iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with Big Scoop  (Read 3058 times)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
Help with Big Scoop
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »

I'm having a problem doing a simple "scoop" with a modern plastic top.  When I was younger it was fairly simple with the long, nail like point on a wooden top.  I was able to shove the web of my two fingers against it and the top just hopped on.  The new (well, at least new to me) type tips are shorter and wider and the tops are bit fatter near the tip so my fingers keep touching the body and slowing the top down.  My technique for the scoop with a modern top is obviouly wrong and I can't figure out why.

Ed

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Re: Help with Big Scoop
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »

On a smooth surface you should be still be able to use the shove and scoop method that you are speaking of.  Try opening the web of your fingers wider and shoving faster.  Another method using the same two fingers is to begin the trick just as the shove and scoop method but when the top nears the web of your fingers, curl only your index finger up (as if calling someone to you) to push the top into the palm of your hand. With a bearing top you can kind of cheat by using both of your fingers to pop the top into the air just a tad and then quickly move you hand under the top.  Don't forget to keep your hand nice and flat, palm completly open, once the top is in your hand. 
Good luck, and have fun!

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »

With a bearing top you can kind of cheat by using both of your fingers to pop the top into the air just a tad and then quickly move you hand under the top. Good luck, and have fun!

Catherine (it is Catherine, right?)

Thanks for the help.

Using my new Blizzard I still can't get my hand close enough to the tip to hit the web of my hand, *but* I tried the two finger tap method and I managed to get it up on my hand a couple of times, so it's just gonna mean some practice now to get it every time.   (-:

Ed

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »

Great news!

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 02:12:38 AM »