iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: First wire walker :)  (Read 4065 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
First wire walker :)
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:50 PM »

I did my first wire walker tonight.  I can not repeat it. It seem that the tension is critical. Too tight and the top binds. Also I can not figure out how/when to stop the top. Many of my attempts end with the top passing my hand. Any tips are welcome.

Still happy that I did one
Kirk

Sam

• Gold Member
Re: First wire walker :)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »

Nice, for me if the tension you need to put on the sting is less the faster the top is spinning. I also like to tilt my landing hand slightly down on the pinkie side and when the top hits it I let off the tension and level out my hand. When I was learning this trick I was also learning to balance the top so it was spinning slower which was easier for me to catch earlier on.

Keep it up.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »

Are you walking from dominant hand to non-dominant hand or the other way around? When I started, walking from non to dom was harder than dom to non. One suggestion is to start the trick immediately after the boomerang, start the walk with moderate tension and let off (to slow down the top) as it goes to your landing hand.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:50 PM »

I made a video to demonstrate my point. Sorry for its level of crapitude.

Please excuse my hair.

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »

Ahh nice. It looks like you double wrap the string on the top. I've always single wrapped mine. And from you video I'm putting way too much tension on my string. Thanks that helped a lot.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:17 AM »

try "throwing" the top up with the string after it passes the halfway point.  Raise both hand up and towards each other a little so the tension is reduced and the string lets go of the tip.

You can also try doing it as slow as possible, with as little tension as possible, raising the hand the top leaves slowly and continuously, lowering the target hand as the top approaches.  This doesn't look as good as a straight wire walker but will help you learn the ropes.  Pun intended.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »

Ahh nice. It looks like you double wrap the string on the top. I've always single wrapped mine. And from you video I'm putting way too much tension on my string. Thanks that helped a lot.

I was afraid you would think I doubled it. I was actually correcting a tangle. I only wrap once. Neff's instructions are very good. He is a master teacher.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »

For the observer the positioning of the string at the beginning many times looks like a bind.  I get the same illusion even when I look at my own videos!  ::)

Boots: using your Mercurio?  :o   ;)  Nice wire walker.

topper777

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

I made a video to demonstrate my point. Sorry for its level of crapitude.

Please excuse my hair.

a comb and some water could help your situation up top. lol

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »

Many years ago, Jim  Schreiber told me to give the top a throw as you pull the string for wire walker.  It did help.  Been doing it ever since.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:30:59 PM »

Wow Sirboot so much slack! Thanks guys for the tips.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

After watching the video several times and a bit of practice, my launches are much more consistent and smooth.  The top is leaning toward the direction of travel as it progresses. (Dominant to Non Dominant) Should I be moving the catch hand to correct? Should I start with the top in a particular lean?

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »

Just to get a little bit technical; For World and National competition the rule for Wire Walker says the launch hand can not move until after the top is moving across the string.  The string must start the launch not the hand.  Do what you need to to learn but be aware of what the rules are for the official trick.
Practice hard and play safe.