iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Worlds 2012  (Read 27225 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: From Worlds!!!
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »

I am still fuming about Duncan not recording the freestyles.  They posted what, 95 yo-yo freestyles, including semi-finals, and could not even post the first three spintops? Even if their guy, who appears in some of the packages, got 3rd?  Why do they even bother to sell tops?  >:(

At least Kyo was taking photos of the freestyles and we should have good ones.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »

Apparently good news: Antonio Cortes tells me that he recorded Carlos freestyle with his phone.  He promised to send me the video.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »

It is unfortunate that the spintop community is not as popular as the yo-yo community, but it is understandable that spintops do not receive the same level of support as yo-yos. I mean, it is the World YO-YO Contest. But, it is borderline criminal that the freestyles were not recorded. I know, if I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem, but if I could afford an HD video camera then I could afford to go to Worlds to record it. If only someone was there with a video camera already that could have put it up on the platform and pressed record (and walked away)...by now I guess you can tell I'm being sarcastic. You're right, Jorge: if you bother to sell tops at least act like you care. I can only hope that I get to see Carlos' freestyle; I'm sure it was amazing.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »

My wife has a shaky hand held video of my performance but I haven't watched it yet.  Maybe I will never watch it.  I already have more good memories than I ever dreamed from it.  I wish she would have gotten Carlos or poptop or Mark Hayward instead.  I don't want to sound ungrateful.....but those three were doing some nice things I would love to see again.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »

I just heard back from Brandon, and he said that Duncan didn't record the top freestyles.
Wow.  That's...  my lip hurts.

kevinm

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »

I am still fuming about Duncan not recording the freestyles.  They posted what, 95 yo-yo freestyles, including semi-finals, and could not even post the first three spintops? Even if their guy, who appears in some of the packages, got 3rd?  Why do they even bother to sell tops?  >:(

Well, maybe it will come to pass that Duncan doesn't bother to sell tops one day.
If that ever does become the case, who will be in charge of recording the spin top freestyles then?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »

Well, maybe it will come to pass that Duncan doesn't bother to sell tops one day.
If that ever does become the case, who will be in charge of recording the spin top freestyles then?

The only reason we do not have recordings is that Duncan gave us a false sense of security.  It will not happen again.  I don't care if Duncan records or not the freestyles in the future.

The truth is, there were no Duncan tops in the freestyles, except for the fakes ones that Mark used, which were more Eric's tops than Duncan.

kevinm

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »

If someone from Duncan told you they were going to video the freestyles and then didn't do it, to me that seems more like an individuals failure than a corporate meltdown that would warrent not making spin tops.
It sounds like Duncan have gone from dropping the ball in the video department to being incapable of producing tops that their own pros can use.
There is no question that you (Ta0) contribute much more than your fair share to the
spin top community, and I thank you for that. I am not trying to be negative or disrespectful, I just feel that other people and companies that contribute should get credit too.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

To be fair, while I did rely heavily on modified Bearing Kings by Eric, I did use a few unmodified ones as well. Plus, the most exciting part of my whole routine was that I did that great opening sequence with a prototype of the new aluminum Bearing King. The whole reason I used it, despite having tried it for the first time that weekend, is that it works so incredibly well. They say that they're going to put them into production too. I'll have it with me in Miamisburg today if anyone wants to try it.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »

Kevin has got to be the most loyal Duncan fan I have ever met.  Criticisms of Duncan go strait to his heart.  The awesome thing about Kevin is he can comment without spraying emotion everywhere.   Criticism of Duncan sting me too, the spirit of Duncan is something I revere also.  Which is what makes it so frustrating when expectations are not met.  In essence, we would't be mad if we did't love "Duncan."  Example: I have very high expectations of my son.  Not so much for the other kid up the street.

I bet Takeshi has already tried, but if Mike and Brandon were bit by the spin top bug themselves, we might see a change...

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »

Kevin has got to be the most loyal Duncan fan I have ever met.  Criticisms of Duncan go strait to his heart.  The awesome thing about Kevin is he can comment without spraying emotion everywhere.   Criticism of Duncan sting me too, the spirit of Duncan is something I revere also.  Which is what makes it so frustrating when expectations are not met.  In essence, we would't be mad if we did't love "Duncan."  Example: I have very high expectations of my son.  Not so much for the other kid up the street.

I bet Takeshi has already tried, but if Mike and Brandon were bit by the spin top bug themselves, we might see a change...

The current Duncan, as far as I can tell, is not the Duncan we grew up loving. In fact, is there even a Duncan involved anymore? What I am trying to say is that current Duncan is just another company trying to maximize ROI. The Duncan of yore was a company that cared about bringing joy to people. Do you think Mr. Duncan would have continued to sell tops, for years, if he knew the strings were too short?

I am not criticizing the name or the feats of the past, I am criticizing the people who are at the helm now.

I have gotten no response to several polite emails written to the company regarding the short strings. I would rather they not sell tops at all than continue to sell tops that will only frustrate beginners and cause them to give up.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2012, 10:32:22 PM »

The short string thing is very frustrating. I used to give people a proper length string when I sold a top, but I ran out of string (and can't get more from Duncan) so I had to stop doing that. I don't know what the issue is, but we have talked about it as a team, and it is supposed to be fixed. I thought that it was going to be fixed when the Rip Cords with my picture on them came out, but alas, no. To make it worse, they make all their products in such large batches that it will probably be quite a while before they even have the opportunity to fix the short string problem. Let's just hope they actually do it when they have the chance next time.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »

The current Duncan, as far as I can tell, is not the Duncan we grew up loving.
Yo Yo Duncan does not equal Spin Top Duncan.  It is erroneous to Judge an entity on one act versus the whole. 

BTW, Donald F. Duncan invented the parking meter. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:59:47 PM by Neff »

kevinm

« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »

Before you all ask, I'll just come out and say it,
yes, I love parking meters too.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »

I have seen Duncan branded parking meters on Ebay but I did not know they were related, much less that Donald Duncan had invented them.

It should be noted that in 2009 Felix Avellana (Duncan crew member) competed at worlds with the first prototype of the aluminum Bearing King, included one-way bearing.

Kyo: we are eager to see those freestyle photos!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up