iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: new at spinning tops...can't boomerang my wood top  (Read 4132 times)

travis1121

new at spinning tops...can't boomerang my wood top
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »

Okay, I'm having a problem doing the boomerang trick with my wood top but i can do it fine with my duncan imperial top. I'm using the same string for both the tops...Is there a problem with the string ? should it be longer or what? and sorry if i didnt post this in the right spot! :D thanks!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: new at spinning tops...can't boomerang my wood top
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »

Welcome to the sport and the forum! Yes, you posted in the right place!

The length of the string would depend on the size of the top, of course. If the wood top is about the same size of the Imperial you need a somewhat longer string. On my BC tops I use a 69 in (175 cm) standard gauge string.

The main difference in throwing them is that with a wood (solid) top you have to pull back harder than with a plastic (hollow) top. The reason is that a solid top will have a higher ratio of forward momentum to rotational inertial.

Having said that, be aware that a few weird wooden tops can be tricky to boomerang!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:42:10 AM by ta0 »

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »

I have found that I must start with the tip of a wooden top pointed to the side rather than straight up. Play with the starting position to get the top to get it to come back vertical to your hand. Start at 45 degrees to vertical.
I have to throw my big tops with the axle horizontal rather than vertical like I would with a hollow plastic top.

travis1121

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »

Thanks guys! I will try it out. btw i got the wood top from Fred Meyer and it came with a string that was made of a weird material...

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »

Long of the string is the answer.

I spent a lot of time adapting a Spintastics Sidewinder string to the macice wood Baldufa -Catalonian tipical wood top-

I gave it the exact longitude for a perfect consistent boomerang.

You can see the succes.

[youtube]EfzeumVzPcs[/youtube]

Note:

After post this video I learn to raise the bit rate to 1024 Kbps while I compress the video to hang in the web. (eliminate pixelating).
And I add 4 seconds of adjust chart previous to the image to prevent the You-Tube-Recompression-artefacts.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Byron Watts

• Byron Watts
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 05:44:10 PM »

One thing I discovered is that when I spin a heavier top, I must begin to pull back on the string much earlier than a lighter spinning top. 

One advantage of a longer string is that you have more time that you can pull on the string.

If I have been spinning a Duncan Imperial or Monarc top and then switch to a wood top of the same size, I almost always forget and end up dropping the wood top on the floor because the timing is significantly different (when using the same string).

BTW
Spinning Tops