iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Future contests  (Read 17994 times)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Future contests
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »

Nick Civitello of the KC juggling club is an excellent top spinner.  He wants this event.  Bad.
Good. If he wants it really bad he should join this conversation (I am not sure if he is a member).

I see in another thread where at least Chris (Neff) and Davidid will be in St. Louis next weekend for their juggling festival.  Nick will also be attending, I'm hoping we can all get together and toss some ideas around.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

Wow.  What an honor to be considered for this event.  Sadly, we are about the only stand alone top event around.  I am nervous about moving our event, though.  It has been hard to establish our tradition and to keep it going.  Maybe someone else could have the June event and we could have people freestyle for the Ohio championship or Midwest championship?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 04:24:38 AM »

Nick Civitello of the KC juggling club is an excellent top spinner.  He wants this event. Bad.
 Bad meaning Good,it should be no big deal starting the talks.. ...most "spin factors" have been exposed ..

wait and spin...........................................

8)
jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »

Irrespective of whether we try to pull together a top festival/contest, in Denver, KC, Miamisburg, St. Louis or whereever, I'd still like to see/help keep something going on in Chico.  We had a blast teaching a lot of new kids, including yo-yo players and others and the casual, playful sideshow-workshop atmosphere we've created back int he grassy area suits me fine.  Like boots, I was a little bummed tops got little respect, but in the end, this really didn't take away much for me.  I suppose I don't care much weather we call Chico a national contest or not, but it would be a shame to see tops just vanish from the Chico event.

All said, I would like/try to come to Denver or Flatland---I've wanted to for the last few years.  Hopefully we'll all get the chance to spin together somewhere next year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:46:34 PM by poptop »
Erratic Wobbler

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »

After allot of thought in this issue, I think we should keep the National Spintop contest at Chico with the national yoyo contest.
Next year at our regional contest I want to have lots of fun stuff with tops but, nats should stay in chico. It lends more credibility to what we do.
Also Bob says If we had "pro level" players he would not mind showcasing what we do on the main stage. that means no more than 2 or 3 drops per player and we keep it exciting. thats what happened with off string yo-yo play, once players got good they got to share the main stage.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

Also Bob says If we had "pro level" players he would not mind showcasing what we do on the main stage. that means no more than 2 or 3 drops per player and we keep it exciting. thats what happened with off string yo-yo play, once players got good they got to share the main stage.

While I understand that comment from Bob, the very statement is unaccommodating, just like everything else concerning spin tops at yo-yo Nationals.  I do not support the idea of taking "Spin Top Nationals" away from NYYL, I've just assumed that the event we've been talking about would assume a different name.  But "Spin Top Nationals" is low on my list of events to get to, because it is so ridiculous to travel to, because there is no space to gather before and after the contest, because the spin top events get so little support from the venue... blah, blah, blah

So, in a nutshell I agree, don't take spin top nationals from Chico, but I'm just not going there any more unless things change.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »

For whatever it's worth If we are able to create a stand alone event, I will support it with my participation. Also I would be willing to help raise funds for such an event. As far as location, Denver makes as much sense as any place I suppose. But I know Neff has a lot of good things going on in his area too. I think that while Miamisburg is a great setting,  one of the best parts about it for me as an advanced top spinner is the non competitive nature of the gathering. It's fun to just get together and share ideas. Besides that I know I would lose to JohnM. I think continuing to have the existing side contests at bigger yo-yo/juggling events should continue as it gives us an opportunity to attract other skill toy players. But if it's legitimacy that we are seeking, I think we will have to find it on our own...

P.S. We should call the winner of our event Grand Supreme Master Spinner of The Universe

P.P.S. If that title doesn't make it Legitimate nothing will :P

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »

I am with Neff in that what Bob said is not what we want to hear.

I like the US Spin Top Masters name.  I want a stage that has a backdrop that says so and has our (future) logo.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »

Bob's comments are infuriating. I will comment further later, but suffice it to say that his store will lose my business, my frequent museum cash contributions, and the business of all of the people to whom I previously recommended Bird in Hand. They are dead to me. In fact, all previous champions should request that their priceless performance tops be returned to them. I know Ta0 would like to have his black anodized hollow point back.

I feel like kicking over his giant yoyo and spinning the great bambino the next time I am in Chico.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

Bob's comments are infuriating. I will comment further later, but suffice it to say that his store will lose my business, my frequent museum cash contributions, and the business of all of the people to whom I previously recommended Bird in Hand. They are dead to me. In fact, all previous champions should request that their priceless performance tops be returned to them. I know Ta0 would like to have his black anodized hollow point back.

I feel like kicking over his giant yoyo and spinning the great bambino the next time I am in Chico.

Well, the reality is that Bob has been pretty nice with us given the circumstances.  The yo-yo freestyles have got longer and there is really not enough time for us to freestyle on the main stage, considering that the whole thing has to come down by night time.  And the number of spintop competitors coming to nats have been in decline, to the point that we can barely have freestyles and even the sport ladder.  I love that my top is displayed in the museum and that there is a trophy with plaques for the past spintop champions, plus we are listed every year on the contest program. I guess if there were more of us coming we could do a better job.

I changed my mind about using "Masters" in the name for the new proposed contest, as that may scare players away.  Let's call it US Spintop Open.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

(pssst, hey Boots...let's plan the greatest spintop heist of all time...)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:48:05 PM by poptop »

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »

(pssst, hey Boots...lest plan the greatest spintop heist of all time...)

>:D >:D >:D

So close to the back door.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »

Bob's comments are infuriating take it easy , Justin
the word is a bit too strong....getting on your nerves is bad for your top-pressure ;D and after all it's only Jon's interpretation of Bob's talk that we have here

the drop factor : to me , even if this remark in this context , may have hurt some of us ,there is a part of common sense
when you're on stage for a paid gig , you don't drop : full stop
why should we be allowed to miss so much in a competition, because we are amateurs (not prepared to face an audience),because taking risks get higher scores, what ?

that's another topic , starting ... 8)

jim

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »

Having met him several times, I know that he looks down on top players. I can picture him saying it. Sorry, but I think I am in fury. Now, off to coach my rugby team. They'd better have a good practice or else I might have to show them some of my tackling skills. That might un-infuriate me.   >:D >:D >:D

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

OK, not to defend Bob because he does not need it.  He is running THE NATIONAL YO-YO CONTEST.  He is interested in choosing the 5 National Yo-Yo Champions and anything that makes the contest entertaining.  Think of how many players there were in all 5 divisions and the time required to put them all on the big stage for 3 minutes.  Just like Worlds, as the sport grew the stage time became an issue and required ways to limit the number of players for the larger divisions.  Nationals is a one day contest because the players are in school.  So a little perspective, I was not there so please tell me - Did Diabolo have a stage and sound system?  Did Diabolo have any time on the big stage?  Was it entertaining?  Jim is correct, is our top contest as entertaining as it should be?  Do the players do a clean performance?  i.e. no drops?  Yes, yo-yo players knot strings and change yo-yos, but if so do they usually win?  Spin Top play, in my mind, is where yo-yo play was in the late 1990's.  We can grow it as large as we want but it takes time, more players, more interest, and leadership that comes from the manufacturers as well as within the players.  It seems like other countries manufacturers are out there pushing and the US companies are waiting for the first fad to jump in.  Hope this starts more discussion.
Practice hard and play safe.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up