iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mikefest at UC was super  (Read 19488 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Mikefest at UC was super
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »

Mike just left the university, after some great spinning, spin chatting and all around great fun.  ;D
Bryan will hopefully be following up with pics later today.

My general advise is don't pass up an opportunity to hang out with Mike!  He's a great guy and a lot of fun to be around.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
Re: Mikefest at UC was super
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »

Well, John said he I was posting pix so here are some.

A group of spin fans and players here at the University of Cincinnati.

John and Mike behind our cart of tops.

Aaron, Tai-Min and Mike chatting about tops

"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »

And more:

Mike preparing to throw the Riddler

After a couple practice throws, Mike catches the Riddler.

Mike watching me play with the Riddler

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

Mike also showed us a lot about tops and some history lessons too.

Such as Don Olney's large plastic top.  We had fun playing with the top.  Here's Aaron doing his magic with it.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »

Mike continued playing with our array of tops.

Mike giving a good cheese with his thumbs up at UC with the Charlie Brown top.

Mike also attempted an infamous version of the chin spin with Charlie Brown.  Large wood tops to face apparently burn a little.

Mike also showed us many new things.  Such as proof that he still can do a double upside-down merry-go-round.

For taking time to visit us amatuers, we made a mid-sized top, "Preacher Top," for Mike:

And Chipotle!!

At the end of the day, Mike told us we should go for the Spintastic First 8 tricks and apparently we passed! ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:04:54 PM by hemingsoft »

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

Here's mike throwing Charlie Brown.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/2paXhmmrOkE&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

physboy2357

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »

Mikefest was a blast!!!  Thanks Mike for coming!  I can't wait to meet more spin toppers soon. 

Speaking of which,  I'm going to be in Tallahassee, FL in 2 weeks.  Does anyone know if TSA will allow my new QS through? or should I stick to the plastic tops?  Also, Mike tells me there are a few spin toppers in that area??? 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »

Oh, wow! Does Mike look happy! He was probably pinching himself to check he had not died and was in paradise  :D  Hanging with fellow topspinners from Ohio, throwing giant tops, even eating at Chipotle! Perhaps the chin spin with Charlie Brown was to see if he woke up  ;)

The cart of tops is fascinating! You really had a secret spinning society going on at UC!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »

What a day at the University of Cincinnati!!!  Even an extra hour in the car on the way home (stupid traffic jams) didn't damper the smile on my face.  You are right, Jorge, it was better than I could have imagined.  I didn't think I would have this many people to spin tops with until next worlds.  Paradise?......to this guy it felt like it!  I know SpinQueen is laughing because I talked them into eating at Chipotle.  Who could have asked for a better ending to a top spinning gathering?

To the UC bunch, I really appreciate all your kind comments and the photos.  It brings back all the wonderful spinning memories from the trip.  And the hospitality from all you guys was so terrific.

I have so much more to say but I have some errands to run right now.  I'll be back on later to recap a few more things.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »

While we wait for all of Mike's insider information about the UC secret fraternity of spinners, I'll try to answer Aaron's question.  Tallahassee used to be Top Throwing Central when Steve Brown, Lao Alovus, and others where throwing there. Matt Ritter continued the tradition while working at Lofty Pursuits (www.loftypursuits.com) the brick-and-mortar retail shop of Infinite Illusions. Dropping by Lofty may be the best way of contacting top spinners. Lao, his brother Alan and Matt may still be around there as I believe they were going to Florida State (although Matt did not come to worlds, so it makes me doubt it).  Alan wrote to me a couple of months ago. I'll try to find out.

