iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some items in the Top Spinning Hall of Fame  (Read 6862 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Some items in the Top Spinning Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 12:39:17 AM »

I have set a trap.

don't be too hard on him ! :-[ :-[ :-[

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »

I am giving him a sporting chance.  So far, he is winning.  Even if he loses he will survive because I am using a live trap.  Some ideas from the internet include: hang sweaty clothes, play loud music and leave the lights on.  I would not mind him so much if he spun tops but he simply knocks things over with no respect to our spinning world!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »

Some ideas from the internet include: hang sweaty clothes, play loud music and leave the lights on.

Ah, so that's why you never find squirrels in your teenage son's room!
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »

We had a squirrel fall down the chimney in my kids bedroom many years ago.  I grabbed a broom, closed myself and the squirrel in the room, opened all three windows (in was winter with snow on the ground), and chased the little beggar around the room with the broom until it jumped out a window.  Not sure who was more relieved it was over, me or the squirrel.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »

Yes, that chasing around method has worked for me with birds, bats, snakes and rabbits but not raccoons or squirrels.  When we bought this house we had no idea it would have all the wildlife it has attracted.  I have become a bit of an expert with raccoons and have trapped over a dozen here.  In my old house a squirrel would not leave the garage and when it did it would eventually come back.  I am trying to remember how that ended.  I think the poor thing finally gave up.  Also, I once had a squirrel in the basement laying on a pile of dirty towels.  I had a stick and trash can ready to trap it but when I touched it, the squirrel was dead.  That is still a mystery to me.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 06:08:18 PM »

Good news for the HOF but bad news for a certain little critter.  He finally went for the peanut butter and earned himself a free ride to the neighboring town.  He seemed very happy to get out of that cage and scampered merrily down the river bank to the row of trees.  I have not assessed all the damage but he sure chewed the wood around the window pane.  I think he wanted out of there pretty badly.  Maybe there was no bad news for the squirrel after all?

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »

What a way to start the story Mike!   :o lol

Glad to hear the Hall has experienced minimal damage (it seems)!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 10:19:03 PM »

The Hall of Fame was open recently for a visit from my youngest son Joe along with his wife and two girls.  They are 6 and 8 and it was interesting to see what attracted them and what didn’t.  I tried to learn from them.  They did enjoy the “hands on” aspect of the hall.  Musical tops seemed to be a favorite.  They did not get into the skittle tops as much as my grand boys but they were fascinated with the tops that start with the thumb push contraption.  A lot of tops were a little too high for them to see.  I will have to keep developing the lower level so they can enjoy more of the spinning.  And, surprise surprise, they really got into signing the guest book!!!