iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: whistle museum///  (Read 3304 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: whistle museum///
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »

A whistle museum!?!  Very clever.  That is one way to make you want to throw tops.  Otherwise you will not hear the great sounds!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

The corporate entity that "owned" The Toycrafter was Whistle Enterprises.  We made lots of whistles too, but never a whistling top for sale.  Some prototypes, but never a production version.  When I incorporated in 1975 or so, New York State would not allow me to use the corporate name "The Toycrafter" (no explanation given).  Whistle Enterprises was the first name on the third list of three names each that I submitted.  I don't remember the other names on the three lists.  Oddly, when I sold The Toycrafter to Bruce Hawkes 30 years later, he was able to incorporate as "The Toycrafter".  I was mildly annoyed - not that Bruce could incorporate under that name, but that they had denied me the use of the name.  "The Toycrafter" was a DBA of Whistle Enterprises.  I sold "The Toycrafter", but still have the Whistle Enterprises entity.  More useless information for your collection!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »

Thanks for the link Jim.  Lots of info and photos.  I learned that: "Matching the correct size of pea to the size of whistle is critical to good performance. A pea of the correct size & weight should travel at 800 metres per hour inside the sound chamber to create the perfect trill. Too slow and the sound is notchy or lumpy, too fast and it is tizzy." I did not know that! :-[  It may be useful for designing a top for your chanting - humming top contest.  :D  Amazingly, the name of the quoted chairman of Acme Whistles is Simon Topman! This would close the circle with The Toycrafter story by Top Hat himself.