iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: top spinning at lutheran memorial camp  (Read 6922 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
top spinning at lutheran memorial camp
« on: June 29, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »

John Buechele and I are spending some time at camp this week and we are experimenting with different things to see what motivates the kids to spin.

I got out my sled and my finger spinner tops from India.  It seemed like an easy start before we got out the peg tops with the strings.  I was stunned at the interest!  Kids were gathering around and begging to try them again and again.  My forearm is sore from spinning with them for nearly two hours.

I need to get some more finger spinners!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: top spinning at lutheran memorial camp
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »

Check your mail towards the latter part of next week Mike  ;)

Thanks to our Forum Member Jenicks, who got them into my hands.  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:05:32 PM by Larry D. »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »

Finger tops should be a great lead in to peg tops to help sort out the truly interested.

I need to get some more finger spinners!

Smilemakers has a fair selection of bulk finger spinners for reasonable prices.  The options change from time to time.
Smilemakers link = http://www.smilemakers.com/shop-by-product/toys/tops.html
This style is $18.00 for 144 pieces or about 15 cents each.  Not to bad for a give-away, probably not a great top but something to perhaps extend the memory after camp is over.

This reminds of the great Spinning top circus video

EDIT #1: ta0 in the preview the video is displayed and the link is displayed plus the explicit link but in the post the video doesn't show.  I know Mark M properly linked videos after the upgrade so there may be a clue in his post as to what I may be doing wrong.
EDIT #2:  It is working now!  Thanks ta0 for all your efforts to not only keep the board alive but to optimize it for our convenience and enjoyment.
link =

the video comments suggested that the bowl is available at IKEA.  Our lecture demonstation guy bought one of each size (12" and 18" diameters) and they are great for finger spinners.  At under $10 these are a great way to add tops to the home decor. ;)
Unfortunately they are not available by on-line order, in-store only purchases.
IKEA bowls link = http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40065160#/30025136/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:07:10 AM by johnm »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

I was in a "dollar store" yesterday and saw a pack of 6 for $1.00 in the party section.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »

We moved from finger spinners to peg tops and string.  The kids seem pumped.  The younger ones can't keep their fingers off them......literally!  It is nice to be able to start with finger spinners and go from there.  We have some people interested in making some simple ones.  I like the patterns ta0 posted.  Seems like we should be able to do something with that.

Tomorrow is our last day.  We will finish with a big flourish but I will miss being around John and his counselor friends.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »

[Admin Note: I split the sub-thread about the cardboard tops from LEAFpdx and moved it to the collectors board]

Yes, master silvertop, I was with you all the way to the end!  I just never thought finger spinners would interest people who already were good with peg tops.  I didn't think there was enough there to keep advanced spinners interested.  But I watched crowds of people gather and want a turn including Mr. Buechele himself.  I think some of the interest was because we were using tops from India and "a guy wants to spin 500 in five minutes and how many could you spin in one minute."  Anyway, it was something good to learn!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:47:17 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »

Thanks for the IKEA tip, johnm.  I took the plunge and went on an adventure through that store.  Wow, they sure have a LOT of stuff in there.  Of course, the bowls I was looking for were at the very end of a long and winding road through their store!  It was worth the walk, though.  As johnm showed me today, even rolling marbles in this bowl is quite fun.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »

Thanks for the IKEA tip, johnm.  I took the plunge and went on an adventure through that store.  Wow, they sure have a LOT of stuff in there.  Of course, the bowls I was looking for were at the very end of a long and winding road through their store!  It was worth the walk, though.  As johnm showed me today, even rolling marbles in this bowl is quite fun.

I'm glad your quest was completed--I hope the store was air conditioned today (humid and 90+ F, bad for northerners).

Even the sound of tops or marbles is satisfying in these bowls.  I've easily lost a couple hours trying different things in them while half thinking about other stuff (including other stuff to spin in the bowl ;D)