iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trick Question/Advice  (Read 3497 times)

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Trick Question/Advice
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »

I can land Trapeze on the string no problem.   My problem is when I try to return the Spintop to my hand.  For Example:  I throw and catch "Trapeze" and the Spintop's Tip is in a Horizontal plane on the string. When I try and return the Spintop to my hand the Spintop's Tip will start to point in a Vertical Plane (upward) and will eventually fall off the string.  I have tried to do small "Merry Go Round" circles and a Side to Side string swinging motion in an effort to make the Spintop's Tip point downward.
I have read "Wantaan" post and watched "Peach Soda Video" however I still can't figure out how to make my SpinTop's Tip point in a downward direction so I can land the Trick in my hand.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Trick Question/Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »

Swinging your throwhand from left to right as you pop the top back to your hand should do it?

For practice, you might try hanging a bearing top from a string and moving it arround; observe how the motions effect a change in tip angle/axis of rotation. 

Good luck!
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »

I can't agree more with poptop.  If you have any kind of bearing top (the bigger the better) then break it out and spend some time playing with it.  I learned so much about the movement of tops by fooling around with my trompo bearing.  The movement of a whirling top is really quite an unusual thing.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »

Remember that everything regarding a spintop is the opposite of what you would expect. ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

The are two methods of doing this.

Big swing method: pull the top in the direction the tip is pointing so it swings in a vertical plane.  By "magic" it will stand up, so you can pull it towards you and land it on your hand.

Small circle method: speed up the precession by moving the string in front of the top in a small circle. It will stand up and you can pull it up to your hand.

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »

Thanks for all the advice and response, I will work on this trick and try not to over think the solution.

Thanks

Mike

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »

Big swing method: pull the top in the direction the tip is pointing so it swings in a vertical plane.  By "magic" it will stand up, so you can pull it towards you and land it on your hand.
I like this tactic the best.