iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: QUICKSILVER WARNING!!  (Read 4343 times)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
QUICKSILVER WARNING!!
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:54:26 AM »

To all of you who have recently acquired a QS, or to those of you who already have one:

Quicksilver's have very sensitive threads and because of this the two halves can become stuck or fused together.

Be very careful when unscrewing or re-screwing your QS cap.  Go slow and make sure the threads are fully aligned.

If the threads become stuck, work the two haves back and forth slowly and use some WW40 if needed.  It may become necessary to go over old threads and create new ones as you take the top apart. 

Two damaged open halves are workable because you can rethread the two halves or file them down and then tape the top together.

The worst case scenario is having a QS with a (bearing tip) fused shut and then have the bearing come loose inside the top.   You don't want this to happen, so take care and be gentle with these fabulous, yet sensitive tops.

Jeromy K.

Re: QUICKSILVER WARNING!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »

Also if you want you can put a little grease or Vaseline on the threads before you thread them together that will help them not to fuse. Then you wont run in to the problem i did.  :'(

killswitch

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »

so the previous models were designed better?  ::)

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »

I haven't had many problems, but I do work with threaded equipment on a regular basis.  Just be careful and get the first one going right.
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the second generation of QS (the one that says on the crown "Quick Silver, Made in China") has a much longer thread that the first generation; probably an overkill. However, the one that froze on me was a first gen.

physboy2357

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »

Thanks for the warning!!  You mentioned taping it shut.  For my trompos, the tape doesn't last very long...especially when working on tricks from a trapeze.  Is there something better than electrical tape?

killswitch

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »

you can maybe seal of the crown with silicone, but the you have to put same amount on both sides so it wont wobble. the electrical tape i believe is most consistent. but i want to use silicone because of holding that oring on place.

physboy2357

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »

I think that would work for the fixed tip, but what about the bearing tops??? Is it easy enough to remove?

killswitch

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »

i have both, and i have changed those crowns on them and they fit the same on both