come together.  Thanks guys for coming down.  It was great to see you two in action...especially seeing you guys perform the magnetic wire with the big tops. 

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:25:30 PM »

there needs to be a smiley in these forums that shows jealousy. there isn't, so i'll just do this :(

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »

Fantastic fun! You two look really happy with Twister and Charlie Brown on your hands! 

haha, ta0, i like that name for the yellow top! mayb i'll color one of my BK charlie brown style. :)

the medium top looks cool, wish i could get my hands on one. almost impossible to find shops selling tops in singapore (except for ripcords, small wooden ones & maybe the traditional muslim tops called the gasing).

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »

Hemingsoft, is it o.k. if I steel a few of these photos for the video?  I know it's not the actual day: International Top Spinning Day, but it's w/in the the time frame for getting the photos to me, and a few of the shots I got were not even taken w/in a month of the actual day..   These would be a nice addition to the video.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »

Thanks Tai-Min for all the pictures and Bryan for posting.

Mike, good to see you again even if all too briefly, and thanks for the DVD of My Summer Story--good stuff!

John B. great to meet you!  Hopefully next time we'll have more of a chance to talk.

there needs to be a smiley in these forums that shows jealousy. there isn't, so i'll just do this :(

I agree, imagine being just 100 yards from all this fun and not getting to even watch :(

Fantastic fun! You two look really happy with Twister and Charlie Brown on your hands!  Ohio is becoming more and more an attractive tourist destination for me  :D

The green top is the Riddler with the big question mark on it.

How much is their price?
Thanks.

As noted above, these large tops were made here at the University of Cincinnati.  They are all made from glued stacks of plywood.  The largest two are bearing tops, while the smaller one used by John B is fixed tip.
Spin time measurements where again forgoten.

Unfortunately, these tops are not for sale.  From another thread on the board, others larger tops are available from Watts tops, hand made by one of the forum's newer members.
http://www.wattstops.com/

I'm not sure how current the following inventory is but here's a link to some pictures of the available Watt's tops

http://www.wattstops.com/pics/WattsTops.html

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:21:10 AM »

Hemingsoft, is it o.k. if I steel a few of these photos for the video?  I know it's not the actual day: International Top Spinning Day, but it's w/in the the time frame for getting the photos to me, and a few of the shots I got were not even taken w/in a month of the actual day..   These would be a nice addition to the video.

That's not a problem with me.  I guess I don't know if you can simply take them off the forum or if I should send you files.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys at UC. I had a great time throwing tops with you guys, and I really appreciate you letting us play with the big tops. It was lot of fun and I anticipate another trip to cincy is in order. Thanks again guys.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »

I'm glad to here everyone had fun, even if we didn't get to have Chipotle.  It was great fun and I learned a lot that should help out.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »

No need to send files, drag and drop is no problem  ;D

Thanks!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »

I'm thrilled to hear that some Cincy guys will make it in the International Top Spinning day festivities. 

It's another beautiful day here is Southwest Ohio.  I've already received some of the benefits of throwing with others as the comments have helped me figure out some new things.  Thanks, again, UC physics department!

It's great to know I had a good workout yesterday and my body didn't break down from all the heavy throwing.  I was kind of worried!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:21:21 PM by Mike Hout »
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up