iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Keeping a top spinning on the hand (or cheating in duration contests) by Gus  (Read 3294 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Here is a little clip where I asked Gus to show me the technique he developed as a kid to keep the top going, on spin duration contests. Because of this he told me that they started banning moving the hand, until the very end when the top was about to fall.

Using this method he can beat with a snap start somebody doing a boomerang.

I remember daveid once commenting that he thought he could extend somewhat the spin (out of a snap start) by moving his hand.

This is no doubt related to the plate regenerations.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:58:55 PM by ta0 »

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com

Neat.  Would love to have it in English. ???
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!

cool!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

"Spin duration contests when he was a kid." 

Sounds like he has had a "trompo filled" life.  We try to offer things like that around here but have yet to offer a "spin duration contest".  I like the idea!

Good video.  More nice insights, says the Earl, into the life of the King.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

For some reason, I have been thinking about this technique lately.  Gus is quite good with this.  Wasn't there another thread about a boy who kept a top going for a long time doing this?  I can't seem to find it.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram

I need to play around with plate regen... I remember trying it a long time ago and failing... This is out of this world tho...
Spinning is life!!!!

Myk_Myk

• Gold Member

"Because of this he told me that they started banning moving the hand, until the very end when the top was about to fall."

This seems a little wrong headed to me. It appears to take a lot of skill; which to me should be encouraged! It seems like that's more the idea in the similar Koma thread linked to here.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to highlight... Maybe have two different ways to compete? Do they still have those contests in Mexico City?

Anyway, really cool technique!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:33:10 PM by Myk_Myk »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

Do they still have those contests in Mexico City?

Yes, they still have those contests in Mexico and are actually the largest ones.