iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whirled Festival of Top 2011  (Read 13061 times)

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Whirled Festival of Top 2011
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »

WOW!!!!!!  What a weekend.  It started with the earthquake here in the DC area.  No damage unless you count 25 to 30 yo-yos & tops off of the shelves and all over the floor, not bad for a 5.8.  And ended arriving Sunday afternoon to house and home with no damage from Irene.  A lot accomplished with Family and friends but the best was Mike's day in Miamisburg.  We did in fact surprise him, he had no idea I was coming until I drove into the Church parking lot.  What a terrific day, this year I did not bring the rain like the last time I made it to the contest.  Learning and teaching were the best parts of the day.  The kids really got into the battles and the parents also had a great time.  Mike I wound up with 21 of the gold coins, which should prove that 3 yo-yos are worth more than gold. :-)  So glad that I could get there and join the fun, thanks for a great time. 

The visit to Univ of Cincy was also a high lite of the trip.  In addition to seeing John's and Brian's part of UC that adds so much to this community I got to see the classrooms that I used from 57 to 63.  What a hoot!  The top that John presented me from the Lab is very special to me, thanks. 

John B, I know that many people had a lot to do with helping Mike make this a great event but none more that you. THANKS!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:31:15 AM by Dick Stohr »
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 02:25:53 PM »

It has been hectic these past couple of days but now the September church newsletter is done and I have some time off today to breathe.  I am also able to get around better.  My legs were really really sore on Sunday and Monday.  I guess that is from all the bending over to judge the top battles and to pick them up!

As I put away the nine (I use to have twenty) plastic top spinning arenas (others might call them sleds) I noticed one after another was really broken in.  Some of these have gotten very little use over the years but this year all of them were well marked from top action.  It looks to me like there was a LOT more throwing going on in between battles.  What a great sign!

We finished much earlier with the battles this year.  I think this means the kids knew more about what to do and were also scoring quicker.  This is another great sign!

And even when the battles were over people were staying and throwing more and more.  One of the boys who won could be seen throwing his gold top time and time again in different arenas.

As the competition progressed the youth throwers were becoming better and better...at a much quicker rate than other years.  I later heard how a number of adults (go Dick, John and Cincy crew) were giving tips and helping the kids with their throws.

In church the next day one of the boys was seen putting a number of his gold coins in the offering plate!

Several new adults are asking to help next year.  I did less calling this year so it seems like the phone tree and word of mouth are working better.  And now with all those spintastics instructional dvds out there I have lots of hope for the future of this event.  Many thanks to the many who made this top spinning time so special.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »

It sounds like kids and parents really enjoyed the festival.
Are there pictures???

And now with all those spintastics instructional dvds out there I have lots of hope for the future of this event.
That was the goal of the INEPTT committee. We could not bring any Mexican player to Worlds and Neff is not going to Europe until next year, so we wanted to at least start using a little of the money to promote tops. I just hope the kids watch the spintop part and don't get hooked on the yo-yo section of the dvd's. . . ::) 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »

Many thanks to the INEPTT committee for their generous donation and their wonderful foresight.  I will keep you posted on the progress.

RunBMC

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »

I cant believe i missed it!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »

I cant believe i missed it!
I was wondering why you did not go. That is a shame.

RunBMC

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »

I was extremely caught up in school. Sadly i have not spinning any tops for a while, either. I completely blame Call of Duty for this!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »

Your new call of duty is to throw more tops and spend more time with us on this forum!

We missed you at the fest.  Maybe you can make it next year.  Remember, the fourth Saturday in August.

Actually, I can tell you right now when it will be.........August 25th.  Please mark your calendar!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 12:31:17 AM »

YES!  YES!!  YES!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

I see the photos and videos from the Festival have been posted on the Miamisburg Site!!!!

http://www.miamisburg.org/tops.htm

Looks like I'll be up late tonight!  8)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:34:00 AM by Larry D. »

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »

Great pictures and videos - Can't wait till I can get there again!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »

I see the photos and videos from the Festival have been posted on the Miamisburg Site!!!!

Thanks go out to Jay who worked hard to preserve the memories for us.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »

Hemingsoft really makes it fly!:

Hey, WaxyAxle, is that your girl hanging around with the advance players:

And it seems that Nimbus got some love:

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »

The other girl is holding colorwood by Eric that I won in the raffle.