iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wrong-way corkscrews!  (Read 3530 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Wrong-way corkscrews!
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »

Lao Alovus.... I saw its corkscrew thousands of times until I discover he was doing a left corkscrew not right corkscrew. Video in the topspinning web page.

Well, Pulp, I probably only saw it a few tens of times, but I never realized Lao was doing the corkscrew clockwise, against the precession!!!  :o When I read the quote I made a mental note to check the video to see what you really meant, but I hadn't yet when I saw your video with the Italian prototype.

I don't recall how I learned corkscrew, but I am guessing I just assumed I had to go counterclockwise. Doing "wrong-way" MGRs is pretty difficult, so it never occurred to me to try the "wrong-way" corkscrew! I am using "wrong-way" in the traffic sense (contra mano), but of course if you can do it by definition it is a right way.

This confirms there are always surprises even in the things we believe we are experts (i.e., corkscrew)  :-[

RunBMC

Re: Wrong-way corkscrews!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »

i didnt know left handed corkscrews were clock wise!i do them counter clock wise!i will now try it clock wise.
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »

Left corkscrew. (The top get out the hand by the left side and turn clockwise is more challenging than the right one.

Only expert players can appreciate its dificulty. And only works with bearing top.

With fixed tip it is imposible.... isn't true Salvador, Gustavo? :)
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

RunBMC

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »

oh, i thought they meant thats the way for left handed people, i left one is WAY more challengeing

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »

So, are you left handed? If you are, you have to do everything mirror-like with respect to a right-handed player. Not only your body is mirrored, but the spin of the top will also be reversed.  By the way, Greg's video site had a great feature where there was a button that swapped left and right so you could transform a right-handed player into a virtual lefty and vice versa. I will try to implement that in the future.

For corkscrew, if you are right handed (and wrapped and threw the usual way) the spin and the precession are both counterclockwise. You normally want the top to swing around the arm in the same direction as the precession, so you wrap the string counterclockwise around the right arm. By doing so you can get the top to lean at a constant angle with respect to the arm and do a smooth corkscrew. If you are left handed you would do a clockwise wrap around the left arm. The difficulty for both types of players is, of course, the same.

Note that somebody could do a corkscrew around the non-throwing arm. This will not change the sense of precession or the direction of the wrap (but the top will start by going towards the center of the body instead of going towards the outside).

Pulp breaks this rule on the second corkscrew. He has a top spinning counter-clockwise but makes it turn clockwise around the arm. This is much more difficult than the normal one as the top will try to lean in different directions (with respect to the arm) while doing a revolution. Unless . . .  you can keep it very straight.

Did Lao invent (in the US) the trick doing it in the wrong direction? Wow!

I practiced yesterday and today and could finally do a few clean wrong-way corkscrews, even a couple of 4 wraps.  It helped that a long time ago I had practiced "wrong-way" MGRs. But it was not easy, even using a throwback (that Italian top must be really good.)

Mmm, we need another name for doing a trick in the reverse direction. There is already a trick named reversible corkscrew. Perhaps "counter-corkscrew" ?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:43:14 PM by ta0 »

RunBMC

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

well, then i guess its not spinning fast enough when i do it.even when i do 1 revolution it messes up half way!but if it is spinning fast enogh, the only thing i could think it is is that the revolutions are to far apart ot to close together.

RunBMC

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »

wait im confused. wen ever i do my normal corckscrew(which dosnt ever work)it comes from the left of my hand.