I have always checked my HPs and QS out of fear of not passing by TSA. To worlds I took with me the Acrobat with not problems, but it is smaller and the tip is made out of plastic.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »

Yes, it was not easy to get to the inner workings of this secret organization on the campus of the University of Cincinnati.  I had some clues I found on the internet about a covert operation lurking in the darkest depths of the physics building.  So as not to be too visible, I slowly approached their hideout by circling the buildings and sneaking up on them.  When I had them cornered, I made my move.  I forced them to bring out all their tops and let me use each and every one of them.  They were hesitant, but what could they do.  I was bigger than all of them.  And since I am #2, I try harder.  I would not be ignored.  For two hours I made them throw with me and, even worse, I made them listen to my stories!  To top it all off, I would not allow them eat just any food......I made them eat my food.  I know what I did was a terrible thing but sometimes one must be shrewd and sly for the greater good of humanity.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »

Did I mention that while doing my errands I saw a rainbow?  Who could ask for a better end to a day off.  The reality, though, is that even more great stuff was coming my way.  I had yet to throw the "preacher top"!

Geeemaneeee Christmas, what a great spinner that preacher top is.  I had a terrific session and got a great workout with it in bearing mode and also in fixed tip mode.  thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU johnm!!!  What a kind and generous gift.

He has been so clever with his big tops.......the Riddler, Charlie Brown, Twister, and the Flash.  I didn't want to throw them and chew them up but John was insistent and pointed out that the Riddler has been damaged many times.  I tried my best to be careful but my first throw just missed the fire hydrant!  Whew, I thought they might consider me kicking off of campus before I even got started.  I appreciate his patience with the Riddler and I finally got it, but not before a lot of failures!  It was worth it, though, as the adrenalin and endorphins felt wonderful when the Riddler was solved.  Wait, I just noticed a bump and a red sore on my shin.  Oh yea, I guess the Riddler wasn't totally solved as it did get me in the leg. 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »

Late in our spinning session I showed them my bag and patches.  I was quick to highlight (brag about) my Spintastics awards and how they helped me progress along my spinning journey.  When I mentioned that I was a "certified instructor" they said "so you can pass us on our requirements for the badges."  Next thing you know, they were all throwing like crazy and earning their 8 trick badge.  Dale Oliver will be thrilled to know that I am now out of his Spintastics Team patches and all the trick badges he gave me a couple years ago.  I'm going to have to get some more because these guys are getting pretty far on their 16 trick requirements.

What a great day I had.  Thanks John, Allen, Bryan and Tai-Min from Shanlin township, Kaohsiung County in Taiwan.  I'm thrilled to hear what you guys are up to next and to see your progress with tops!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:06:49 PM by Mike Hout »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »

Yes, it was not easy to get to the inner workings of this secret organization on the campus of the University of Cincinnati.  I had some clues I found on the internet about a covert operation lurking in the darkest depths of the physics building.  So as not to be too visible, I slowly approached their hideout by circling the buildings and sneaking up on them.  When I had them cornered, I made my move.  I forced them to bring out all their tops and let me use each and every one of them.  They were hesitant, but what could they do.  I was bigger than all of them.  And since I am #2, I try harder.  I would not be ignored.  For two hours I made them throw with me and, even worse, I made them listen to my stories!  To top it all off, I would not allow them eat just any food......I made them eat my food.  I know what I did was a terrible thing but sometimes one must be shrewd and sly for the greater good of humanity.

I think Mike has a touch of Stockholm syndrome.  You can clearly see that we've trapped him by blocking his escape with a cart of tops and spectators and we had plenty of ropes around in case he needed to be subdued.  He's clever though, as on one occasion he took some of our top bait and pretended to miss a boomerang and allowed it to roll under the pedestrian bridge which we had failed to properly guard, but with freedom in his sights he returned.  We proceeded to extract spintop information using our harshest interrogation techniques which included hypnotizing spiral patterns on tops.  Finally we broke his spirit and forced him to break into his bag of tricks and spill his secrets of the trade.  Even though he was able to finally escape by having us loaded down with food, I suspect we've warped his mind so much he'll return to his captors again someday.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »

Now we know why Mike is a preacher!

He truly has found heaven!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com