iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2009 Ultimate Battletop Championship of the Universe!  (Read 7867 times)

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
Re: 2009 Ultimate Battletop Championship of the Universe!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »

Somebody had asked for a comparison of the new battletop design and the old battletop design.
I finally got around to taking a picture. Here is a side by side comparison.
I much prefer the new style. It even works well for performing tricks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:28:28 PM by Spinningray »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »

Because of my skill-toy coma, I don't know which one is the old one?  Is the tip a pop-rivit?

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »

the newer one is on the right. It is a good top, even for tricks
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »

The tip is indeed a pop rivet. The ones in the picture are aluminum. The ones I made for Nationals last year had sharpened stainless steel tips. I had a few tips left over and changed out some of them for a few people at Nationals this year. The sharp tips don't work so well for throwing boomerangs to your hand. The idea was that they would do more damage to the target top.
The crown is sized to accept a bottle cap. It helps to identify your top and also helps protect the crown from being split. A good hit will knock the cap off which will get you points.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »

I like them both.  The old style reminds me of a warrior with helmet and midevil full body armour--just what is needed for battle.  Maybe the new sleek one has modern 'under-armour'.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »

The tip is indeed a pop rivet. The ones in the picture are aluminum. The ones I made for Nationals last year had sharpened stainless steel tips. I had a few tips left over and changed out some of them for a few people at Nationals this year. The sharp tips don't work so well for throwing boomerangs to your hand. The idea was that they would do more damage to the target top.
The crown is sized to accept a bottle cap. It helps to identify your top and also helps protect the crown from being split. A good hit will knock the cap off which will get you points.

Do they throw well overhand?  I've found that the more slender the design, as in the old 1950's tops, the better they are for a downward throw.  The newer design looks more like a top that would do better for sidearm throw and tricks.  I throw my 1950's wooden tops almost directly at the floor, enough to make them bounce about 6 inches high, but I can't do that with a wider, squatter top.