iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking back at Miamisburg 2011  (Read 4210 times)

WaxyAxle

Looking back at Miamisburg 2011
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »

So I know that I am a little slow on this but i guess better late than never to share.  Also, bear with me while I learn to post photos.  I went to the Whirled Top Festival this year in Miamisburg.  Every year I have wanted to go but something has always prevented it fom happening.  This year nothing could stop my daughter and me from going.  We got there a bit early and couldn't find any top spinners but we knew we found the right place.

WaxyAxle

Re: Looking back at Miamisburg 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »

Then out of nowhere, the cavalry arrived.  First Mike followed by the Cincinnati guys, and then an army of kids with tops.

WaxyAxle

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »

Before thing got underway, the Mayor of Miamisburg popped in to declare Mike Hout Day in the city.  I don't know if Mike knew if that was coming or not but he seemed pretty humbled by it.  Then the mayor proceeded to amaze himself by actually getting a spinner!

WaxyAxle

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:46 PM »

After that it was down to business and these kids were no joke.  It was amazing how serious they were about spinning. 

WaxyAxle

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »

After an intense battle, my daughters team, The Huricanes, took third place.  SCORE!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »

Great pics!!!  Thanks for sharing them.  Thanks, also, for the comments along the way.  Every year is fun but this year was especially neat and a big surprise in many more ways than normal.

The mayor always cracks me up at these things.  He acts like he has never done it before but you know what?  He has been to every one of our festivals and he throws a spinner every year!  This is our twelfth one so he has been at it for a bit......although he probably doesn't practice much in between festivals.  Still, he is such a good sport about it and hangs in there until he gets a spinner.  That sometimes took a bit in the first few years, even with Don Olney and Dale Oliver helping him.  Now he usually gets it in the first couple of attemps.

Thanks WaxyAxle.  I appreciate the memories.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »

Nice photos, thanks for posting them up.  It's cool to see the kids (and the Mayor) light up with top spinning excitement.
Erratic Wobbler

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »

Nice pics.

We got there a bit early and couldn't find any top spinners but we knew we found the right place.

Sorry about that.  We should have made it clear in the advertising posts that before the contest we gather outside of Mike church, just up the street a block or so from the contest where there is easy parking and a great grassy area.  Generally, you can't miss it on the drive in, but the detour routed drivers around us.

I like the picture demonstrating the two hand NeGCOPT* approved top transport technique used on Nimbus while walking over hard surfaces like concrete. ;D 

*NeGCOPT = Nervous Guys Carrying Other People's Tops

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »

Thanks for the photos WaxyAxle.
Terrific shots, I really like that last one, love the excitement you captured!

WaxyAxle

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »

It was a good time but unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the things that were most exciting for me.  Not a shot of me finally getting a boomerang on Autograph or of topland/hall of fame.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »

Topland was slow going this year.  You didn't need any pictures of that or the Hall of Fame.  Next year we will try for a bigger night back at my house.

You did get a good picture of your daughter and her excitement from the night.  She really adds a lot with her comments and laughter.  It was a thrill to see her throw and enjoy the fun of the night.  That last picture in the series with her holding some of her prizes captures some of her exuberance!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »

I like the picture demonstrating the two hand NeGCOPT* approved top transport technique used on Nimbus while walking over hard surfaces like concrete. ;D 
*NeGCOPT = Nervous Guys Carrying Other People's Tops
Ha!  I was just as nervous when I threw Autograph  ;D